PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with printing under DAPPER ?

patrick295767
June 4th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Are you happy with printing under DAPPER ?

christhemonkey
June 4th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Yes.

My printer was plugged in and detected straight off.
Right click in printer setup. click add. Select printer. Select driver. Done.

barbarian
June 4th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Yes, my old Epson Stylus 440 works properly with Kubuntu.

OffHand
June 4th, 2006, 05:06 PM
My HP Deskjet 843C works fine.

Xilon
June 4th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I still can't connect/setup my hpsc1210 from my dad's WinXP box... it keeps asking me for a username/password which I don't need...

tseliot
June 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
my hp 5740 works great here.

tseliot
June 4th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I still can't connect/setup my hpsc1210 from my dad's WinXP box... it keeps asking me for a username/password which I don't need...
type the username and password which you use to log in in Ubuntu

zenwhen
June 4th, 2006, 05:33 PM
My HP Photosmart 7350 works perfectly. Far easier to set up than it was in WIndows.

Biltong (Dee)
June 4th, 2006, 05:37 PM
My Officejet Pro won't print at all.
I suppose it might be wise to fix it.... :-)

henriquemaia
June 4th, 2006, 05:41 PM
My HP 920C works flawlessly, even colour printing. No complaints.

BWF89
June 4th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Anyone know if the Canon MP500 is supported by Dapper?

isotonic
June 4th, 2006, 05:49 PM

plexi50
June 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM
HP 5850 networked through my other Linux box working great, although I would love to figure out how to use the wireless printing feature through Linux.

dvarsam
June 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM
My Canon's i550 Color printing, only improved in the Red Color!

In the past (in Ubuntu v5.10), all my Color-print-jobs, printed as if I had selected "draft" quality... (Colors faded-out...)

Now (with Ubuntu v6.06), when I print in Color, the Red-Color comes out nice, but Blue & Yellow Colors, still come-out as "draft" quality...

It is pretty close, but NOT there yet...

christhemonkey
June 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Anyone know if the Canon MP500 is supported by Dapper?

It isnt listed in the CUPS database, so its not likely.
Best bet is just to plug it in and try it.
(unless you are just considering buying one,in which case no idea)

frenkel
June 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM
The HP PSC 1215 connected to my parents computer (Windows XP) works great on my computer, via samba/cups.

SaadN
June 4th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Yes,

It detected my printer, although I had to make it seem like I had the Lexmark E210, when I acutally had Dell Laser MFP 1600n. :P

crypto178
June 4th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Nothing new on the printing front here. My HP PSC 2210 works mostly well, but sometimes just refuses to print anything and a reboot is necessary.

GarethMB
June 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Yes. HP5740 works

disturbed1
June 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Yep, Epson R200 works out of the box, and prints to CDs.
Samsung ML-1710 laser also works fine.

timetunnel
June 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I'm very happy with Dapper so far, except for one thing: printing. My HP 5940 works perfectly in general (e.g. with OpenOffice). However, GNOME has a serious problem regarding the printer quality settings. Whatever I set the printer quality (draft, B/W) to, GNOME applications always use normal quality and color. This has been reported already :

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/libgnomecups/+bug/34112

I really hope that's going to be fixed soon because I consider this a crucial feature for a desktop OS.

So, I'd say: No, I'm not happy at all with printing under Dapper.

Xilon
June 5th, 2006, 12:23 PM
type the username and password which you use to log in in Ubuntu
Ok that worked... it sends the file to the printer sucesfully but it doesn't actually print :| It makes some weird noises as if it was about too but then just stops and the status under "Jobs" on Windows says it's printing... weird

Edit: After furthur playing around and trying to print off another networked PC (running Windows) it seems that Ubuntu sends out a lot of encapsulation (or whatever it is) for the data. Trying to pring a blank page from Ubuntu results in a 110KB file being sent to the printer. Printing a blank page from teh windows machine results in a 3kB file being sent to the printer... It looks like the printer or the XP machine just chokes on the file being sent and is unable to receive it.

eMuNiX
June 5th, 2006, 12:28 PM
My Epson C64, via an HP JetDirect, works fine, but it has only started working recently though. My Canon BJC4550 A3 inkjet doesn’t work at the moment though, it works in Breezy and all other distros, but not in Dapper (I might try a fresh install rather than the upgrade that I have at the moment)

bcarp
June 5th, 2006, 02:59 PM
How many are printing via network?
I have a cups server that 2 ubuntu machines could print to when they were breezy, now 1 machine updated when flight 6 came out and could not print. I waited until the final version to update my machine, now it also can not print.
Nothing has changed on the cups server....

Any help out there?

blerina
June 8th, 2006, 12:32 PM
hp psc 1610 succesfully(and very easy) installed and the test page printed, but when I try to print an 6x4 photo it doesent work. no error message. just in the printed jobs stay "stopped".

terminatorkobold
June 8th, 2006, 05:07 PM
No,

my lexmark z32 doesn't work anymore since I updated from breezy to dapper. :(

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=191373 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=191373)

bonzodog
June 8th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Yes, very happy. My Epson R200 Photo Printer was set-up in about 5 minutes.

matthew
June 8th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Yes, I've had no problems with my HP LaserJet 1100

oyvindaa
June 8th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I'm not happy with printing on Linux generally and that's because drivers for my printer doesn't exist, apart from TurboPrint and I do not want to pay for a driver. The printing quality of the free TurboPrint driver is very poor and then there's the ugly logo, which you can actually disable by turning the dpi down to 300 .. sigh :(

Next time around I'll just buy a HP printer.

Blue1k
June 9th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I still can't print with the new turboprint for my Canon Printer. I upgraded to the new 1.94 version and it worked fun with cups 1.2 in Fedora but it refuses to print clearly any docs containing diagrams, or any PDFS.

Is there STILL a bug with this?

Very very dissapointing :(

munwin
June 9th, 2006, 01:53 AM
We have a HP 1320n here, that I can print to via USB, but not network.
We have an Oki C9800 (big colour networked laser), that Cups doesn't have a driver for, and the general postscript over the network wont work.
A Kyocera 1100 using USB - good.
A Canon iR2200 across the network, using Cups - no good.
A Canon iR6570 across the network, using Cups - no good.

So networked large printers don't seem so good. USB stuff seems OK.

We have hepas of others, but I don't want to test any more, as networked stuff just doesn't want to play.....

John.Michael.Kane
June 9th, 2006, 02:04 AM
I don't have a printer. what are some of the issues you all seem to have, and with what model's? i know HP seems to be the best at working with linux atleast from what i read.

dk_pa
June 12th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Printing to a previous installed printer (installed under Breezy) is fine but I can't install an additional networked printer. Well, I could install it with "installing new driver" but a couple weren't workign right so I started new with it.

Now I can't add the printer because the driver list doesn't work and I can't install an additional driver it thinks it already has. I have tried the CUPS web interface but that rejects my username and password. Kinda stuck :|

richbarna
June 12th, 2006, 02:09 AM
My Canon printer is now redundant (Canon s*ks Big Style) If there is anyone from Canon on this forum, You s*ck !
It will be given away and replaced with an Epson.
If anyone is planning on buying a Canon printer, DON'T !!!
Not until the greedy lazy moneygrabbers release their drivers into the Linux community.
I call for a Canon Boycott, by everybody.
Did I mention that Canon s*cks ? :)

disturbed1
June 12th, 2006, 02:35 AM
My Canon printer is now redundant (Canon s*ks Big Style) If there is anyone from Canon on this forum, You s*ck !
It will be given away and replaced with an Epson.
If anyone is planning on buying a Canon printer, DON'T !!!
Not until the greedy lazy moneygrabbers release their drivers into the Linux community.
I call for a Canon Boycott, by everybody.
Did I mention that Canon s*cks ? :)
:mrgreen:

I know what you mean. I had these Canon models, s820 ($189), i850($150), i960($250). They did work using the www.turboprint.de (http://www.turboprint.de) drivers. But I didn't see a reason to pay to use my printer, so I either gave them away or threw them away, and have now stuck with Epson, Samsung, Brother, and HP.

Considering I tend to use up a printer every 10-15 months, that a nice chunk of change Canon has lost from me.

jimrz
June 12th, 2006, 02:41 AM
hp psc 1610 succesfully(and very easy) installed and the test page printed, but when I try to print an 6x4 photo it doesent work. no error message. just in the printed jobs stay "stopped".

Ooops (maybe)...hp psc 1610 succesfully(and very easy) installed, the test page printed, have been able to print from various apps with no problem and scanner works properly. However, since installing dapper, I have not tried any photo printing to specific size photo paper. Guess I better go pick up some photo paper (ran out a while back and have not gotten around to it yet) and check it out.

EDIT: just tested printing a .jpg to plain paper and it came out very nice.

The Mekon
June 12th, 2006, 11:50 PM
On my Ubuntu Dapper machine I have an HP deskjet 948c which installs uner System/Administration/Printing.

We also have a Pixma ip3000 on my wifes Windows XP box which I have installed over a wireless network using the Howto at the following link (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=38995&highlight=Pixma+ip4000). This was written for Hoary but works with Breezy and Dapper.

It provides a cleaner output as my 948c is old and tempremental.

Both printers work very well.

nomeat
June 13th, 2006, 06:03 AM
No, they have screwed things up somehow.

My Lexmark X4270 that worked happily with the z42 driver under Breezy/Horary is now useless and I am frustrated.

...and no help available as it seems. :(

awakatanka
June 13th, 2006, 08:42 AM
No, my canon ip1500 doesn't work anymore it worked on breezy.

odysseus_nz
June 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Nope, not happy. I have an HP Photosmart 3310 wireless printer/scanner/fax unit. I like to use it wirelessly to save cables and allow to print from my laptop anywhere in the house. Under my old distro, PCLOS based on Mandriva, the Mandriva printer/scanner wizard auto-detected and installed both printer and scanner, no fuss about them being wireless, they just worked. In Kubuntu i had to manually detect and install the printer (not a huge deal), but the scanner just doesn't work.

Why? Because Ubuntu comes with HPLIP 0.9.7 which was released way way back in November 2005, and wireless scanning was only added in HPLIP 0.9.8 which was released way back in January. In fact 0.9.9 was released in February with fax support, 0.9.10 in March, 0.9.11 in May, and 1.0 was released in June.

Surely if we want to be taken seriously as a desktop distro we should at least ship with fairly up-to-date set of printer drivers? And don't tell me it wasn't recent enough / stable enough, when we shipped with a beta of Cups 1.2.

John.

disturbed1
June 18th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Nope, not happy. I have an HP Photosmart 3310 wireless printer/scanner/fax unit. I like to use it wirelessly to save cables and allow to print from my laptop anywhere in the house. Under my old distro, PCLOS based on Mandriva, the Mandriva printer/scanner wizard auto-detected and installed both printer and scanner, no fuss about them being wireless, they just worked. In Kubuntu i had to manually detect and install the printer (not a huge deal), but the scanner just doesn't work.

Why? Because Ubuntu comes with HPLIP 0.9.7 which was released way way back in November 2005, and wireless scanning was only added in HPLIP 0.9.8 which was released way back in January. In fact 0.9.9 was released in February with fax support, 0.9.10 in March, 0.9.11 in May, and 1.0 was released in June.

Surely if we want to be taken seriously as a desktop distro we should at least ship with fairly up-to-date set of printer drivers? And don't tell me it wasn't recent enough / stable enough, when we shipped with a beta of Cups 1.2.

John.
Grab HPLIP data first from here
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=all&file=pool%2Fmain%2Fh%2Fhplip%2Fhplip-data_0.9.11-2_all.deb&md5sum=d3470419504bf288bb50575cd95753e9&arch=all&type=main

and then the driver from here
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=i386&file=pool%2Fmain%2Fh%2Fhplip%2Fhplip_0.9.11-2_i386.deb&md5sum=03e34dd39279b1751e4a669645fa5b85&arch=i386&type=main

These are for
hplip_0.9.11-2

Doing that much research on which driver supports which models, and what was added when, should have turned up the newer debian packages for you. And yes these packages are still considered unstable. The newest HPLIP driver is 1.6.6 which fixed 28 bugs from the previous release.

You can read the change log here (http://hplip.sourceforge.net/release_notes.html) and compile from source if need be.

snellgrove
June 18th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I haven't ever tried printing at home.

But, I tried printing with Dapper at work the other day and was simply amazed :) (yes, I was playing with Dapper at work on a spare PC :D )

I had quite low expectations though, as I had seen plenty of threads mentioning printing problems etc

So I went through this cool wizard type thing, and it hooked up to a JetDirect HP LaserJet 2100n and printed out this Ubuntu test page, which I assume if it were a colour printer would show all the colours.

Very happy with it overall

Stormy Eyes
June 18th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Yep. I had no trouble getting CUPS to recognise my Brother HL-2040 laser printer. I shared it out with Samba and got my MacBook to print to it as well.

K.Mandla
June 18th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Lexmark E232 works fine, but uses the Optra E321 driver. No problem.

odysseus_nz
June 20th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Doing that much research on which driver supports which models, and what was added when, should have turned up the newer debian packages for you. And yes these packages are still considered unstable. The newest HPLIP driver is 1.6.6 which fixed 28 bugs from the previous release.

Yes, but the question was not if I was happy about _Debian_ printing...

I knew most of that stuff anyway from my last distro working its way through the upgrades until everything finally just worked

Anyway, thanks for the links, that was to be my next port of call when I found time.

John.

odysseus_nz
June 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Grab HPLIP data first from here
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=all&file=pool%2Fmain%2Fh%2Fhplip%2Fhplip-data_0.9.11-2_all.deb&md5sum=d3470419504bf288bb50575cd95753e9&arch=all&type=main

and then the driver from here
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=i386&file=pool%2Fmain%2Fh%2Fhplip%2Fhplip_0.9.11-2_i386.deb&md5sum=03e34dd39279b1751e4a669645fa5b85&arch=i386&type=main

These are for
hplip_0.9.11-2

FYI all, no go on those DEB's, they require a bunch of more recent versions of libusb and libstdc++ and lib gcc1 the like that's too risky to mess with. Compile from source instead and use checkinstall.

John.

bogl
June 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Yes and no.

I have an Epson AcuLaser C1100N (network version, accessed via IPP) which prints well...except that when a print job is completed, Ubuntu thinks that the job is still ongoing, and that job has to be deleted manually before any printhing will happen again.

Extremely irritating...anyone know any answers?

bogl

disturbed1
June 20th, 2006, 11:16 AM
FYI all, no go on those DEB's, they require a bunch of more recent versions of libusb and libstdc++ and lib gcc1 the like that's too risky to mess with. Compile from source instead and use checkinstall.

John.

Well that stinks, when I tried to install before posting the links, it didn't give any problems, but I didn't actually install.

Did you go ahead and install from source, and did it work?

Wenakko
June 24th, 2006, 09:38 AM
not at all, ip2000 canon not working anymore with turboprint

asimon
June 24th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I am not happy, what the Ubuntu devs did with CUPS is a disaster.

dantum
June 26th, 2006, 03:51 PM
I got HP Photosmart 8450 and for text printing it works fine. The moment i try and print a photo out from any application it doesn't want to know about it.

nick_hagen
June 26th, 2006, 04:37 PM
No, I purchased a Samsung ML-2010, specifically because they support linux and have developed a driver for their printer, it worked OUTSTANDING in Breezy and now, I just fresh installed Dapper and I can't get the driver installed for the life of me.

I will email Samsung and ask that they revise the driver to support CUPS 1.2+, but I would hope that the CUPS developers did not break backwards compatability. What else has changed that would cause this?

sundman
June 26th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Did you go ahead and install from source, and did it work?

My HP DeskJet 5150 stopped working when upgrading, trying to reinstall failed with no device detected. Installing hplip 1.6.6 from source worked well and works fine. It would have been nice to know checkinstall before installing. Now updating will be intresting.

bruce89
June 26th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Yes, mine works, but a lot of other people seem to have issues. It could be because of using Gutenprint 5.0.0rc2 (used to be called gimpprint, changed as MacOS X users thought it was the GIMP)

wimva
June 26th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Not really at the moment. Have done a new clean Dapper install and I'm trying to print to a HL-1050 printer connected via USB. The good news is that the printer is automatically detected and a resonable HL1250 driver is proposed. However, the bad news is that most of the times, the print jobs just stay put in the print queue ... doing nothing. I can see them, but they will not print. Must say there are other mentions on this forum of jobs not leaving the print queue. Bummer.

Ubunted
June 27th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Not really. My IP3000 has never worked properly. Mind you I bought it before switching and didn't bother checking compatibility.

RAV TUX
June 27th, 2006, 02:23 AM
old HP 1115 works great!

looking into buying a new printer:

Epson Stylus Photo R2400 Printer

I checked compatibility and it says that it is compatibly

Tulip
June 27th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I didnt have any luck getting a Sharp AL-1000 working, so I got a Samsung ML6060 since it had Linux drivers available for it. Unfortunately I havent been able to get it working either, and Im not real impressed with that! Im waiting for a reply from Samsung Tech support, hopefully they can shed some light on the problem.

I've tried installing a couple of Canon printers too - the F60 and the MP360 and got reasonably close (they printed something at least!), but the quality was poor and was reduced in size. Canon are a bunch of miserable gits - they're not developing drivers for these printers that will work with XP Pro 64bit either. I wont be buying any more of their printers again, for myself or to sell through my business. So there! ;)

slimdog360
June 27th, 2006, 04:49 AM
no, my canon ip3000 does not work very well at all. I understand though that there is alot of printers out there and they cant support them all.
But still the iPixma series is quite popular so I think it would be a good idea to include these drivers.

bittdude
June 27th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Hell yeah I love printing in Linux or more specifically Drapper. I have a HP Laserjet 1300 and it takes less than 10 seconds to setup up and printing is instantaneous.

By comparison in Windows, the drivers for my printer aren't built into Windows (This includes Vista) so installation takes 10 minutes while it sets up the printer. I get software that loads up on startup and there is a slight delay in sending the document to the printer.

grizzly
June 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM
No, the deafut printout settings prints in colour mode , that is only colour and no black. Besides that the draft mode doesn't work

AndyCooll
June 27th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Yes. HP DeskJet 990cxi. Takes seconds to add. Only print standard stuff so added features (or lack of them in some cases) isn't an issue for me.

:cool:

loserboy
June 30th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Yes, HP deskjet 5940.
works perfect instant detection

mustang
June 30th, 2006, 08:09 PM
HP Deskjet 970C works flawlessly. I can even configure the inksettings and double-sided settings with no problem.

bruce89
June 30th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Well mine works fine, so yes.

Derek Djons
June 30th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Well, I even didn't had the chance to print anything. I own two printer now, both All-In-One's. My Epson Stylus DX3850 isn't being recognized by either Ubuntu Linux as Mac OS X. A bit my fault though... I could of known that I was going to switch to Linux / Mac OS X for good.

Now I've bought a HP PSC 1510. It's working fine under Mac OS X, I still have to try it under Ubuntu Linux.

bwayman
July 1st, 2006, 01:16 AM
My Samung ML-1740 works great. But, had to tell dapper that my laser printer was the ML-1710.

Compucore
July 1st, 2006, 03:22 AM
My apollo 2150 works fine over here. Since its using the same driver that are the same as the others in the listing. And works nicely with color.

Compucore

canadianwriterman
July 1st, 2006, 05:58 PM
Dapper does not support the MP500 fully. I purchased TurboPrint and it works perfectly.

rgcrowley
July 1st, 2006, 06:17 PM
My HP 4240 does not work at all. I've seen others with the same problems for a HP 4200 but so far no solutions have been available that I can find.

umuro
July 2nd, 2006, 11:48 PM
Brother mfc7820n does not work. It's a usb printer and cups thinks that the printer is not connected at all.

umuro
July 3rd, 2006, 12:27 AM
MFC7820N works great after some tweaking: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1206934#post1206934. And your grandma cannot do that. So I am unhappy.

codejunkie
July 3rd, 2006, 12:38 AM
very pleased here, now it even works with my old compaq ij300 inkjet printer.

zenwhen
July 3rd, 2006, 12:48 AM
Photosmart 7350 working great here.

mtpadilla
July 4th, 2006, 05:14 AM
No, not happy at all. My HP Laserjet 1012 installed without any problems and works very well....HOWEVER, there is a severe lack of reasonable and standard printing options in 6.06, such as printing >1 page per sheet, etc. Totally unacceptable.

Brando569
July 4th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Absolutely Not. I'm VERY displeased at the (lack of) printer support in Dapper. my HP1610 AIO worked flawlessly in Hoary and Breezy but ever since Dapper Became final i have yet to get it to work. Also Dapper doesnt even support the old printer that is connected to my dads computer (breezy did). theres all of like 5 printers under the HP catagory :mad:

flint_
July 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Greetings,

It is simple for me. Ever try to get any version of Ubuntu to print to a network attached printer?

Take the Canon ir5020 I am trying to print to at a customer site. After three hours I finally got the clue from http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2126 to "fix" cups. Now the damn driver wants to print from the "legal" paper bin exclusively!!!!!

I know this sounds trite, but fix this.

Regards,

Flint
flint_ is online now Edit/Delete Message

Enigmatic
July 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM
For some reason my HP 1012 prints very low resolution images, and changing print resolution doesn't seem to help.

thecityofgold2006
July 4th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Samsung ML1210 = WORKS!
Epson 760 = WORKS!
Epson PictureMate 100 = DOES NOT WORK!

Close but no cigar. If someone would work out why my PictureMate doesn't work I'd be happy.

The Sisko
July 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Not at all.
I have a Canon ipixma 4000 and a Minolta PagePro 1350W. I made them work for Breezy i386 (Canon provides the rpm packages in its site in Japan that you convert with alien, etc. For the Minolta you compile the min12xxw). The Minolta also worked perfectly for Breezy amd64.
I have not tried the HP PhotoSmart 100 yet.
Now, under Dapper, I cannot make the Minolta work in either architecture (32 and 64 bits) and the Canon barely works on 32 bits (it is slow and cannot print graphics).
I have read about the printing problems with Dapper, it is really bad.

phico
July 4th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Network mutifuntion printer HP 2610

I had to install latest HPLIB version (1.6.6a ouch ubuntu version is so old ?!?)
from http://hplip.sourceforge.net/ to get the scanner working with Xsane.

Download the tar.gz and follow installation instructions on their website

bigken
July 4th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Yep thanks to bobsongs
brother mfc3820cn print and scan through wireless network from 5 pc's :D

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=105703

Johnsie
July 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM
No, especially printing to windows network shared printers.

Blondie
July 4th, 2006, 11:29 PM
My HP 940c works fine once I have clicked System>Adminstration>Printing so no complaints from me. Easier than Windows in fact.

Bil-E-daKid
July 11th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Me neither - though I have a Canon MP780 and used to successfully use the ip4100 drivers from canon.jp in Breezy. Dapper just broke it and it still doesn't work....

whynotchevron
July 11th, 2006, 01:41 AM
perfect print hp deskjet 656c local and canon s330 networked using drivers from canon site .:KS

savilash
July 11th, 2006, 02:00 AM
One word ... NO. I have a lexmark e230 connected to a HP print server. I know I can get my Ubuntu PC to print through the p/s as evidenced by the crap that the printer printed. However, I can seem to find the printer driver that I downloaded from Lexmark. Otherwise, very happy with Ubuntu and thinking of ditching MicroShmucks programs all together.

Linuturk
July 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM
YES and NO

YES: The new Add Printer gui in gnome is wonderful. I've added several HP Printers that work wonderfully.

NO: Printing from my XP machine via Samba is a pain in the butt that I still haven't figured out. This needs to be simplified.

kop316
July 11th, 2006, 11:13 PM
It took me longer to type something in Openoffice.org to print to make sure the printer worked then actually detecting the printer (hp 5510 all-in-one).

migraineboy
July 11th, 2006, 11:34 PM
NOPE. My Lexmark X1195 doesn't work at all.

sumadartson
July 12th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Nope. Don't seem to be able to print via windows server here at work.

Old Narnian
July 13th, 2006, 02:58 AM
No. I cannot seem to print pictures or color images with my Epson Photo Stylus 870. I have tried the recommended driver on Ubuntu, Gutenprint, and turboprinting, to no avail. With the recommended driver, I just get a very light blur of color when I print picture. Grayscale is fine, but this printer was meant for more than that. I sure would appreciate any suggestions. -Old Narnian

gabbman
July 13th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Yes, HP PSC1210 works as advertised on my home network.

OBnascar
July 14th, 2006, 11:07 PM
I am really disapointed in Dapper, my HP 4200 series worked perfect in Breezy but I have almost given up trying to get it to work in Dapper.

bruce89
July 14th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I can't remember if I have posted here yet, but it's fine with a Epson Stylus Photo 790.

avtolle
July 17th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Brother HL-2040 works as local printer out of the box for me. There are a few options available in the Windows/OSX drivers, e.g., duplex printing, reporting on toner levels, not working, but in general, works well. Shows up as Brother HL-2060.

OBnascar
July 17th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Ok, I did manage to get my HP Officejet 4215 and my HP PSC 1315 all-in-one both working in Ubuntu Dapper 6.06.

I just did not understand how to set it up, I got help at the LQ forums (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=464643)

Best Regards,
OBnascar

guopai
July 18th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Almost happy, but not yet...

My printer is Brother DCP-115C. Ubuntu nor Brother doesn't have driver for it. Brother suggest using MFC-210C driver instead. It does print, but the top margin on the paper is always very narrow, leaving bottom margin wide. I still don't know how to fix this. Apart from this Brother all-in-one, everything works fine. This is the only reason why I keep Windows partition.

3rdalbum
July 18th, 2006, 09:05 AM
My Canon BJC-2100SP worked fine under Breezy on PPC and x86. I upgraded to Dapper, and it worked for a little while, but then whenever I tried to print the job wouldn't actually reach the printer.

I haven't tried again since I installed the CUPS updates. But, from the failures I had, no I'm not happy with printing on Dapper.

gurgle
July 20th, 2006, 05:16 AM
how are people printing to CD's on the Epson R200?

I tried the "print to cd" option in Eye of Gnome, and it didnt print out right :(

martinbures
July 23rd, 2006, 10:50 PM
Mostly. I have an HP LaserJet 4L. Under Breezy, it worked great. When I first installed one of the later stages of Dapper, it worked fine. After a CUPS update, it no longer works properly. When you print a document, it takes about 5 minutes for the printer to wake up and print. Then the printer will be unavailable for at least another 5 minutes. It just seems to be offline when you look at the preferences. Any ideas?

Thanks.
martin

OBnascar
July 23rd, 2006, 10:58 PM
Mostly. I have an HP LaserJet 4L. Under Breezy, it worked great. When I first installed one of the later stages of Dapper, it worked fine. After a CUPS update, it no longer works properly. When you print a document, it takes about 5 minutes for the printer to wake up and print. Then the printer will be unavailable for at least another 5 minutes. It just seems to be offline when you look at the preferences. Any ideas?

Thanks.
martin

This thread is so long, I would start a new one, I am sure it will get more attention that way.

Good lucky,
OBnascar

Old Narnian
August 7th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Reading the information at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters, I noticed that a lot of the Epson Stylus printers need cupsys-driver-gimpprint from the universe repository. I installed this, and now my Epson Stylus Photo 870 works just fine. :) Took a bit of research and guesswork, though.

cantormath
August 7th, 2006, 10:16 AM

its good enough. Unfortunely, you can view ink levels, or printer properties like you can in windows.

Enigmatic
August 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM
One thing that I think may be related to the light printing on the HP 1012 is the fact that I can't select a resolution on the dropdown box on the printer properties page. (?)

der_joachim
August 11th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I do not know, actually. Since Dapper I have had to reconfigure three printers, both at home and at work. However, I know that in that same time a new version of CUPS has been released, so it could be a CUPS thing and not a Dapper thing.

On the other hand, I'm quite happily using a printer which is not officially supported. (HP LaserJet 1020). I had to recompile a driver, which took me the best part of 30 seconds. The search was about 60 seconds, and various other things took another minute. The official XP driver took much longer to install. :roll:

OBnascar
August 11th, 2006, 06:17 PM
HP 4215 OfficeJet

Lets talk about not totally happy with a printer in Linux.

1. at one time there was an option in the printer settings to print front to back, and back to front. Everthing prints backwards now and there is no option. What happened to it ?

2. why is there not a cartridge ink level info available ?

3. I use Ubuntu Dapper for work and print tons of things out each day. Why should I have to boot up WinXP just to have a standard number of print options ?

4. these options that MS has for HP printing are not that surprising nor complicated.

5. if one just wants to print a sheet and don't care, it works fine.

Ubuntu/HP, please, please give me better and more printing options....I love Ubuntu.....

s6dalane
August 11th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Yes.
I have a HP LaserJet 6L and it works nicely under Dapper. I have no other printer experiences though.

%hMa@?b<C
August 11th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Yes, i am extremely happy with my hp deskjet 3420 under Dapper. It recognised it, found the driver, and away we print!
breezy,on the other hand...

Narpas
August 17th, 2006, 08:27 PM
My Dell 720 Printer works moderatly well after a half hour of non-intuitive setup. :-/

zxee
August 17th, 2006, 08:51 PM
My printing problems have nothing to do with ubuntu or any linux I've used.
I read here that some people were supportive of epson but I'd never go back to them. 1st they have chips on their ink tanks to force you to replace them. Ok I know that there's a way around that and I fill my own tanks and use the little device that fools/resets the chip on the ink tank.
Good deal you might say, but the heads clog very frequently. I also fill the non-chipped tanks on a canon printer (used on a older mac for photo quality work) and have no problems on that with print head clogging.
BTW I have a stylus C60 it's always recognized in cups/linux. But it's not always ready for duty.
So I'm very pleased with printer recognition in ubuntu-dapper, and I'll be in the market for a non-epson printer eventually.

tootlet
August 18th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Sorry but no. New to Kubuntu. Wiped SUSE 10.0 to install. Kubuntu won't print to my HP Laserjet 4 Plus yet. Several of the listed drivers won't load and the ones that do won't work. Came here to try and trouble shoot. But I've spent an hour so far on it and still can't print. No such problems in SUSE or Mandriva.

T

prizrak
August 18th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Actually yes. It sucked horribly on my other laptop and on the desktop, but this laptop connected to a network printer at work flawlessly. Even though it didn't have the driver for it, I chose one for an older model and it happily printed me a test page. It may be that the issue is CUPS not liking regular printers much but anything networked should work well.

talrasha
August 18th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I'm currently using Ubuntu 5.10 and I'm just wondering if I can install my HP 3550 printer on it without using the CD Driver included in the package... Can Ubuntu 5.10 automatically detect my printer?:?:

alan yeates
August 18th, 2006, 09:37 PM
My HP LJ 6mp went in like a dream, but my inkjet is a Canon ip3000, so I had to buy TurboPrint, sob sob! On the other hand I used 3rd party software for printing in *******, which gave me many years of money saving in consumables, and replaced Windows dodgy spooler. Looks like Tuboprint may have similar benefits, certainly in ink saving! I was amused to find a bug in XP sp2 which causes crashes when printing WMF's - the biter bit!

jural
August 19th, 2006, 03:25 AM
local printing seems fine, but lan printing is simply not working. Gentoo boxes are fine, but the uptodate ubuntu is not working... fustrating, 40+ boxes at a collage they want ubuntu but they can't print. Only wish I could find a thread where someone actually gave an answer instead of the handful of "Fixed it! :)" Driving me nuts.

Polygon
August 19th, 2006, 07:19 AM
both of my printers work under dapper, the one that is connected locally via lpt1 port or whatever, and a lan printer thats connected to my dads computer. the only hard part was trying to figure out what port my lan printer used... i just used trial and error as the network page printed by the printer only gave ip, no port

but it works, and im happy with it!

printers: old as hell HP Deskjet 660Cse and a HP-Laserjet 1022nw

BatteryCell
August 20th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Nah, my Hp 712c worked under breezy but wont work under Dapper, I've tried editing the pnm2ppa.conf file every way that is said to "fix it", but that doesnt work. I mean, it doesnt fail or anything, it just doesnt print, cups says that its doing its job (no errors) yes nothing is actually printed. :-|

bogl
August 20th, 2006, 07:14 PM
My problem (jobs failing to clear from cups when completed) was solved by following these instructions:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=644877&postcount=14

Effectively uninstalling and reinstalling cups. Did the trick beautifully.

I would recommend anyone with printing problems to give it a go, esp.if (like me) you did an upgrade Breezy > Dapper and not a clean Dapper install.

bogl

kou
August 28th, 2006, 05:03 AM
I have a "Epson Stylus Photo R200" and works fine (txt, pdf, high definition pictures)
And a "Samsung Ml 1210" great for documents and pdf.

coffeejunkie
August 30th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Now, under Dapper, I cannot make the Minolta work in either architecture (32 and 64 bits) and the Canon barely works on 32 bits (it is slow and cannot print graphics).
I have read about the printing problems with Dapper, it is really bad.

I have a Minolta/QMS PagePro 1250W and finally got it to work. I posted the steps on

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1439228#post1439228

Overall I am not impressed with printing. It is incredibly slow, especially for large pdfs. Also there are very few printing options, and I haven't figured out how to pass printing jobs from any application automatically through gtklp. I print a lot 2-pages per sheet and double-sided, so this is annoying. I got it to work from Acrobat Reader but no other application. The speed issue just kills me though.

PacShady
August 30th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I'm not happy with printing in Dapper, however it's not Dapper's fault.

It's just that there's no driver available for my printer (Canon PIXMA MP170). Oh wait, yes there IS a driver available, but I have to pay MORE than what a new printer costs to use it, or else I get a big colourful logo printed on every page I print!

I'm disgusted by the fact that TurboPrint holds the ONLY driver for many printers (especially Canon printers) and yet charges $30 for the privilege of using any of them. How come they have been able to develop all these drivers and not one other person seems to have made one at all?

It's not right for TurboPrint to hold the monopoly on these drivers when they KNOW no one can access alternatives from anywhere else.

'Shady

Alan(UK)
September 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM
Really easy to set up a network printer. Only difficulty was that clicking on button to 'install driver' crashes the installation program. After two attempts, I realised that the button was to install a driver from a CD and I should not have clicked it.

I have an HP Laserjet 1100 connected to my router/firewall/printserver PC. The printer works fine from a Windows computer on the network.

My Ubuntu Dapper computer uses the recommended hpijs driver. The printer configuration is set to UNIX Printer(LPD). It prints fine but...

After each print job, the printer feeds a blank sheet which is cooked in the print engine and comes out warped - thus spoiling the sheet.

It feeds the extra sheet even when printing a single page file from gedit. It also does it when printing a document from OO.org WRITE. Printing the same .odf from OO.o in Windows to the same network printer does NOT feed the extra blank sheet at the end.

I can find no way of turning this 'feature' off.

insane_alien
September 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM
printer worked fine after 5 clicks. still working fine after 500 pages and several ink changes. its all good.

DoctorMO
September 1st, 2006, 01:22 PM
PacShady your not the only Canon owning Linux user, your printer is a model I have not seen before. I've got an Canon PIXMA iP5000 and I've been working with guttenprint to get their drivers working with my printer. I'm a programmer but that doesn't mean you can't help! you have turboprint installed you can sniff out what turbo print is sending to your printer and see if the protocalls are like any of the PIXMA drivers currently in development. altough Canon printers even where they do work have colour issues.

shunthemask
September 1st, 2006, 01:40 PM
My Canon Pixma iP3000 is the only reason that i haven't wiped my XP partition. I'm thinking of just giving the printer away and getting a new one, but I guess that I'll have to wait until I am no longer broke.

DoctorMO
September 1st, 2006, 02:23 PM
shunthemask please don't throw it away just yet, we need people who are willing to test FLOSS drivers and tools with canon printers.

clapper65
September 3rd, 2006, 06:01 AM
NO!!! I am not happy. I have a HP DeskJet 5940 that works fine on the local machine. I can not share it with other clients on the network.

cantormath
September 4th, 2006, 11:49 AM

yes

Magnes
September 4th, 2006, 11:56 AM
I have Epson Stylus 400. It works fine on Ubuntu although some options are hard to setup in both drivers that works with my printer - especially economy printing. Also - don't know why - all applications to test Epson ink level doesn't detect my printer (old not usb one). Well, but it works better than in Windows XP (Epson doesn't suppor that old model any more) when it goes to printing color images but with text it appears slower.

Donnut
September 4th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Very, I plugged in my HP 1210, hit add printer, and it worked...

xbruceyx
September 7th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Satisfied. The only step I had to do was download the update unified Samsung driver and install the drivers which then where listed in the New Printer gui
config. Easy as pie!

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=65111&page=4&highlight=samsung+ml-2010

tanari
September 8th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Everybody please sign this petition!
maybe canon will make drivers

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Software/Linux/registration.asp?ComponentID=312222&SourcePageID=312225#1

etotehpii
September 8th, 2006, 11:22 PM
It took trial and error through CUPS to get my computer printing wirelessly with Canon MP830. I think the apple airport blocks the signal from the printer back to my computer as I couldn't tell when it was printing or not. After various combinations of doing the steps on CUPS, I figured it out. Windows was a pain to get it to work with too. The drivers it came with didn't work. I ended up having to install Bonjour to get the stupid printer to work. Printing in Windows works fine now, it just tells me the printer is not responding while its printing because the signal is blocked.

Considering the work it took in both Windows and Dapper I think they BOTH need some work.:cool:
(I havn't tried scanning things in with this printer yet. I'm sure this will be a pain because of the airport blocking the signal)

Somenoob
September 8th, 2006, 11:57 PM
My printer(Hp psc 2117) was detected and worked straight off.

mokelvey
September 9th, 2006, 04:41 AM
I WISH I COULD BE.

I cannot print. The PPD for my printer is in the etc/cups/ppd. It reads:

*PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
*%
*% Printer Description file
*% for "Ricoh Aficio 1224C PS"
*%
*% CreationDate: 2001/08/08
*% Modified: 2005/08/29
*%
*% COPYRIGHT (C) 2001-2005 RICOH COMPANY, LTD.
*%

and so on for several pages.

The print dialog box reads: Name: Unknown - then info about the job - then State: Pending: printer-stopped. The print dialog box header reads: Aficio-1224C-PS - Paused.

Everything I try to print winds up like this. I could send a screen shot if that would help, but I have no idea how to get a print job completed.

I would appreciate any help. Please.

mokelvey

nrayever
September 9th, 2006, 11:30 PM
At home, i have a hp 840c (pretty old) and works great.

At my brother's office, i installed a hp laserjet color 2600n on the lan and works great with dapper, and a samsung ml-1710 attached to a router/printer server from smc and works great too!!

like 3 days ago, i found a good howto, to setup a virtual pdf-printer system wide. because i had to share some printings of pspice, which i run using crossover, with my classmates. it was really easy and simple.

that option should be added maybe to automatix!

nrayever

nrayever
September 9th, 2006, 11:36 PM

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Software/Linux/registration.asp?ComponentID=312222&SourcePageID=312225#1

link it's not working tanari. let us know when it's up again. because some canon laser printers really s%&ks with linux!! their drivers are out dated!

nrayever

nrayever
September 10th, 2006, 12:34 AM

link it's not working tanari. let us know when it's up again. because some canon laser printers really s%&ks with linux!! their drivers are out dated!

nrayever

SoundMachine
September 10th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Well in Kubuntu, yes, in Ubunty, most certainly not.

But that is not the reams fault, that is all Gnome's fault.

donniep152
September 19th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Not especially. Open Office prints everything nicely, but OO has it's own drivers I guess because any other software using Dapper's drivers doesn't have much function with my Canon LPB430. sure I can print a page or all of the pages, but manual feed doesn't work, two sided printing doesn't work although they do with OO. Funny thing though is that my other Canon LBP430 that is a shared Windows printer prints quicker and has more features than the identical locally installed printer on Dapper. My HP Photosmart 7150 also a shared Windows printer works fine too.
I can't get Glabels to even print to my local Canon so I'd have to say that I'm not real satisfied right now. Being able to print true laser labels, not ink jet and have the manual feed option enabled is the one main reason why I have to keep a windows box still. Also the lack of scanner support is keeping me with windows.

Unless all the mfg's decide to suddently embrace Open Source, I'm afraid linux users will always be limited to what hardware works and how well it works.

Just my two cents worth.

Thanks

dantum
September 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
HP Photosmart 8450

I've been subscibing to this forums for a bit now. About 2 months ago my printer started working much better. I can finally print out onto Photo paper and gives a complete list of all types of paper just like in windows driver.

I must say that Gimp printing is still very much gimped (poor).

The printers built in multimedia card reader is stilla bit on the "lucky" side. It reads xD cards prety well but SD cards of large capacity are a no no. Just fails. I think it depends on formatting of the card and probably needs to be addressed in the future driver version.

Demio
September 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM
It's good but it could be better. It needs and ink levels checker and options for the printing quality ;)

It's getting there tho.

bruce89
September 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I'm less happy with printing under EDGY. - Cannot Add Printer (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=248251)

Jim Darrough
September 24th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Not at the present time. I have an HP Jetdirect EX Plus server with an hp2p, but I can't get the printer installed. I read a lot of postings, trying different things, but I still can't get it going. I have the ip address and set the Host Name to LASERJET in the print server, and I can print via windose boxen using hp's software. I had to route add the jetdirect's ip address under windows to use telnet to configure it.

Any ideas? :(

John.Michael.Kane
September 24th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Oldschool HP laserjet 5p prints with out issues.

Ramses de Norre
September 24th, 2006, 07:40 PM
HP DeskJet 845c: printing sucks big time.. The colors are bad, outlining isn't correct, the color ink is used to print black..

I need to boot windows in order to print decent and that's not how it should be.

rfruth
September 24th, 2006, 08:47 PM
All is well with my HP 1510 :D

v8YKxgHe
September 25th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I'm very happy with Printing under Dapper....espically after an hour of trying to print off a Windows PC.

File -> Print ...... ok it's not doing anything, let's cancel the Print Job - Canceling Print Job. 5 mins later it's still trying to cancel. Ok let's try to print it again, DOH it wont print because there is another print job infront of it, which wont delete.

Ok lets restart, the print job is still there and still canceling?! what the ...

Another reason why I'm happy with printing under Dapper/Linux is that I'm not forced to install all this CrapWare Printer Jazz - I just want the drivers, not an entire 'Image Suite with Woah, Resize images and Image Browser' - takes me like 20 mins to install my driver in XP trying to get it not to install the CrapWare. Linux, well just Plug it in - add printer, find it - done all in less than 1 min! I love it!

brucevangeorge
September 27th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Got my deskjet 712C to print in Kubuntu after doing a customized install with only the packages I needed. Did not print in the standard Ubuntu or Kubuntu at all.

Anyone know how to change the resolution the printer prints at? Mine can do 600dpi in ******* but only prints at 300dpi right now.

MoebusNet
December 19th, 2006, 01:35 PM
HP OfficeJet 4215 all-in-one: Not happy

Although the printer works somewhat, it regularly locks up the computer during printing. This is a hard lock-up where the only thing you can do is turn off the power to the computer and restart from cold. The funny thing is that the print job is still in the print que somewhere and will restart printing from the beginning before the computer is ready to log into Kubuntu.

The printer is local USB using
URI: ipp://localhost:631/printers/HPOfficeJet4215all-in-one
Device: usb://hp/officejet 4200 series? serial=CN471EH0N7
Model: HP OfficeJet 4200 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)

Gargamella
December 19th, 2006, 01:55 PM
never tried ...