PDA

View Full Version : Am I a user or a techie?

cloyd
November 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I have considered myself a user. My technical skill are not advanced. My technical skills are analogous to a mechanic who can only change the oil, add coolant, or change a tire on a car. However, I just realized how much I like using what technical skills I have. This was brought home this week when I tried to help my wife with her iPhone. I have an android, and have been enjoying using various ereaders, deciding which one to use, learning how to sideload, and learning which folders different readers could access.

My wife wanted an ereader like my Alkido. Looking around on the app store, we found Stanza. It seemed to work, but a few days later, she got notice of an upgrade. "Should I do it?" she asked. "Sure." I always get my upgrades . . . in Ubuntu and on my phone.

Suddenly, Stanza would no longer open. I've been looking at other readers for her, trying to find one that will let us sideload books. So far, no luck. As a matter of fact, with what I have seen so far . . . Apple seems determined to keep me from browsing the filesyster (even data only part of the filesystem) at all. I haven't found an app yet that will do it without jailbreaking the phone. I have not rooted my android, but so far, I haven't needed to. I still have access to much of the filesystem with terminal emulators or different file managers.

I've been told iPhones are for users, androids are for techies. Someplace I saw this: An iPhone is a fancy phone. An Android is a pocket computer.

I don't like being locked out of the machine. Does that make me a techie?

del_diablo
November 26th, 2011, 06:41 PM
As far I understood: You are aware of your own moral, and your own need of thinkering with objects.
But your not a techie nor a user, you are a "thinkerer" somebody who likes to mess around with objects even if you lack the skill to do something on a techie level.

Rubykuby
November 26th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I guess power user fits more or less.

haqking
November 26th, 2011, 06:56 PM
To you, you are whoever you label yourself as.

To others, you are whoever you come across as.

To the universe you are another insignificant nobody like the rest of us whatever the label we wear ;-)

Peace

Gremlinzzz
November 27th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Tek·kie :popcorn:
One who studies or is highly interested or proficient in a technical field, especially electronics.

a person who is skilled in the use of technological devices, such as computers.
Yes you are:popcorn: Both

whatthefunk
November 27th, 2011, 01:24 AM
How do you know you arent a program?

http://advancescreenings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/tron1.jpg

[/dorkiness]

lisati
November 27th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Labels are something that are intended for the convenience of those who might use them. Beyond that, they don't mean much.

IWantFroyo
November 27th, 2011, 01:56 AM
In my opinion, here's the "nerd scale":

Tech Illiterate- Hates or dislikes technology, and takes pride in doing things the old fashioned way.

User- Uses technology regularly, and occasionally needs the family nerd to to come take a look. Most Windows users fall into this category.

Intermediate user- Takes an interest in technology, and enjoys trying new programs once in a while. This is where people start reaping some pride and benefits from their skills.

Power user- These people aren't afraid to try new things, and regularly dabble with Linux and other systems. These guys are the fix-its of the family.

Techie- Comfortable hacking and breaking things. These people have usually built their own computer at one point or another, and regularly wipe the drive to try something new. Dabble in code or program as a hobby. Due to the number of times they've stayed up late into the night watching rolling screens of text and babbling feverishly about kernels of some sort, their relatives won't let them touch their computers with a ten foot pole.

Troll- Malicious techies, or jealous illiterates.

Professional- These fall into two types. Techies a job fitting their skills, or the "I use computers at work enough. Get that thing away from me." kind.

You need help- The cake is a lie. Heh. Heh. Heh.

Which one do you fit into?
/remember; just my view

cloyd
November 27th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Well, I guess I'm a power user. Have broken a few things. Got rid of my master boot record one day. Kept my cool, and fixed it. I don't really like breaking things, but the world doesn't end when I do. Most things get fixed.

Gremlinzzz
November 27th, 2011, 02:19 AM
How do you know you arent a program?

http://advancescreenings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/tron1.jpg

[/dorkiness]

You don't we all may be,just a program:popcorn:

forrestcupp
November 27th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Power user is a good title.

But let's face it. To the majority of the world, just the fact that you're on a Linux forum makes you an ultra geek. ;)

(unless you're a grandma whose grandson secretly installed Ubuntu on your computer, and he put a shortcut to this forum on your desktop so you could come here and desperately plea for help. :) )

cloyd
November 27th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Power user is a good title.

But let's face it. To the majority of the world, just the fact that you're on a Linux forum makes you an ultra geek. ;)

(unless you're a grandma whose grandson secretly installed Ubuntu on your computer, and he put a shortcut to this forum on your desktop so you could come here and desperately plea for help. :) )

Yeah, I guess you're right on that one, too.
Linux . . . gee . . .

benpack101
November 27th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Labels are only as important as you make them. If you find no importance in them, then they are of no importance. If on the other hand you care, then it matters. As long as you know how you are defining, "techie" and "user" then go ahead and define yourself as whatever you please (just be able to backup/define why you call yourself what you say you are)

cloyd
November 27th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Labels are only as important as you make them. If you find no importance in them, then they are of no importance. If on the other hand you care, then it matters. As long as you know how you are defining, "techie" and "user" then go ahead and define yourself as whatever you please (just be able to backup/define why you call yourself what you say you are)

I seem to remember someone called Kyorscyki (that is not spelled right . . . I probably can't say it right) and General Semantics. He warned about the danger of labeling. Yes, labels can be limiting. Yet, they are also part of language to help us talk to each other and know what the other is talking about. I am much more than a power user or techie or geek or simply a user. Whats more, what I am today, I may not be tomorrow. But if I want to explain to someone else my degree of knowledge and the degree to which I am willing to tinker, experiment and tweak and risk breaking, having the right label helps.

I remember a psychotherapist named Albert Ellis who recommended (in the interest of avoiding labels) that we speak and write without ever using any form or the verb "to be." It is an interesting experiment. I tried writing a few papers with this idea, and it resulted in very active rather than passive language . . . which can be a good thing. Instructors liked it, but I don't know that they ever noticed that "to be" never appeared.

However, such an approach can limit expression. Certain philosophical concepts can not be expressed. Those who support this idea say no big deal . . . the concepts that can't be expressed without "to be" are false and that is why they can't be expressed. It sounds like a tautology to me.

Kind of a fun discussion . . . if I didn't get so deep that no one wants to talk to me again.

Copper Bezel
November 27th, 2011, 04:28 PM
They're both mentioned in the Wikipedia article on E-Prime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime) (the idea of using English without "to be" you mentioned.) Thus, rather than "I am a power user," you'd say something like "I fall into the category of power users" or somesuch.

Identity can be implied without use of being verbs, though. It seems like a fun exercise, but ultimately it just seems to be a way of reminding the writer to qualify statements, much like avoiding the passive voice. (The passive voice allows for actions without actors; the verb of being allows for observations without observers.) If you instead take the qualification itself to be the goal, though, there's a potential for infinite recursion, since every statement could be further qualified.

I don't understand how any meaningful philosophical or other concept would be literally impossible to state under such circumstances, and the verb of being certainly is acts as a shorthand. = ) Avoiding it seems less like an overall statement about reality and more like an attempt to make common errors of logic inconvenient.

Oh, on topic: I prefer "enthusiast." = )

F.G.
November 27th, 2011, 04:51 PM
interesting thread. i have no idea what i am, though i sometimes use the word "enthusiast" though i have been called a techie and a geek.

i wonder if wittgenstein's private language argument is relevant here (basically that you can't define a term entirely and exclusively yourself, as, if it isn't common to other people you have no way of knowing if you are using it correctly). it's not directly relevant because the terms in question are widely used, but i feel that there is a certain sense to the idea that labeling oneself is fairly pointless and the principal value of label is for you to label other people, and for them to label you.

i've had loads of labels (eg nicknames, job titles, qualifications etc.), i guess most have been accurate(ish).

Bandit
November 27th, 2011, 09:36 PM
:rolleyes:

/thread

cloyd
November 28th, 2011, 01:26 AM
They're both mentioned in the Wikipedia article on E-Prime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime) (the idea of using English without "to be" you mentioned.) Thus, rather than "I am a power user," you'd say something like "I fall into the category of power users" or somesuch.

Identity can be implied without use of being verbs, though. It seems like a fun exercise, but ultimately it just seems to be a way of reminding the writer to qualify statements, much like avoiding the passive voice. (The passive voice allows for actions without actors; the verb of being allows for observations without observers.) If you instead take the qualification itself to be the goal, though, there's a potential for infinite recursion, since every statement could be further qualified.

I don't understand how any meaningful philosophical or other concept would be literally impossible to state under such circumstances, and the verb of being certainly is acts as a shorthand. = ) Avoiding it seems less like an overall statement about reality and more like an attempt to make common errors of logic inconvenient.

Oh, on topic: I prefer "enthusiast." = )

Yes, it was E-Prime. And I see . . . yes I did express the concept of being. (being itself, ground of being and such were concepts I was thinking of). Exist. Existence. There are other words that will do. Errors of logic. It is not the essence of who I am that I am an enthusiast. However, sometimes I do exhibit the quality of enthusiasm about Ubuntu and Linux.

And again, on topic, I like enthusiast too.

tersogar
November 28th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I like enthusiast too, even thou my wife said that I am a computer wizard, the kids call me it guy and friends said that I´m a geek.

BrokenKingpin
November 29th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I don't like being locked out of the machine. Does that make me a techie?
I don't really think so, especially with how much technology is being used by everyone these days. You may be leaning more towards a power user though.

That being said I suppose it depends on the definition of "Techie". As stated above, as time goes on I think the definition changes, as most people growing up now technology is a huge part of their life, where that wasn't the case 15 years ago (not to this extent anyways). I guess there may be different levels of "techies" though.

I would consider myself a techie, as I work in the IT field professionally (programmer), and most of my hobbies are related to computers and technology (building computers, software development, etc.).