PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No panel and no launcher in Unity?

deskman
November 26th, 2011, 05:39 PM
when i log in i can see only desktop wallpaper and i'm able to right click the desktop and bring the right click menu. i tried to click on "change background", the window that opened had no close or minimize buttons. something to do with compiz? when i log in to the gnome shell there is no such problem. the problem appeared just recently. any one any ideas?

nvidia proprietary driver enabled

BC59
November 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Open a terminal CTRL+ALT+T and write

unity --reset

and if is not working write

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1
unity --reset

stinkeye
November 26th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Open a terminal CTRL+ALT+T and write

unity --reset

and if is not working write

unity --reset
Just a note.
When you run

Compiz is set back to default and in this state the unity plugin is not enabled.

Then running

unity --reset
just reloads compiz without enabling the unity plugin.

So you will still need to enable the unity plugin in ccsm.

or
this command will set back to defaults,enable the unity plugin and then reload compiz.

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1 && gconftool-2 --type=list --list-type=string --set /apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins [core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,compiztoolb ox,decor,grid,move,resize,mousepoll,regex,snap,gno mecompat,place,imgpng,vpswitch,animation,wall,work arounds,fade,session,expo,ezoom,unityshell] && compiz --replace & disown

Sometimes after running you may still have no window borders and you need to run
this command again

compiz --replace & disown

BC59
November 26th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Just a note.
When you run

Compiz is set back to default and in this state the unity plugin is not enabled.

Then running

unity --reset
just reloads compiz without enabling the unity plugin.

So you will still need to enable the unity plugin in ccsm.

or
this command will set back to defaults,enable the unity plugin and then reload compiz.

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1 && gconftool-2 --type=list --list-type=string --set /apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins [core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,compiztoolb ox,decor,grid,move,resize,mousepoll,regex,snap,gno mecompat,place,imgpng,vpswitch,animation,wall,work arounds,fade,session,expo,ezoom,unityshell] && compiz --replace & disown

Sometimes after running you may still have no window borders and you need to run
this command again

compiz --replace & disown

Very good point.