PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] after upgrade to 11.10 home is not linked to /home anymore

zaatlob
November 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I did a upgrade from 10.04 to 11.10. First time i did it manual, but had some flows. I did the partion manual, because i have a seperate home partition.
Because of the problems with the instalation i decided to install 11.10 again. I did this with the options install over 11.10.
This time it created a new home partition. Is it possible to redirect the home to the old home partition?

BC59
November 26th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Well one solution would be using Ubuntu Tweak.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/next
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak-0

(with the command -0 you will install the previous version, because the last is not yet full working)

From ubuntu-tweak now you can scroll down and find the button to change default folders.

zaatlob
November 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but when i look at i still loose all my settings.
I want to tell ubuntu that home is the home partition and not the part that's left over on the root.
Is it possible to merge the free part of the root with my old home.
Or is it far more simple to reinstall 11.10.

ajgreeny
November 26th, 2011, 02:04 PM
It might be simpler to reinstall, but you can try editing your /etc/fstab file first by adding lines in the format

# /home was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=e2554df2-7e16-4864-97c9-834d8bebecda /home ext4 defaults 0 2 for which you will need to know your /home partition UUID from the command
sudo blkid -c /dev/null After the edit you can try running command
sudo mount -a and you may find all your old /home is now in place.

It is possible that ubuntu-tweak can do this for you automatically, but I have never seen it, so am uncertain about that.