PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Software Center error after each login

kurtkurtosis
November 26th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I am totally new to Linux and when I log into Ubuntu 11.10 I am greeted by the message that the Software Center has some problems.

I am using a SuperMicro X9SCM server board with a GeForce 9400 GT graphics card whose driver I cannot get initialized as well. That was actually another post I intended but I am not sure whether that is related.

In any case, I believe the error relates to either updating the software or to installing the graphics driver.

- Specifically I am asked to repair the software catalog but that fails.
- Items cannot be installed or removed until the package catalog repaired. Do you want to repair it now?

THIS create an infinite loop as the repair apparently errors out.

ALSO: Package operation failed. The operation of removal of a software package, InstallArchives() failed: (Reading database... 5%)

I am clueless as Linux seems like a different world to me.

Any help would be appreciate such as looking at error logs, although I am not sure where to begin looking.

THX

hansdown
November 26th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Welcome to the forum, kurtkurtosis.

Not sure, if I can help, but have you installed any "paid apps"?

kurtkurtosis
November 26th, 2011, 06:55 AM
No I haven't.

In any case, I haven't done only a few things such as installing dropbox, some restricted video codecs, and probably a few other things.

In any case. Where I am is that I can not install any software as this cause an error with the software.

So I just reinstalled 11.10 for the 2nd time as this only takes about 10 minutes or so.

However, I will have to see whether Linux is really for me given the problems...at least I can say, I gave it a try.

hansdown
November 26th, 2011, 07:16 AM
No I haven't.

In any case, I haven't done only a few things such as installing dropbox, some restricted video codecs, and probably a few other things.

In any case. Where I am is that I can not install any software as this cause an error with the software.

So I just reinstalled 11.10 for the 2nd time as this only takes about 10 minutes or so.

However, I will have to see whether Linux is really for me given the problems...at least I can say, I gave it a try.

Thanks for posting back, kurtkurtosis.

Also, thankyou for your polite comments.

I'm still trying , to learn the software center, so I was hoping someone would jump in.

raja.genupula
November 26th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Hi man , I hope you're doing .
provide me output of
sudo apt-get update

and try install something from terminal with this command
sudo apt-get install <app_name>

report here , what you got .

Thank you.

mörgæs
November 26th, 2011, 07:23 AM
If you are new, I would recommend Xubuntu rather than Ubuntu.

For restoring Software Centre, you could try to boot the computer and run

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Please post the error messages, if any.

kurtkurtosis
November 26th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I decided to reinstall 11.10 and both the software center & NVIDIA driver are now finally installing.

I found some good links on using rsnapshot so I can hopefully always restore to a previous working condition of the operating system.

THX.

mörgæs
November 26th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.

kurtkurtosis
November 27th, 2011, 05:15 AM
-> please mark the thread 'solved'.

Unclear to me on how to do that even after searching for HELP. THX

mörgæs
November 27th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Look in Thread Tools.