PDA

View Full Version : Number of elements in an array (C)

jacksonyoyo
November 26th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Hi everyone.
I have defined and INT array in C, and its malloc()-ed.

int* array= malloc(200* sizeof(int));Even though memory is allocated to the array, however, the array may not have 200 elements, the number of elements changes in each round of a loop.

this array needs to then be passed to a qsort() function which requires the number of elements in the array in order to work.

void qsort( void *buf, size_t num, size_t size, int (*compare)(const void *, const void *) );So my question is, how can I get the number of elements in the array?
I have searched online, and the closest thing that I have got so far is :

sizeof(array)/sizeof(int)this just gives me the size of array, which is not what i want.

Please help,
thanks for everything in advance.

PS: thank you for the people who helped me with my last post :)

Vaphell
November 26th, 2011, 12:42 AM
how do you fill the array in each round? can't you store the index of the last modified element?

11jmb
November 26th, 2011, 12:47 AM
There is no built-in array like in java, but in practical use, you can always pass through the number of elements you allocated anyway

Arndt
November 26th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Hi everyone.
I have defined and INT array in C, and its malloc()-ed.

int* array= malloc(200* sizeof(int));

Even though memory is allocated to the array, however, the array may not have 200 elements, the number of elements changes in each round of a loop.

this array needs to then be passed to a qsort() function which requires the number of elements in the array in order to work.

void qsort( void *buf, size_t num, size_t size, int (*compare)(const void *, const void *) );

So my question is, how can I get the number of elements in the array?
I have searched online, and the closest thing that I have got so far is :

sizeof(array)/sizeof(int)
this just gives me the size of array, which is not what i want.

Please help,
thanks for everything in advance.

PS: thank you for the people who helped me with my last post :)

You will have to keep track of it yourself.

jacksonyoyo
November 26th, 2011, 09:50 AM
how do you fill the array in each round? can't you store the index of the last modified element?

O YEA! OF COURSE!
sorry, my bad!
this thread only appear because of me being stupid... :KS

thanks everyone above!:D