PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] help me install x/l/ubuntu please!

sideshowme
November 25th, 2011, 11:58 PM
i am trying to install any ubuntu variant so that i can install and use a particular research tool. here is what i've been doing:

- i boot the iso file using unetbootin from windows xp pro.
- i click the install shortcut on the desktop.
- i click through all the menus.
- on the final page, where i enter my name to set up the accounts, the bottom of the page says "Detecting file systems", but it stays stuck there forever. i left it running for around 5 hours the other day with exactly the same result.

the terminal window seems to be reporting an error in the network manager ending in "(IP6 Configure Timeout) complete)". This seems to suggest to me there is a problem with the internet connection, but the internet is working fine. i have tried wired and wireless connections, and have so far been through xubuntu 11.10 and 11.04, as well as lubuntu 11.10, all with precisely the same result.

if i didn't need this for my work i would have given up long ago, but no variety of ubuntu seems to want to play. help me please!

fdrake
November 26th, 2011, 12:01 AM
i strongly suggest you to use a long term support release : Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS Lucid if you are looking for something more stable and with a lot of support

darkod
November 26th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Have you tried burning a cd with the iso (at low speed, not more than 8x or 10x) and boot the computer with it? Use the Try Ubuntu option first just to see if it will run from the cd. That makes no changes to your hdd.

sideshowme
November 26th, 2011, 12:06 AM
i don't have any blank CDs to hand otherwise i would give it a go. i've never experienced this problem using unetbootin before. it is just puzzling. i have an internet connection, ubuntu acknowledges i have one during the installation process, but then network manager throws up an error and the install process is stuck.

maybe i'll try 10.04, but i get very frustrated with having to update the system thrice over to get to the most up to date version. any help to get this working would be really appreciated!

darkod
November 26th, 2011, 12:09 AM
That suggestion was to keep using 10.04 as LTS release with more support. Not to upgrade it all the way to 11.04 or 11.10.

sideshowme
November 26th, 2011, 12:10 AM
i would have thought 11.10 as the current version would have current support anyway?

snowpine
November 26th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Here are easy instructions for making an Ubuntu Live USB without using Unetbootin:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Also don't forget to check the md5sum for errors.

sideshowme
November 26th, 2011, 01:58 AM
for the record, 10.04 has exactly the same problem. i thought for a brief moment that it might be something to do with swap space, but of course nothing in the world of linux can be so straightforward.

can anyone help me with the error messages please? i don't think the problem lies with unetbootin or the disk images, they've all been used successfully on other machines. for some reason ubuntu is finding a problem with the network when there is no problem with the network.

mörgæs
November 26th, 2011, 08:42 AM
You have still not mentioned what you are trying to achieve. Do you want only Buntu or a double boot?

Which hardware are you using?

Have you tried the alternate ISO?