PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 11.10

bgswanson
November 25th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Ok I just downloaded this os and got it to start up. The login page shows the username I normally use but the password I use did not work and I don't see a way to change it. So far I am using the guest account.

I used a usb to download 11.10 but I don't think it downloaded where I wanted it to. I'm using a HP 733n Pavilion with two internal hard drives installed. On the Master drive (C) I have windows xp. Ubuntu is also installed there I assume since when I boot to windows there is an option to boot to ubuntu which is how I got to where I am currently.

My goal is to install the ubuntu to the other HDD (F) and set it up so that whenever I want to switch back and forth from windows I just switch between booting in either drive respectively. For right now I just need to figure out the password situation so that I can make changes in the administrator account. I suspect that there is a default password that would work but before I keep slamming the two possibilities I came here for help.

tersogar
November 26th, 2011, 12:03 AM
This work flawlessly for a friend in need. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

bgswanson
November 26th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Cool so far. Thank you for the speedy reply. The only thing is the recovery menu never showed up. The prompt screen showed up where I was able to reset the password successfully. I pressed exit but am not sure how to get to normal boot since I am not at the recovery menu. Is there is a prompt for normal boot from the command prompt screen?

bgswanson
November 26th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I went ahead and shut it down, restarted it and put the password in which worked. Thanks for the help.

tersogar
November 26th, 2011, 12:53 AM
You are welcome. Pleased mark the thread as solve.