PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome 3 reverts to fallback interface

larikaram
November 25th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Hi guys!
I've read a lot of the posts on this forum and others on how to install gnome 3 but it seems I keep having the same problem and something is not working right with me! Need a little help here!

Here is my situation: I'm on Ubuntu 11.10 (with Unity), and everything is working sweet on my workstation with no problem what so ever. I decided to install Gnome 3 and the process seemed to have worked great for the first time and running perfectly!

When I log out, and log in again, I loose the gnome 3 interface and I'm left with the fallback interface (old gnome style).

I thought it was because I uninstalled Unity ... reinstalled Unity and Gnome 3 > works the first log in then if i log out switches back to old gnome.

I reinstalled a fresh copy of ubuntu, kept Unity and Installed Gnome 3 same issue!

I also noticed that I don't have a ~/.themes after I install Gnome...

One last note, I have a Nvidia Quadro FX 4000, but not sure it has to do with my situation. The default drivers works great with it!

Any help would be appreciated! :confused:

thx
lari

Frogs Hair
November 25th, 2011, 05:08 PM
You will need to create a .themes and .icons folder in home / hidden folders in 11.10 . Theme installation works differently in 11.10 and the drag & drop option in appearance preferences has been removed . The Gnome Tweak Tool / Advanced Settings is required to change themes .

I don't know why the shell reverts to fall-back upon logout or shut down . When using a manual login , the last session used is what is what appears on the session menu when booting or logging in if everything is working properly .

QDR06VV9
November 25th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I had the same problem!
Sounds like and I am not a real authority but a hardware or or driver problem!
Ive checked this out and like this system, It will be a unofficial fork of gnome3 remix
over ubuntu with no unity at all! Worth a look to see if you want some more adventure!

Link for Info: http://www.howtogeek.com/96172/bypass-the-unity-ui-altogether-in-ubuntu-11.10-with-the-gnome-shell-remix/

Download link: http://ubuntu-gs-remix.sourceforge.net/p/download/
With 32 bit and 64 bit choices

Sorry try frogs Hair suggestion first!

cbowman57
November 25th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Sometimes deleting ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/application_state clears that up.

larikaram
November 25th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Thx guys for the help!
I'll try your suggestions this afternoon!

I have created a .themes but not the .icons ... I thought though that it was looking for those in /usr/share/gnome-shell ... but i'll try it and keep you posted on what happens!

thx

Frogs Hair
November 25th, 2011, 08:00 PM
If you want to make themes and icons available for all users and appear when root is used place them in file system > usr > share icons or themes .

larikaram
November 29th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Hey guys again!
sorry I couldn't reply earlier! thx for all the help.. but none worked for me!

don't know if you have any other suggestions ...
I edited the gnome-fallback.session file in /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions
and replaced the gnome-fallback with gnome-shell and now everytime I log in I get the gnome-shell interface working fine! LOL....

I'm still gonna look closely to it and see what's going on with my gnome.... i'll post an update soon...

thx

cbowman57
November 29th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Gnome does apply some type of logic when it selects fallback instead of the shell.

I remember in the early days I actually ran across a hack that disabled detection if you knew the vidcard was capable. Essentially you did the same thing, only easier. :)