PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Burning ISO - how long does it take?

Janeleaper
November 25th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I'm trying to burn a cd for 11.10. I've never done this before.

I started the process about 2 hours ago. The Burning Dd message is still reading "preparing to write".

The speed is 4x.

Am I right in thinking it isn't working? Or, does it just take a very long time?

westie457
November 25th, 2011, 12:48 AM
You are right. It is not working, maybe the dvd disc is faulty and the drive cannot find the first sector.

Try again using a different dvd or cd.

sammiev
November 25th, 2011, 12:49 AM
A burn should take less than 5 min. Try a new cd or dvd.

Frogs Hair
November 25th, 2011, 12:54 AM
I would think something is very wrong if it has been two hours . Are you creating the disc with Windows or Ubuntu ?

Because of doing a clean Ubuntu installation every 6 months my discs are created on Windows 7 . I have never had a problem even at higher speeds .

Janeleaper
November 25th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I working with Ubuntu. I've tried another couple of discs but I don't think the drive can be working properly.

Rex Bouwense
November 25th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Two hours is definitely too long. What program are you using to burn the ISO? I ask because some people including myself have had problems with Braserio. You might consider another burning program. Everyone has their favorites and no doubt you will get a list here shortly. Try Xfburn.

skit85
November 25th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Two hours is definitely too long. What program are you using to burn the ISO? I ask because some people including myself have had problems with Braserio. You might consider another burning program. Everyone has their favorites and no doubt you will get a list here shortly. Try Xfburn.

I do all my ISO burns with Braserio and dont come across any problems, i do all mine at high speed so occasionally it takes me 2 discs to get it working but im sure at low speeds that wouldnt be an issue.. what problems have you had with Braserio?

mörgæs
November 25th, 2011, 02:51 AM
If you have a fairly new computer you can also boot from USB.

Janeleaper
November 25th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Problem solved. I tried again using another cd. Had to try a couple but eventually got it to work. When it did work, it took 17 minutes.

For some reason, it seems my computer does not recognise that there is a cd in the drive, unless the cd was there when the computer was booted up. So, I have to put the cd in, and restart the computer before burning the disc.

I'm using a Dell inspiron 530 with Ubuntu 10.04

Thanks for your help. Without the forum, I'd probably have waited 4 hours before giving up!

mörgæs
November 25th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.