PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Lubuntu 11.10 on eeepc 4g

Richardah
November 24th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Hi

I have downloaded an iso of Lubuntu Ocelet alternate (as the "hard disk" is only 4Gb) and put it onto a usb stick.

My eeepc 4g sees the stick on bootup, and I select the instal option.

The keyboard detection goes OK, and stuff starts to unpack.

When I get to the choice of network connection, I choose "wired"

My router log shows the eeepc connecting.

But nothing else happens. Most of the screen is blue, with a thin white band at the bottom.

If I type characters they appear in the white band; if I use the scroll keys I get control characters. I can delete backwards to clear the line.

If I hit enter, the insertion point moves down a line, so that the blue screen gradually moves up on successive hits.

Any idea what I can do?

Should I be using a different distro? - it needs to be as compact as possible.

I am a novice and would be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks

Richard

WasMeHere
November 24th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Hi Richardah,

I suggest that you download the standard Lubuntu install iso file, because then you can run the operating system live and test it before you install it.

This way you can select different versions (release year and month). You might also try another flavour, for example Xubuntu. So please consider Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and the 11.04, 11.10 versions of Lubuntu and Xubuntu and select the one that co-operates the best with your hardware!

Have fun finding out :-)
Olle

Edit: I just saw that you have only 4GB, so I think that Lubuntu would be the best alternative, or to make a persistent USB drive of (4GB) and then clone it to the internal drive. It should work.

WasMeHere
November 24th, 2011, 08:32 PM
There are also people who run systems from flash memory cards (I think there is a slot for a flash card in the EeePC). But you can definitely consider one of the really small linux systems. Browse the internet, and you will find plenty of them!

Richardah
November 25th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks for your reply - I'll look at the options for small systems, otherwise I will try the flash memory card.

The eeepc came with Xandros, which was reasonably fast and compact, but hopeless at Wifi - not very helpful in a device intended for portability.

The full version of Narwhal worked pretty well but achingly slowly, as it occupied the whole C drive.

Richard

Rex Bouwense
November 25th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Amjjamad has a How to Install Lubuntu on a 4 Gb flash.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1872303

If it works on a 4 Gb flash drive it will work on your 4 GB SD drive. Enjoy.:popcorn:

WasMeHere
November 25th, 2011, 08:05 AM

If it works on a 4 Gb flash drive it will work on your 4 GB SD drive. Enjoy.:popcorn:

Interesting link :KS

Richardah
November 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM

Thanks for this, Rex - I'll give it a whirl.

Richard

Rex Bouwense
November 25th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Great. Hope it works out for you. Let us know.

WasMeHere
November 26th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for your reply - I'll look at the options for small systems, otherwise I will try the flash memory card.
Richard

If you go for a flash memory card, get one that is fast and big enough!

amjjawad
November 30th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Hello there :)

For more information about Lubuntu, please check my signature and make sure to bookmark it because I update it daily:
Lubuntu One Stop Thread - the link in my signature.

@Rex
Thank you my friend, you beat me to it :)

amjjawad
November 30th, 2011, 01:42 AM
There are also people who run systems from flash memory cards (I think there is a slot for a flash card in the EeePC). But you can definitely consider one of the really small linux systems. Browse the internet, and you will find plenty of them!

SliTaz could be the smallest after Tiny Core but it lacks many drivers specially for Wireless Adapters. Not sure about the cooking version though.

I have installed Fedora 16 LXDE on 4GB USB Drive (Imation) but as usual, didn't have time to play with it. Was just trying to see whether they have changed their installer or not and wanted to test GRUB2 (Fedora started to use GRUB2 from Fedora 16).

Lubuntu does work on 4GB USB Drive perfectly but of course it will be slower than an HDD installation.

Richardah
December 6th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Hi

I tried the desktop Lubuntu on my pen drive with the eeepc, but gave up. I am currently playing with kubuntu on a stick, which seems to accommodate well to the size of screen, but I find the interface very unintuitive. I am currently trying to look at kmail, but can't find any way of putting in my account details. Looking online, there should be a settings menu, but I can't see anything other than the normal mail settings (new, reply, etc) which are no good without an account.

Think I might go back to ubuntu narwhal

Cheers

Richard

Richardah
December 6th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Ah! Found I could modify the menu bar to put in a "New account" icon.

Still struggling.....

Richard

amjjawad
December 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Hi

I tried the desktop Lubuntu on my pen drive with the eeepc, but gave up.

Giving up is not in my dictionary nor I wish to see it around here. I'm ready for anything at anytime to support and help but let's first agree that "giving up" is out of the deal :)

Think I might go back to ubuntu narwhal
From Lubuntu to Ubuntu 11.04? I don't think it's a good idea but that's me. However, it's your call. If you have to go back to Ubuntu, I'd suggest Ubuntu 10.04.

Richardah
December 17th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Kubuntu seems to be marginally less slow than ubuntu, but I still get messages about lack of space. I can't help feeling that for emails, browsing and perhaps the odd letter it should be possible to work within the 4Gb, and keep the slot open for looking at pictures on camera cards.

Richard

WasMeHere
December 17th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Hi Richardah,

I suggest that you download the standard Lubuntu install iso file, because then you can run the operating system live and test it before you install it.

This way you can select different versions (release year and month). You might also try another flavour, for example Xubuntu. So please consider Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and the 11.04, 11.10 versions of Lubuntu and Xubuntu and select the one that co-operates the best with your hardware!

Have fun finding out :-)
Olle

Edit: I just saw that you have only 4GB, so I think that Lubuntu would be the best alternative, or to make a persistent USB drive of (4GB) and then clone it to the internal drive. It should work.
I would like to remind you of this option (Lubuntu): It certainly works from a live USB flash drive, and it should work faster from an internal flash drive. Make a regular flash boot drive and test it first (that you have the basic functions, graphics and audio). Then add persistence and test that it works. Finally clone it to your internal drive when you know that it works. Keep external (compressed?) copies of the casper-rw file for backup.

The advantage with the live configuration is that the main part of the system is stored in a compressed file, so it does not occupy as much space as an installed system. Right now I am configuring a portable system with Lubuntu using a casper-rw file for persistence. I have a 16 GB USB drive, and use 5 GB for a boot,lba partition with FAT32 and a 4 GB casper-rw file. With 4 GB you will have room for a 3 GB casper-rw file, so that you can update your system, add some favourite application program and store some data files. But of course you should store most of your data files on an external USB disk or flash card.

amjjawad
December 17th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Kubuntu seems to be marginally less slow than ubuntu, but I still get messages about lack of space.

You have ONLY 4GB HDD and no matter what you do or system you'll use, you will run out of space soon. To overcome this, either to install Lubuntu on an USB Drive/External HDD and keep the internal for storing Date OR install Lubuntu on the internal HDD and use an USB Drive/External HDD for storing Data. If these two approaches are not helpful or you don't like/prefer them then ... there is no other way IMHO except buying and replacing your internal HDD.

Richardah
December 18th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks Olle and Amjjawad for your comments.

I gave up on Lubuntu because the startup from a USB stick kept hanging up. Kubuntu does work from a stick and does install, though I have this storage problem. I know it's a rubbish amount, but it was the original eepc, and that's what it came with (and the chip is soldered to the board).

There was enough storage with the original Xandros to run what I wanted, but the wireless networking was rubbish.

As I want it as a portable device to use on visits away, that meant I needed something different.

I can't believe that there isn't some system that would allow me to network reliably (like kubuntu) and occupy less than 4 gb. I am happy to store any files I need to access on a stick, but really, all I want to do is access the web, read emails and perhaps even Skype.

I think this thread may have run its course, and what I should do is post a new thread asking for the most minimal ubuntu available.

I would like to thank everyone again for all their helpful comments.

Richard

amjjawad
December 18th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks Olle and Amjjawad for your comments.

I gave up on Lubuntu because the startup from a USB stick kept hanging up. Kubuntu does work from a stick and does install, though I have this storage problem. I know it's a rubbish amount, but it was the original eepc, and that's what it came with (and the chip is soldered to the board).

There was enough storage with the original Xandros to run what I wanted, but the wireless networking was rubbish.

As I want it as a portable device to use on visits away, that meant I needed something different.

I can't believe that there isn't some system that would allow me to network reliably (like kubuntu) and occupy less than 4 gb. I am happy to store any files I need to access on a stick, but really, all I want to do is access the web, read emails and perhaps even Skype.

I think this thread may have run its course, and what I should do is post a new thread asking for the most minimal ubuntu available.

I would like to thank everyone again for all their helpful comments.

Richard

Don't give up yet on Lubuntu. I'm very much willing to help you but of course if you want that. Let me know :)

WasMeHere
December 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM
+1

Look at the following thread (particularly post #5). Sudodus has Lubuntu running from a 16 GB USB flash drive. The same method should work with only 4 GB, but without the data partition and swap partition and with a 3GB (instead of 4 GB) casper-rw file for persistence.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1885392 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1885392)

After all, Lubuntu is one of the really small linux systems ;-)

Good luck
Olle