PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] libusb package uninstallation messed up my desktop GUI

kart_ram
November 24th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to Ubuntu. I got this Ubuntu system(from someone) 9.04 with 2.6.28-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux kernel. I was trying to install a program that has a dependency on libusb-1.0-0. However my Ubuntu 9.04 already had libusb-0.1-4 . I tried upgrading /updating the packages using sudo apt-get upgrade but I got message saying 0 packages installed , 0 removed. I also tried adding new software sources / update repositories. But that did not help either.

I was aware that libusb-1.0-0 cannot be directly installed. But for some reason I decided to uninstall libusb-0.1-4 (i think it was used by 100 other packages or so.) in the hope that it would allow me to install a newer version. And I couldnt find the libusb-1.0-0 pacakge after uninstallation. Instead of re-installing the old libusb i decided to reboot and check again. But when i did that I am not able to see my desktop now. It does allow me to login in command prompt and see the folders but am not able to get to desktop GUI. I am also thinking it messed up my network connection/configuration because I tried to ping google.com it said unknown host. Is there a way fix all the packages and check if network connection is fine?

I know its easy to install a latest version of ubuntu to help me solve my problems BUT there is lot of data and applications on the system which i cannot lose or transfer. SO PLEASE HELP me fix this issue !

Thanks in advance

-Ram

jerrrys
November 26th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I have never done this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades/Jaunty