PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Kubuntu with KDE and GNOME Desktop Environments

skit85
November 24th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Hey Guys

I am running Kubuntu 11.10 but also like alot of things with Ubuntu's GNOME desktop environment..

I was thinking of installing the GNOME desktop ontop of kubuntu and having the choice of both desktops to get the best of both worlds has anybody done this and if so has it worked well, have you come across any major problems i should be aware of before attempting it??

Crempel
November 24th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Hey Guys

I am running Kubuntu 11.10 but also like alot of things with Ubuntu's GNOME desktop environment..

I was thinking of installing the GNOME desktop on top of kubuntu and having the choice of both desktops to get the best of both worlds has anybody done this and if so has it worked well, have you come across any major problems i should be aware of before attempting it??

I have done the opposite thing, installing KDE on Ubuntu, but the same applies: Additionally to the gtk base for Gnome you also will have the qt stuff for KDE (maybe 150 MB). Of course, you will be able to run KDE-Apps (which are often superior to their Gnome counterparts) whilst still being in Gnome (or vice versa); you just select the desktop environment of choice when logging in.

BUT: You will have all sorts of gtk and qt programs installed that appear on both desktops, the whole system will become real bloated. The best bet would be to install Ubuntu (Gnome) on a separately, maybe on a virtual drive. :)

snowpine
November 24th, 2011, 09:19 PM
The only downside is that you will have double applications for many tasks: two file manager, two text editors, etc.

skit85
November 25th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Is there a simple way to clean up some things that arent necessary from either DE to prevent as much bloating as possible??

Either way if its not excessive i guess thats a small price to pay...

snowpine
November 25th, 2011, 05:26 AM
By definition a "desktop environment" (Gnome, KDE, etc) includes a windows manager, file manager, text editor, etc. Therefore it is not "bloat" that both Gnome and KDE provide these essential components. Asking otherwise is like saying "I want two cars in my garage, but only one steering wheel."

skit85
November 25th, 2011, 05:38 AM
By definition a "desktop environment" (Gnome, KDE, etc) includes a windows manager, file manager, text editor, etc. Therefore it is not "bloat" that both Gnome and KDE provide these essential components. Asking otherwise is like saying "I want two cars in my garage, but only one steering wheel."

Yes i realise as much!!!!! I was purely asking if it was a major problem that people have had and if so, if there was a way to remove any unnecessary applications that may come with either desktop environment...

snowpine
November 25th, 2011, 05:45 AM
You can add/remove any applications/packages you like using the Ubuntu Software Center, keeping in mind that KDE and Gnome each "depend" on a number of packages that you might not want to remove unless you know exactly what you're doing. The creators of these desktop environments do not consider their various components "bloated" or "unnecessary." Your mileage may vary.