PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] text file?

vrpatilisl
November 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM
h i again
I saved file from new file in ubantu. With window compitible option. When i opend that file in window, it doesnt have any extension. I want to save .txt file in ubantu that compitible with window .Also same for doc and docx file.
Thanxs

waspbr
November 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM
first of all, it's ubuntu not ubantu.

Secondly, all you have to do is rename the file in ubuntu with a .txt at the end. In the future make sure that the text file you are saving has a .txt at the end, as linux tends to be more flexible with file extensions than windows.

vrpatilisl
November 24th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Thanxs.
I thnk same will applied for doc and.docx.

sudodus
November 24th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thanxs.
I thnk same will applied for doc and.docx.
Yes, soon you get used to seeing and using the file extensions for several file types.

Generally, you have a chance to understand more about what happens behind the GUI when you are using linux compared to Windows or OSX.

cavh
November 24th, 2011, 04:57 PM
For .doc and .docx support, you'll need to use either LibreOffice or AbiWord as your text editors on Ubuntu. LibreOffice is a full office suite with word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and other applications. See http://www.libreoffice.org/ and http://www.abisource.com/. AbiWord is really fast, LibreOffice is slower but has more features.

You can install both LibreOffice and AbiWord through the Ubuntu repositories via the Software Centre.

Mark Phelps
November 24th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Be advised that there are discrepancies between how OOO/Libre Office handle docx files and how MS Word handles docx files.

Given the choice, you should save files using the doc extension. That is handled better by the different apps.

donkyhotay
November 26th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Be advised that there are discrepancies between how OOO/Libre Office handle docx files and how MS Word handles docx files.

Given the choice, you should save files using the doc extension. That is handled better by the different apps.

+1 about using .doc rather then .docx
also, as you've probably noticed ubuntu is less stringent about file extensions compared to windows. It's always important to make certain that the extension matches the exact file type you're using. I've (rarely) run into people saving a .doc file as .txt because "it's text" or vice-versa due to habits.