PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] back to gnome

Diametric
November 24th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Hello all,

I've given it the "ol college try" but, I'm not willing to continue with Unity. How do I get rid of unity and go back to gnome...and not loose anything?

Thank to all,
Me

click4851
November 24th, 2011, 07:10 AM
do you use a seperate home partition? That would make things much easier.

Diametric
November 24th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Ah - wish I did. However, I don't have much on the home drive - the install is only 6 weeks old and other then a few apps (which I do not mind re-installing) I can bounce the whole system if need be...I was just hoping I could get rid of Unity and go back to Gnome, non-destructively.

click4851
November 24th, 2011, 07:16 AM
there is a "absolute beginner" sticky about a fallback to classic gnome for 11.10, but its my understanding that in the next release it will be gone.....which means you are only buying 6 months, and then your scrambling again.

DapperMe17
November 24th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Here you have it my friend....http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/classicgnome

\\:D/

Diametric
November 24th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Thank you both; much appreciated. There shouldn't be any issue with my recent metasploit/nexpose install with the gnome-fallback action...no?

Thanks for your replies...

DapperMe17
November 24th, 2011, 07:37 AM
There shouldn't be.

Gnome fallback isn't exactly Gnome 2, but it's close.

Gnome 2 is dead, but being revived as "Mate"...you can Google that for more information.

If Gnome fallback isn't your cup of tea...then you may really be suprised by XFCE.

Here's a link for that....http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce

Pretty easy!

tersogar
November 24th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Have you try gnome shell?

Diametric
November 24th, 2011, 07:45 AM
No. But I'm about to run the gnome-fallback suggestion. Any difference between that and the gnome shell you mention?

Diametric
November 24th, 2011, 07:48 AM
There shouldn't be.

Gnome fallback isn't exactly Gnome 2, but it's close.

Gnome 2 is dead, but being revived as "Mate"...you can Google that for more information.

If Gnome fallback isn't your cup of tea...then you may really be suprised by XFCE.

Here's a link for that....http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce

Pretty easy!

I actually really dig xfce. I guess I'm just used to gnome and want what I'm comfortable. Previously, I used xfce as a backup desktop manager just for shitz and gigglez. Makes me think I should look at that too...

DapperMe17
November 24th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Just for shits & giggles...you should. :popcorn:

Depending on when you last used it....XFCE has come a long way in the last couple of years.

Lightweight and very close in look and tweaking to Gnome.

If your thinking of completely reinstalling, check out that website I linked for you...it should still have a great tutorial for installing with a seperate / and /home partitions.

It's very easy to do in the installer and is great for upgrades.

Diametric
November 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Great, I'll give it another look. I think that's all I needed to go back and see what xfce is up too.

Thank for everyone's help!

DapperMe17
November 24th, 2011, 08:03 AM
[-o<

tersogar
November 24th, 2011, 08:12 AM
No. But I'm about to run the gnome-fallback suggestion. Any difference between that and the gnome shell you mention?

I prefer gnome2 but gnome shell at least get rid of unity and is very easy to try.
Just type on your terminal and them log out and just select gnome.

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell