PDA

View Full Version : The start of a "new" Ubuntu CE

mhancoc7
November 24th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Hi all,
Sorry to have been gone so long. :)

I know that many of you have been wanting to see some movement with the development of Ubuntu CE. I agree that things have basically stopped.

However, here we are and together we can start fresh.

Here is what I propose.

We need a full development team. I am willing to hand over virtually all control of the development process provided that the focus stays on building a full Christian Linux distro based on Ubuntu. I also do not want the distro to become segmented by denomination. It should remain "universally" Christian as it was always intended. I will maintain the website and provide all of the resources needed for hosting the repos and iso downloads.

I don't want this team to be restrictive in any fashion. However, I do want it to have some structure and organization to keep things moving. So let's start with this thread and see if we can get a gauge for how much interest we have in working on the project.

Once we get an idea of how much support we have then we can begin to discuss the way we can organize and maintain the project.

Looking forward to a fresh start.

God Bless, Jereme

Archangelos
November 24th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Awesomeness. Jerome is back in the village! Hail, hail the gangs all here.

Now let's get to work. :popcorn:

stlsaint
November 24th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Hi all,
Sorry to have been gone so long. :)

I know that many of you have been wanting to see some movement with the development of Ubuntu CE. I agree that things have basically stopped.

However, here we are and together we can start fresh.

Here is what I propose.

We need a full development team. I am willing to hand over virtually all control of the development process provided that the focus stays on building a full Christian Linux distro based on Ubuntu. I also do not want the distro to become segmented by denomination. It should remain "universally" Christian as it was always intended. I will maintain the website and provide all of the resources needed for hosting the repos and iso downloads.

I don't want this team to be restrictive in any fashion. However, I do want it to have some structure and organization to keep things moving. So let's start with this thread and see if we can get a gauge for how much interest we have in working on the project.

Once we get an idea of how much support we have then we can begin to discuss the way we can organize and maintain the project.

God Bless, Jereme

Great to see your return Jereme. So there has been many talks of various releases for UCE. We have formed a mailing list at ubuntuchristianedition@freelists.org and a separate forum to provide various services for UCE along with this one at ubuntuce.org/forum ... most discussion has taken place on there for the future of UCE. If you are able to join the #ubuntuCE channel on freenode we can present the ideas and thoughts to you. I agree that we should remain open to the people but we do need certain "leads" in specific departments to manage aspects as artwork/packaging/builds. It is also vital that we get in contact with DK as he is lead developer we dont know what works he may have up his sleeve and we dont want to clash with him. Again great to have ya back! Lets bring UCE back to the forefront! :popcorn:

trulan
November 25th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Hi all,

I would love to see Ubuntu CE become active again, and I'd be interested in helping with testing and maybe a little packaging. Sorry, I'm not a programmer, just a self-taught tinkerer. But I'd love to at least try to help.

tonyatHCS
November 25th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I too would be willing to spend some time getting something like UCE up and rolling. I am particularly interested in the dansguardian filtering, server and desktop. I have some experience with networking and development (mostly Windoze). Would there be a way (a howto) that we could set up a testing machine and use something like remasteredsys to create iso's??

stlsaint
November 25th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Hi all,

I would love to see Ubuntu CE become active again, and I'd be interested in helping with testing and maybe a little packaging. Sorry, I'm not a programmer, just a self-taught tinkerer. But I'd love to at least try to help.

All positive help is greatly accepted. Packaging skills will come in handy as the repositories are updated. If you would like to help please start off by joining the mailing list at ubuntuchristianedition@freelist

cortman
November 25th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hi,

I'm mildly interested in the UCE myself, but I must confess my ignorance- what does UCE have that regular Ubuntu doesn't? What makes it different?

Thanks!

stlsaint
November 27th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Hi,

I'm mildly interested in the UCE myself, but I must confess my ignorance- what does UCE have that regular Ubuntu doesn't? What makes it different?

Thanks!

Ubuntuce has the ubuntu base but comes with packages not already found in the repositories and additional graphics.

tock
December 12th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Its great to see this version become active again. I look forward to trying the latest and greatest.

t.holley.os
December 14th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I am also interested in helping out in any way I can...currently I am using Mac OSX for my main, but have a spare laptop to mess with Ubuntu on..can help with testing and whatever else a non programmer can help with.

stlsaint
December 16th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I am also interested in helping out in any way I can...currently I am using Mac OSX for my main, but have a spare laptop to mess with Ubuntu on..can help with testing and whatever else a non programmer can help with.

Thanks for offered service. We will post updates here but primary updated development info will be on the mailing list.

fredbird67
January 2nd, 2012, 01:51 PM
I too have lately had a similar desire to create a Christian and family-friendly Linux distribution. In fact, I even have a completely different name in mind for such a distro if I should wind up having to do all the gruntwork myself. However, one gripe I always had about Ubuntu CE is that there needs to be a lightweight version of it for older computers that uses something like, say, IceWM, Enlightenment, Openbox, LXDE, or Xfce for its desktop. Besides, I became completely and totally disenchanted with GNOME about 2 years ago, well before GNOME 3 came out, mainly due to the hateful attitudes of some people on GNOME-Look (the mods may shoot me for saying this, but I would guess that it was probably a bunch of immature Ubuntu fanboys that were to blame for that), which drove me to Xfce.

Something else I would like to see done here is, instead of basing it on Ubuntu, how about instead base it on Bodhi? Bodhi is also based on Ubuntu, but uses Enlightenment for its desktop and strips out the things that make Ubuntu too heavy for my tastes. Also, Bodhi has the drivers for Broadcom wireless cards pre-installed, and my wife has such a laptop that we've had since soon after we got married in 2005, which makes Bodhi a great fit for whenever I want to run a live USB of it on there (she insists on keeping Windows XP on there -- ho hum, I still have yet to convert her...). Mind you, I did get that thing to work under Xubuntu once about 3 years ago, but it involved a LOT of trial and error that took me 2 or 3 days or so to finally get properly configured -- but to provide such functionality, it would, IMHO, be much easier to base it on Bodhi instead.

Oh, and in order to avoid any potential legal problems regarding proprietary multimedia codecs, Flash, and the like, just like Ubuntu, Bodhi does NOT come with those pre-installed, either. Anyways, these are all part of my wishlist for such a distro.

KBD47
January 3rd, 2012, 01:20 AM
I think it would be nice to have a sort of middle of the road distro so that it would work on the most hardware, I think Xubuntu would be a great choice as fully featured and yet should work well on old hardware. I'd suggest Xiphos and Bible Time out of the box, also LibreOffice for word processing, Abiword is just too light for serious word processing. Firefox with toolbar enabled for some favorite Christian web sites. Rhythmbox or Banshee for some Christian music/radio.
KBD47

nixblog
January 3rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'm semi seriously developing a Debian Testing CE version with XFCE 4.8 as the desktop and complete with LibreOffice, Scribus, Firefox, Thunderbird and goodie such as Xiphos, Bible Time, Bible Edit, OpenLP and Wine with as many free Windows based Christian apps. It's fully multimedia capable too with Mplayer, VLC, Exaile and OpenShot but to name a few.

It's starting to get a bit heavy at a 1.4GB DVD build but, I know that most users will want something that is complete and ready to go much in the same way as Mint won its initial following.

On my 4 year old lappy, this 64bit build is consuming about 220MB at login with XFCE compositing turned on, and running Squid, Samba, CUPS and all wireless stuff etc so it's not that bad on resources. I'd say this wannabe distro sits in the middle ground as far as resource usage goes.

Fredbird67 made some very good points about a lightweight version and I see IceWM, LXDE or Openbox scoring well. At the top end I would envisage a Gnome Shell build - sorry Unity...

fredbird67
January 6th, 2012, 08:08 PM
At the top end, if one wanted a fully-featured desktop, I would go with KDE myself, since it's said to be the desktop environment that would be the most familiar for Windows Vista/7 refugees. In fact, rumor has it that Microsoft based the Windows 7 (and maybe Vista) desktop on KDE -- but that's just a rumor. Naturally, I'm sure Microsoft will deny that, of course...

stlsaint
January 9th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I'm semi seriously developing a Debian Testing CE version with XFCE 4.8 as the desktop and complete with LibreOffice, Scribus, Firefox, Thunderbird and goodie such as Xiphos, Bible Time, Bible Edit, OpenLP and Wine with as many free Windows based Christian apps. It's fully multimedia capable too with Mplayer, VLC, Exaile and OpenShot but to name a few.

It's starting to get a bit heavy at a 1.4GB DVD build but, I know that most users will want something that is complete and ready to go much in the same way as Mint won its initial following.

On my 4 year old lappy, this 64bit build is consuming about 220MB at login with XFCE compositing turned on, and running Squid, Samba, CUPS and all wireless stuff etc so it's not that bad on resources. I'd say this wannabe distro sits in the middle ground as far as resource usage goes.

Fredbird67 made some very good points about a lightweight version and I see IceWM, LXDE or Openbox scoring well. At the top end I would envisage a Gnome Shell build - sorry Unity...

Nice work from what you say you have. True xfce is very easy on the resources over gnome. And unity seems to have no head way with alot of users and developers. It would be great to encourage more christian based developed distros as long as we dont clash with each other. If you would have any questions please feel free to join the christian edition mainling list as stated in earlier postings.

nixblog
January 11th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks, joined the list a couple of weeks ago but no one has posted anything on it since joining - will put that down to xmas/new year stuff so lets hope it get active from now on :)

i just threw this build together as a sort of exercise/experiment as I was actually building a Debian XFCE desktop for my home PC but I saw potential for other uses too. A Ubuntu base might be an easier solution for building the distro and for the end user, whether it be stock Ubuntu, or variant such as XFCE etc. I believe XFCE is probably the way to go at this point in time.

I agree that we don't really need a dozen different editions out there as Linux is suffering enough from distro sprawl. However, it would be nice to have a full-blown and lightweight edition to choose from though and maybe a server edition too.

stlsaint
February 15th, 2012, 04:26 PM
To provide a heads up to the community. I have not ceased all works on a CE. I cant speak for all the devs but 11.10 is proving problematic for me. I am in strong hopes of using 12.04 (LTS and all). Others have mentioned the creation of a lightweight distro. I myself encourage the works of multiple christian edition versions myself but there will be issue with using the name UCE as discussed on mailing list and irc. In all honesty we had some steam moving towards a sooner release but many folks have ceased to contact the mailing list with updates so as far as i know im the only one still working towards a release. Cheers :popcorn:

KBD47
February 15th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Just as an interested bystander I would recommend a LTS release version so that if you base it on Ubuntu it will have 5 years LTS, it will be useful and current for quite awhile. Not to get into the Unity bashing thing, but I would suggest putting an Xfce or LXDE desktop on it. Alternately I would suggest basing it on Kubuntu for 5 years LTS. My only concern there is that Kubuntu can be heavy on older hardware or hardware with low specs. Building on Xubuntu would still be 3 years LTS and worth considering IMO.
KBD47

nixblog
February 16th, 2012, 05:43 AM
My only concern there is that Kubuntu can be heavy on older hardware or hardware with low specs. Building on Xubuntu would still be 3 years LTS and worth considering IMO.
KBD47

Personally I think KDE is only good on newer computers with plenty of resources, I find it easy to use 1GB with a web browser and a few tabs open. Xubuntu/Lubuntu base would be better and, at this stage the 12.04 LTS is the best option now.

I still think a Debian XFCE Testing (rolling distro) would be a good option.

nixblog
February 16th, 2012, 05:47 AM
To provide a heads up to the community. I have not ceased all works on a CE. I cant speak for all the devs but 11.10 is proving problematic for me. I am in strong hopes of using 12.04 (LTS and all). Others have mentioned the creation of a lightweight distro. I myself encourage the works of multiple christian edition versions myself but there will be issue with using the name UCE as discussed on mailing list and irc. In all honesty we had some steam moving towards a sooner release but many folks have ceased to contact the mailing list with updates so as far as i know im the only one still working towards a release. Cheers :popcorn:

I think you should concentrate one edition of CE and do it well. We see all too often open source/distro's spreading themselves to far and fading away. I haven't seen any postings on the mailing list since i subscribed last December... has it died?

KBD47
February 16th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I wouldn't recommend Debian Testing. Borked two installs with Debian Testing. Debian Stable with backports for newer software and the Mint Debian installer might not be bad. But Debian needs some tweaking and work to be made user friendly, that's of course how we ended up with Ubuntu :-)
KBD47

nixblog
February 16th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I've always found Debian Testing as stable as Debian Stable. As I think I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a Debian Testing install with XFCE and latest WINE, Firefox etc. It's kinda thrown together but works very well and pretty light on resources too. It might be a good idea to base it off Mint Debian XFCE! - but this would need to be an updated snapshot as the stock Mint Debian XFCE needs a ton of updates as its been a while since it was released.

stlsaint
February 16th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I agree that for userability there may be better options suited other than Ubuntu, but the name of the distro is UBUNTU Christian Edition and per Ubuntu trademark the only way we are able to use the ubuntu name is by using ubuntu of course so if we change the base OS we must change the name which will take away resources such as using the forums here and our slot on distrowatch. Again i will always encourage other variant christian editions which we already have a forum setup and ready for use if developers are interested to post other than here but my main efforts are going towards a ubuntu variant. Anyone wanting to help in that direction feel free to contact me.

nixblog
February 17th, 2012, 01:09 AM
... but the name of the distro is UBUNTU Christian Edition and per Ubuntu trademark the only way we are able to use the ubuntu name...

Sure, I understand that you cannot really lose the UCE name and what comes with it.

Good luck with your quest and I will try lend a hand if/when and where I can.

One last question, I don't like the use of WINE (my opinion) as this could possibly inhibit software development on the Linux platform. Although I understand people like and have used Windows apps for study, should it really pushed over and above native Linux Christian software?

Penguin360
February 20th, 2012, 05:27 PM
May I suggest to include theWord (www.theword.net) Bible study software in the future UCE? It can be installed with Wine on Ubuntu without needing any third-party script, and it is powerful yet easy to use.

Thank you.

warroomcbw
February 20th, 2012, 06:22 PM
"Once we get an idea of how much support we have then we can begin to discuss the way we can organize and maintain the project."

Been playing around with Lubuntu. It's pretty fast (meant for netbooks) fully functional. That's my two cents. e-sword now installs with wine perfectly, and you can choose bibetime or xiphos. what do you guys think.

cbw

forrestcupp
February 21st, 2012, 04:02 PM
e-sword now installs with wine perfectly

e-Sword only installs perfectly with wine after some tweaks, and even then, it's slow as molasses. I've had a lot greater success with running theWord in wine, and I like it a little better than e-Sword. I'll second CodingBeaver that theWord is worth taking a look at.

stlsaint
February 21st, 2012, 05:54 PM
"Once we get an idea of how much support we have then we can begin to discuss the way we can organize and maintain the project."

Thats the problem...right now I have no idea who all is wanting/attempting to make a release!?

mhancoc7
March 12th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Thats the problem...right now I have no idea who all is wanting/attempting to make a release!?

I am definitely interested in getting this going. I just need someone to take the lead. As I have said, I just don't have the time to work on the development of the project. I would love to see a true organized effort to begin.

I can keep the site up to date and want to keep help ensure that the concept of the distro remains focused. Other than that I am hopeful that more people will get on board and help get things rolling.

Jereme

pbpersson
March 12th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Can we see a list of the types of functions that volunteers can perform? For instance:

Coding (C++, Java, C#.NET with MONO?)
Documentation writers
Documentation proofreaders
Graphic Artists
Testers
Packaging experts

??? what other skills ???

sirvinniei
March 16th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Can we see a list of the types of functions that volunteers can perform? For instance:

Documentation writers
Graphic Artists
Testers
Packaging experts

I'd like to volunteer for testing purposes and maybe some sound or music making but don't have much other skills.

GB

stlsaint
March 18th, 2012, 02:46 AM

Documentation writers
Graphic Artists
Testers
Packaging experts

Programmers and documentation writers are welcome across the board of course. Code validation is enforced. We also need packagers to maintain our repositories. But as of right now as i work on a build i am in need of Graphic personnel. Those who can provide wallpapers, designs and can package them for use. I have been focusing on the programs and building of the distro.

tumelo
March 19th, 2012, 02:42 AM
I would love to help out on a project like this, but I've never been a part of an open source project, so I don't know how they are managed or where I would begin. I know Java and a little C++, but besides that my skills are quit limited.

bcschmerker
March 19th, 2012, 03:09 AM
The restart of Ubuntu® Christian Edition™ in time for 12.04.1-LTS is something I consider critical for a stalled projection-computer project based on a rebuilt eMachines®/Acer® EL1210-09 fitted with a Shuttle® PC6300002 power supply and Asus® EN210/DI/512MD2(LP) display adapter (needed to drive the primary display; I'm still using the planar nVIDIA® GeForce® 8200, in this case to drive a remote Sharp® VGA/XGA projector). I am not satisfied with any of the presentation-type software for either Microsoft® Windows® 6-up or Apple® MacOS® X™ and have been unable to get satisfactory operability with KUbuntu® 10.04.4-LTS (Ichthux™, based on KUbuntu®, has been orphaned since 2009). I am fully satisfied with the GNOME® interface and recommend it as first choice for Ubuntu® CE™, as Unity™ has proved quite buggy. XFCE™ is a satisfactory fallback in the event that GNOME® proves too resource-hungry for a large number of systems.

To date, in presentation software, only OpenLP® has shown itself to have what I consider a critical user interface: Fully separate Program and Preview sub-displays similar to those of hardware character generators used in television studios. I'm currently awaiting bug fixes for Open LP® due to two recent Ubuntu® Updates™ breaking it.

wilzi359
March 20th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Hi there I have recently moved over to ubuntu and was so pleased to discover this Christian version I would very much like to install on the Church Laptop.
Whilst I can see the downlod location via torrent and downloaded ubuntuce 9.10 I am a little reluctant to install for security reasons if it is possible could someone please provide a valid md5sum or shasum
the Info hash code given (32 bit)on download page does not tally with my md5sum
Your help is much appreciated

stlsaint
March 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Hi there I have recently moved over to ubuntu and was so pleased to discover this Christian version I would very much like to install on the Church Laptop.
Whilst I can see the downlod location via torrent and downloaded ubuntuce 9.10 I am a little reluctant to install for security reasons if it is possible could someone please provide a valid md5sum or shasum
the Info hash code given (32 bit)on download page does not tally with my md5sum
Your help is much appreciated

If your md5sums do not match than your download was wrong. Please try re-downloading again.

RememberWhenItRained
May 2nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
I'd like to volunteer for testing purposes and maybe some sound or music making but don't have much other skills.

GB

this. IT/Info. Sys. Major in college, but minimal coding abilities.

RememberWhenItRained
May 2nd, 2012, 09:17 PM
also, the website says based on 9.10. Probably time that moved to 12.04 Precise as it is an LTS

KBD47
May 3rd, 2012, 12:53 AM
So far Precise is very stable for me. With the option of Unity 3D or 2D it should work on most computers. Unity is definitely looking better this time around.

RememberWhenItRained
May 7th, 2012, 08:58 AM
So far Precise is very stable for me. With the option of Unity 3D or 2D it should work on most computers. Unity is definitely looking better this time around.

funny. it crashes/freezes when waking from suspend every other time for me. Clean install and problem persisted.

tdlam
June 6th, 2012, 05:52 AM
I would be interested in helping out. I have writing skills and would like to lend a hand with documentation writing or any other. Also, I hope you good folks are intending on including other desktops other than UNity...not a big fan of Unity at all. It would be nice to have LXDE or Xfce...or any other as well.

anyway...I'm glad I stumbled on this and as I said am interested to help.

All the very best to you all.

Megaptera
June 6th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Similar thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11485601#post11485601 called 'Toward an Ubuntu CE 12.04.

KBD47
June 6th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Just curious what all would make this a Christian Edition? I can see some bible study tools like Xiphos, some bookmarks in Firefox to a number of Christian web sites like Biblegateway, some Christian themed wallpaper, perhaps a Christian theme screensaver, but what else would specifically make it a Christian distro?
My suggestion would be for two versions, a KDE edition for good hardware, and a LXDE edition for low spec hardware, both based on LTS. Might even be worth considering an edition based on Debian Stable, some people are having issues with the new buntu LTS. Maybe a fork off of the new SolusOS Debian Stable, very impressive distro with Gnome 2, needed codecs for music and flash, should have about 2 years support. It works great on my 8 year old desktop computer out of the box. with a 2x processor and 750mb ram.

meditatingfrog
June 6th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I too would be willing to spend some time getting something like UCE up and rolling. I am particularly interested in the dansguardian filtering, server and desktop. I have some experience with networking and development (mostly Windoze). Would there be a way (a howto) that we could set up a testing machine and use something like remasteredsys to create iso's??

You have the right idea with remastersys. I've used remastersys to make an iso, i'm pretty sure it's all you need. Here's a how to http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/customize-distro-remastersys.

The other thing is probably setting up torrents for transferring, it really is the fastest way to xfer.

Anybody who is willing to take up their cross could customize their own, create an iso with remastersys, put up a torrent, then paste a link on here.

Yeshua bless all.

stlsaint
June 6th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Just curious what all would make this a Christian Edition? I can see some bible study tools like Xiphos, some bookmarks in Firefox to a number of Christian web sites like Biblegateway, some Christian themed wallpaper, perhaps a Christian theme screensaver, but what else would specifically make it a Christian distro?
My suggestion would be for two versions, a KDE edition for good hardware, and a LXDE edition for low spec hardware, both based on LTS. Might even be worth considering an edition based on Debian Stable, some people are having issues with the new buntu LTS. Maybe a fork off of the new SolusOS Debian Stable, very impressive distro with Gnome 2, needed codecs for music and flash, should have about 2 years support. It works great on my 8 year old desktop computer out of the box. with a 2x processor and 750mb ram.

See here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1998417

jfyi this thread will probably be closed.

sffvba[e0rt
June 6th, 2012, 10:31 PM
See here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1998417

jfyi this thread will probably be closed.

As requested, please see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1998417

Thread closed.