PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Going Into The Madness That Is: Black Friday?

Tinker Tantrum
November 23rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
Anyone thinking of venturing out into the chaotic crowds and (potentially) deadly stampedes to get a deal? I was thinking of going to Best Buy for a television but I really don't want to stand in line for hours and hours. Is it worth it to you? What extremes are you willing/not willing to go? Do you expect chaos or are you optimistic and expect everyone to behave in a calm and orderly fashion?

DeadSuperHero
November 23rd, 2011, 10:57 PM
I'm working Black Friday from 4 AM to 3 PM. It. Will. Be. CHAOS.

I'm lucky that I'm just a stock-boy at Hollister, and not actually a retail worker. Those people are going to have it the worst.

LowSky
November 24th, 2011, 12:30 AM
When I worked retail, things were crazy, even though it was a bookstore.

My most fondest memory was I was clearing registers and then carrying a large amount of cash, including a small safe and two drawers to the back office when a woman yelled at me to help her. I told her I would be back in a minute and she tried to follow me to the back room yelling that no one would help her. I had to close the door in her face. Which got her madder and she pounded on the door. All that fuss for a book that was on the front table as you walk in the store.

I have on idea why Black Friday sales even exist. If the companies want this kind of traffic, just have the same type of sales during the whole year.

kurt18947
November 24th, 2011, 01:01 AM
NO. Media and marketers do not control my behavior.

MoonLitOwl
November 24th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Nope, I already bought myself my own gifts online.

weasel fierce
November 24th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I'm a commie so no, I will not partake.

Tinker Tantrum
November 24th, 2011, 05:10 AM

I know right? If the world were more rational, then these retailers would be forced to have Black Fridays every month.

sammiev
November 24th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Anyone thinking of venturing out into the chaotic crowds and (potentially) deadly stampedes to get a deal? I was thinking of going to Best Buy for a television but I really don't want to stand in line for hours and hours. Is it worth it to you? What extremes are you willing/not willing to go? Do you expect chaos or are you optimistic and expect everyone to behave in a calm and orderly fashion?

Let me know... I will send flowers! :) but why would someone put them through that?

lisati
November 24th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Wut? Friday 13th already? :D

Just kidding, probably won't notice any difference between this week's Friday and most other Fridays here where I live.

Dangertux
November 24th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Nope I'm doing Cyber Monday from the safety and convenience of my computer lol.

tersogar
November 24th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I try to dance on my terms.

wolfen69
November 24th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I don't need anything, so no, I won't be participating in marketing madness.

mamamia88
November 24th, 2011, 07:43 AM
No because all I would want is videogames and amazon matches pretty much all the deals. and even if they didn't i have pretty much every game i was looking forward too everything else would just be gravy

cortman
November 25th, 2011, 08:12 PM
NO. WAY.

Black Friday's become one of the most loathsome events in the US, in my opinion. People going absolutely NUTS over material stuff. Just stuff. The display of greed and blatant consumerism rather gets on my minimalist nerves...
I found out a good while back that happiness is not in having more stuff or getting better deals on more stuff. I just imagine the rather empty feeling all the black Friday shoppers will have a week from now, when the novelty's worn off, but the credit card bills start coming in.

Mazate
November 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
no. Way.

Black friday's become one of the most loathsome events in the us, in my opinion. People going absolutely nuts over material stuff. Just stuff. The display of greed and blatant consumerism rather gets on my minimalist nerves...
I found out a good while back that happiness is not in having more stuff or getting better deals on more stuff. I just imagine the rather empty feeling all the black friday shoppers will have a week from now, when the novelty's worn off, but the credit card bills start coming in.

+1

Redblade20XX
November 25th, 2011, 08:31 PM
+1

+2

Couldn't have said it better!

Linuxratty
November 25th, 2011, 08:46 PM

Same here. We exchange gifts t day weekend,so gifts were bought months ago.

CharlesA
November 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM
The only shopping I have done is online.. I don't want to deal with the MADNESS that is a physical store.

Frogs Hair
November 25th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I have never taken part and see no reason to start .

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Why would I want to stand in line with 100's of other people for hours in the hope of getting one of the 10 in-stock goodies advertised?

I'm not falling for the marketing trick to get me in the store to buy something else when I can't get one of those hard to get goodies.

Furthermore, I'm 63 years old, and one of those crazed shoppers may accidentally knock me to the floor to get to that goody they need so badly. I've been to stores during Black Friday; therefore, I choose to avoid the stores for a day or two.

I can take my time online to get good bargains. Ten medium priced products with 25% savings versus one big priced product with 80% savings. I think I may do better overall at saving money by carefully shopping online.

skierkyles
November 26th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I went out at about 11:30 to the Best Buy midnight opening with a friend, waited in line for about 30 minutes, got into the store. We both got Battlefield 3 (1/2 off, pretty good deal). Left and paid with cash. It was a good time.

Sure if your going to be paying %18 interest on your credit cards over the 3rd led tv you need to have you should probably reconsider, otherwise I don't think it's that big of a deal.

wolfen69
November 26th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I went out at about 11:30 to the Best Buy midnight opening with a friend, waited in line for about 30 minutes, got into the store. We both got Battlefield 3 (1/2 off, pretty good deal). Left and paid with cash. It was a good time.

Sure if your going to be paying %18 interest on your credit cards over the 3rd led tv you need to have you should probably reconsider, otherwise I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Yeah, that's pretty good, but the deals they show on tv are a joke. You are lucky if they have 3 items of what you want. It's about getting bodies in the door.

donkyhotay
November 26th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Anyone thinking of venturing out into the chaotic crowds and (potentially) deadly stampedes to get a deal?

No

rg4w
November 26th, 2011, 03:22 PM
On Black Friday I took a stroll through coastal woods with some old friends.

IMNSHO Black Friday is well named: it is death, a cultural embarrassment. I doubt Jesus would be impressed with how some people celebrate his birth.

cortman
November 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM
on black friday i took a stroll through coastal woods with some old friends.

Imnsho black friday is well named: It is death, a cultural embarrassment. I doubt jesus would be impressed with how some people celebrate his birth.

+1!

mips
November 26th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Is this where people lose all common decency and stampede others to death?

CharlesA
November 26th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Is this where people lose all common decency and stampede others to death?
Yep. I skipped it, no point in even bothering when the item they show on TV (That I would like, not need) only has like 5 or 10 in stock.

whatthefunk
November 26th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I hate Christmas because of this kind of crap. I dont want to have anything to do with it anymore. Amount of money Ill be giving to retailers this holiday season: $0.

mips
November 26th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Yep.

I saw a video once and can't actually believe people behave like that :cry:

nerdopolis
November 26th, 2011, 05:30 PM
No... I don't want to be gettin' down under somebody's Sketchers on Black Friday...

wolfen69
November 26th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Yep. only has like 5 or 10 in stock.

5 or 10? Try 2. Sometimes 1.

rivenathos
November 26th, 2011, 07:33 PM
From what I have seen, there really are not any excellent deals worth the hassle. As usual, I am going to be shopping online from home at my leisure.

Robertjm
November 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I had intended to buy all the parts for my new computer at Fry's, but when I saw the ads I checked out Newegg.com on Thanksgiving Day. Saved a boat load by doing that.

What was interesting was that Fry's split their "Door busters" into two waves, Midnight and 6am. Nothing I wanted at Midnight so I got up about 5a and got to Fry's, in Concord, at about 5:45a. It was surreally quiet. Virtually empty store. Grabbed the three items I wanted at 6a, went to the cashiers and was the second in line. Total time in store, 20-25 minutes!

Should be interesting to see what Cyber Monday brings. I would like go get a 1-2Tb SATA internal HDD for around $100, if possible.

Robert

CharlesA
November 28th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Wow. I wonder if the reason it was quiet was cuz it was Fry's and not Walmart.

I've seen some insane videos of stuff that happened at Walmart on Black Friday.

Robertjm
November 28th, 2011, 07:14 PM
While Fry's doesn't get Walmart crazy, they are usually insanely busy. Last time I bought on Black Friday I was in the checkout line for 2 1/2 hours!!!

Robert

Wow. I wonder if the reason it was quiet was cuz it was Fry's and not Walmart.

I've seen some insane videos of stuff that happened at Walmart on Black Friday.

CharlesA
November 28th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Wow, that is insane.