PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trying to install on a dell dimension 2400. no luck

macgig
November 23rd, 2011, 09:49 PM
not having any luck. trying to install from the cd that I burned. freezes 1/2 through the install process. any ideas?

also tried booting from the cd which also didnt work. Im new to ubuntu... so Im guessing im doing something wrong?

macgig
November 23rd, 2011, 10:06 PM
cant edit my former post.

it gets to the desktop almost.... install screen still running... still copying files... welcome to ubuntu 11.10.... still copying files... about half way through it stops.... then nothing.... froze up or something? not sure. screen goes black a few seconds... then back to the installing, copying files... I still see the cursor that looks like a CD, but it's no longer spinning like it was... the progress bar under "copying files" no longer seems to move.

it kicked the cd out on reboot so I removed it. so the cd isnt needed to finish the install?

BC59
November 23rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
The Dell dimension 2400 is too old to learn new tricks. The original RAM was 256Mb means lower than the 500Mb which is the limit for Ubuntu. If you upgraded the RAM then there is a problem with the processor.

In any case try to make a bootable USB because maybe your CD is not OK.

macgig
November 23rd, 2011, 10:23 PM
The Dell dimension 2400 is too old to learn new tricks. The original RAM was 256Mb means lower than the 500Mb which is the limit for Ubuntu. If you upgraded the RAM then there is a problem with the processor.

In any case try to make a bootable USB because maybe your CD is not OK.

I have 500mb ram... but I'll try what you said. thank you for the fast help. :)