PDA

View Full Version : USA: What do you do for Thanksgiving?

Dragonbite
November 23rd, 2011, 05:05 PM
Since the holiday (travel at least) is upon us, what do YOU do for Thanksgiving?

The past few years we host both mine and my wife's family but this year my parents are going to be hosting it. This is going to be interesting because both families are very, um.. different from each other.

Then to add to the mix, my brother is up this year and while the families are different, at least everybody else has had a chance to "get used to" each other.

I think I am going to try and go into a Turkey Coma as quick as I can (and leave the video camera on for post-fireworks watching!)

How about you?

Frogs Hair
November 23rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
I spend the day feasting with my parents and being from WI the Packer / Lions game is a must .

My brother and sisters live in three different states and don't make it home for the holidays very often .

I used to go to my favorite pub in the evening , but I no longer drink , so that is pointless unless old friends are in town or a good band is playing . I will be attending gathering at a friends house Saturday.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving day and weekend !! :)

dniMretsaM
November 23rd, 2011, 05:39 PM
Me and my family are going to my grandparents house. We leave today and come back Saturday. We'll eat, visit with family, and watch some football (duh).

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Dustintendo
November 23rd, 2011, 05:59 PM
this year i am eating with my family and then bringing dinner to my girlfriend who will be spending time with her mother who is in the hospital while her father and brother tend to their rental properties.

drawkcab
November 23rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
I haven't been home for thanksgiving since 1998. It costs too much in terms of time/money to go home for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Instead I just get together with friends and we cook and drink.

forrestcupp
November 23rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
We gather together at 6:00am and sit around in a circle holding hands, taking turns saying something we are thankful for for three hours straight. The first two people who take longer than 10 seconds to come up with something have to eat a bologna sandwich for lunch instead of turkey. And superficial things don't count; that's a sure way of having bologna for Thanksgiving dinner.

Then we watch football. You know what really sucks? This is the only year the Lions would have had a chance at winning their Thanksgiving game, and this happens to be the year they have to play the undefeated Packers. They just can't catch a break.

Dragonbite
November 23rd, 2011, 06:40 PM
I think the most interesting thing is that this is the first time my brother and my brother-in-law will be meeting since God-knows-how-long!

oldos2er
November 23rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Cook, eat.

Linuxratty
November 23rd, 2011, 07:12 PM
The house is broken into three apartments for us 3 unmarried folk.
I already cooked the bird and we split it 3 ways...
What we do on T day (since we don't do xmas) is we exchange gifts.

No tv's here so NO SPORTS!!!! Woopie!
When I moved away,I was SO happy to never have to hear football announcers drone on every bloody t day.

Tinker Tantrum
November 23rd, 2011, 10:08 PM
I go to as many relatives houses as possible, stay for an hour, say hello to everyone, make a plate-to-go; that way I have food to last for the rest of the year. Sounds pretty awful, I know, but it's the thought that counts right?

Quadunit404
November 23rd, 2011, 11:12 PM
Spend the Thanksgiving holiday with family.

As I've been doing since I was young.

MoonLitOwl
November 24th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Nothing special, we're not really into "celebrating" holidays. We'll be eating turkey for sure, but it's really just a culture thing.

Thankfully the majority of the family lives to far away.

anna2112
November 24th, 2011, 04:22 AM
I always enjoy watching movies, TV series in HD LED TV !!! with a wonderful sound system..with my husband of course !!!

bsniadajewski
November 24th, 2011, 04:55 AM
I spend the day feasting with my parents and being from WI the Packer / Lions game is a must .

I'm also from WI, I'm also going to feast on turkey and watch our beloved Packers go to 11 against the Lions. <does the Aaron Rodgers belt celebration>

Dragonbite
November 24th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I think we are going to try and take the kids out for a hike beforehand, in hopes it helps wear them out ;) Then dinner is early (2 PM~ish) so the in-laws, who don't like to drive in the dark, can make it home before too late.

The benefit of the early meals, too, is that when they came to our house we would have a couple of hours with the in-laws, then my parents would show up, we would eat, the in-laws would go home (before dark), and my parents would stay for a while. We thus had time with each group individually as well as together.

Not sure how well this one is going to go, being at my parent's, but it will be interesting.

mamamia88
November 24th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Visit relatives who live about an hour away so I only see them about once a year. Just sit down and chat the have a huge meal and watch american football at least until we get bored and put something more interesting on.

mips
November 24th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Why is this a US only custom, enlighten me.

Frogs Hair
November 24th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Why is this a US only custom, enlighten me.

Canada also has a Thanksgiving day . The holidays origin in the US is based on a feast between European settlers and native Americans at harvest time . It was forgotten until the 19th century . A reference to that feast was discovered in the writings of an early American and the celebration of that feast began again . Thanksgiving eventually became a holiday .

betterhands
November 24th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Used to go to my Mom's every year without fail until she moved to a smaller place before last Thanksgiving.

So last year was our first year hosting, and we're doing that again this year. Turkey went in the oven at 9:30 and we plan to be eating at 3 :)

We're big football fans and will be watching it throughout the day. My brother and i will be slinging the ball around ourselves and playing with our sons in the yard in between the gluttony.

food is my favorite thing, and football is a close second, so this is my favorite holiday of the year by far. \\:D/

hope everyone enjoys the day regardless of what you're doing (or not doing ;))