PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.10 lets user uninstall "Mail Reader/Web Browser", resulting in unusable desktop

pheel
November 23rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
Hello all,

The issue as I've diagnosed it is a xubuntu one, but I suspect the fix will relate to some more general knowledge.

It seems that a change from 11.04 to 11.10 is that the Software Center now lets users uninstall what shows up as "Mail Reader" and "Web Browser". I, a clueless user, decided it would be a good idea to go ahead and do that for "Mail Reader", but I realized soon enough that I had probably uninstalled something related to exo, or exo as a whole. (As a matter of fact, Web Browser too disapeared when I did that.)

Now, I imagine as a result of that uninstallation, and of exo's close ties with xfce, I am able to see the login screen but not anything beyond that. When I log in, xfce doesn't fully load and gets stuck at displaying the wallpaper and a tiny gray box in the top left corner of the screen.

1) Is what I described a plausible cause of the problem?

2) What would be the best way to reinstall the missing packages, provided I cannot get into the desktop?

Many thanks!!

LewisTM
November 23rd, 2011, 09:45 PM
Your assumption is right, what you did was remove the exo-utils package, which is required by pretty much all of xfce's base components. This in effect has a cascading effect and removes those components as well.

You can go to a virtual console by pressing control-alt-F1. This will bring you to a text mode login screen were you can login as you and run
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop to restore everything. Then reboot (ctrl-alt-del) or switch back to the X session (ctrl-alt-F7) and kill it with <Alt><SysRq><k>. This should bring you back to a graphical login screen. You next login should lead you to a functional desktop.

That's of course assuming you have internet access from a wired connection. If you connect by wireless, it's possible you need the desktop to be running in the first place; but then again it might work regardless.

Cheers!

pheel
November 23rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
No wonder the desktop wouldn't load: xubuntu-desktop and all of its dependents had been uninstalled! Ctrl+Alt+F1 at login screen and 'sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop' did the trick.

So for anyone wondering what uninstalling "Mail Reader" or "Web Browser" from the Ubuntu Software Center does... that's what. Potentially easy mistake to make...

pheel
November 23rd, 2011, 09:49 PM
Your assumption is right, what you did was remove the exo-utils package, which is required by pretty much all of xfce's base components. This in effect has a cascading effect and removes those components as well.

You can go to a virtual console by pressing control-alt-F1. This will bring you to a text mode login screen were you can login as you and run
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop to restore everything. Then reboot (ctrl-alt-del) or switch back to the X session (ctrl-alt-F7) and kill it with <Alt><SysRq><k>. This should bring you back to a graphical login screen. You next login should lead you to a functional desktop.

That's of course assuming you have internet access from a wired connection. If you connect by wireless, it's possible you need the desktop to be running in the first place; but then again it might work regardless.

Cheers!

Thanks for the correct answer. :)