PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] how to turn off message tray in Gnome 3.2?

cortman
November 23rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
I tried to post about this earlier, but my terms weren't accurate and created some confusion.
I'd like to know how, if possible, to remove the message tray from Gnome 3.2 This would be the auto-hide bar on the bottom. I think I can move the messages and notifications to the top panel, which I will do, but I'd also like to eliminate the possibility of mousing over the bottom right corner and bringing it up, if possible... Anyone have any ideas?

Frogs Hair
November 23rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
You can disable notifications under the user name on the top right . I don't know about removing the bottom panel reveal though . In my case the whether clipboard , and Mailnag icons appear there .

cortman
November 24th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Turning off notifications on the top bar didn't change it, unfortunately... There surely has to be a way to do it. I find it very annoying especially that whenever I connect or disconnect from a network, or insert an external drive it pops up and will not autohide until I acknowledge the notification by clicking it and then waiting for several minutes (ok, seconds) until it disappears.

Frogs Hair
November 24th, 2011, 01:56 AM
sudo apt-get remove notify-osd

This should remove all notification pop-ups . Logout/in may be required .

cortman
November 24th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. I logged out/in, and inserted a USB flash drive and the notification popped right up.
I had hoped there was some way to do it, but it may just be one of those things that stays broken... Maybe I should research writing my own extension script.