PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Natty narwhal upgrade

christon74
November 23rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Hello everyone :)
I have not updated ubuntu. I still run Meerkat on this computer. What I would like to know is this:
If I update/upgrade to Natty Narwhat, will 'Natty' immediately recognize the printer, scanner and other peripherals? Or will it again be such a terrible hassle finding the drivers for Natty to take all peripherals on board?
Thank you all in advance for any piece of information on this subject.
Chris.

Frogs Hair
November 23rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
11.04 uses a different kernel , so that may be an issue . Run a search/s for driver support on 11.04 as it relates to your hardware .

12.04 (5 year support) will be released about the time 10.10 reaches EOL and it will most likely require a clean installation from what I have read . If you have a well running system you may want to wait 5 months for 12.04 . If you are curious , by all means , take the plunge . :)

jimmydean886-2
November 23rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Everything that one configures into the system through the control center remains.

Oh by the way, 11.10 is out as well, so you may want to do a double upgrade. I for one like being able to run Gnome Shell and Unity without one breaking the other.

In 11.04, (as you probably know) unity was put into the desktop edition. Gnome 3 was a ppa (and still is, but in 11.10, it's in the regular software sources)

There, Unity would break if you wanted an upgrade.

That is no longer.

Also, GNOME Classic (the non-shell/unity version of GNOME) has the same configurable panels, you just need to hold down the alt key while right-clicking for some things.

christon74
November 27th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks a lot for such a quick reply. I still have not made up my mind about Natty. After all, Meerkat 10.10 is still running well and as they say 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

:)