PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to REDUCE antialiasing? (It is much stronger than on e.g. Debian)

mahy
November 23rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Hi y'all,

I tried running both Debian and Ubuntu (Xubuntu) on the same machine, and even with the same appearance settings, Ubuntu fonts are much more anti-aliased than Debian's. Some people like it, I don't. Please compare the attached screenshots (just make sure to view them on 100% zoom ):P ).

Needless to say, I prefer the Debian look, but would like to achieve it on my Ubuntu machine(s) as well. I have not been able to find any working solution. Guys, please help if you can.

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT: These attachments are resized, which effectively destroys the difference in fonts. Please find the links to original images in the follow-up post.

mahy
November 23rd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Drat, I see that the screenshots are resized. That won't show the difference in antialiasing. You can find the original sized images here:

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/9797/screenshotdebian.png

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2146/screenshotubuntug.png

gordintoronto
November 24th, 2011, 05:25 AM
I'm sorry, I don't see any difference between the two screenshots.

sammiev
November 24th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I'm sorry, I don't see any difference between the two screenshots.

Dido

typhoon_tip
November 24th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Have you tried to change the "Hinting" to "Slight" or "None" ?

mahy
November 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Have you tried to change the "Hinting" to "Slight" or "None" ?

Yes I have. Does not produce the desired result.

Besides, have you all looked at the screenshots posted on ImageShack? (NOT at the attached ones!) If you view them on full zoom, there is a difference. Clearly visible on any LCD display...

typhoon_tip
November 24th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Yes I have. Does not produce the desired result.

Besides, have you all looked at the screenshots posted on ImageShack? (NOT at the attached ones!) If you view them on full zoom, there is a difference. Clearly visible on any LCD display...

Yes I have seen them, and noticed the difference. Looks like the Hinting of Debian isn't quite the same as Ubuntu one. What version of Ubuntu are you using exactly ?

typhoon_tip
November 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Besides, I am pretty sure on my 11.10 the hinting looks even better than Debian, I think I understand what you mean and why you are not happy with that one.

Try this: instead of using Sans Serif font, switch to the Ubuntu one, I think it may have something to do with the font itself. Not exactly Sans Serif, but you are much better off than that ! :)

http://www.learn-digital.com/temp/font-aliasing.png

mahy
November 24th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Besides, I am pretty sure on my 11.10 the hinting looks even better than Debian, I think I understand what you mean and why you are not happy with that one.

Try this: instead of using Sans Serif font, switch to the Ubuntu one, I think it may have something to do with the font itself. Not exactly Sans Serif, but you are much better off than that ! :)

Thanks for your understanding! :) I'm using Xubuntu Oneiric. And Debian testing. The hinting in Ubuntu is not bad (and IMHO is far better if you're using white fonts on dark background), but I just happen to like the narrower letters more.

typhoon_tip
November 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for your understanding! :) I'm using Xubuntu Oneiric. And Debian testing. The hinting in Ubuntu is not bad (and IMHO is far better if you're using white fonts on dark background), but I just happen to like the narrower letters more.

Then I suggest you to download with Synaptic the entire series of extra fonts, and also MS Core fonts (search for Trebuchet, it will bring up the ms-core-font-installer or something the like), and choose the one that you prefer most. You will really have dozens of fonts to test around, happy anti-aliasing ! :guitar: