PDA

View Full Version : shorewall

airzer0
June 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM
hi all first of all i would like to say ubuntu rocks! second i want to run shorewall and my question is "how would i configure my set up". not configure the actual program, but i want to use 2 nic cards and connect to the internet with my ip masked. i read somewhere that this could be done. any help would be greatly appriciated.

OffHand
June 4th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Why not buy a cheap router somewhere.
Easier, safer and you don't have to put on the main computer if you want
to use the internet on the secondary.

airzer0
June 4th, 2006, 12:16 PM
ok so im new to security and such how would i be able to mask my ip with a router? would the router be all i need? i wouldn't even need shorewall then? thank you

OffHand
June 4th, 2006, 12:18 PM
ok so im new to security and such how would i be able to mask my ip with a router? would the router be all i need? i wouldn't even need shorewall then? thank you
Most modern routers have a build in firewall. So that would be all you need. You don't have to mask your IP. The router more or less works as a small server which hands out IP addresses to computers on the network.

airzer0
June 4th, 2006, 12:23 PM
ok so i know there is really no way to totally be hidden on the internet, but i guess what to learn or know how to do is if someone tries to trace my ip i want it to show like alaska or africa really any where but my real ip. is that illegal?

airzer0
June 4th, 2006, 12:26 PM
ok scratch the illgeal part im sure it is but where could i learn such a skill

OffHand
June 4th, 2006, 12:29 PM
ok so i know there is really no way to totally be hidden on the internet, but i guess what to learn or know how to do is if someone tries to trace my ip i want it to show like alaska or africa really any where but my real ip. is that illegal?
The only way to achieve that is to use something as TOR:

http://tor.eff.org/

Don't worry about people tracing you too much. Because the packages send over the internet usually don't always take the same route, tracing is pretty inacurate. The closest I ever got was when I traced a friend to the end of his street hehe. But when I trace myself it's about 150KM off. To give you an idea.

airzer0
June 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM
thanks shadow i sent you a message

airzer0
June 4th, 2006, 12:38 PM
And remember that this is development code—it's not a good idea to rely on the current Tor network if you really need strong anonymity. ok so what if i want more?

OffHand
June 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM
And remember that this is development code—it's not a good idea to rely on the current Tor network if you really need strong anonymity. ok so what if i want more?unplug the network cable :mrgreen:

airzer0
June 4th, 2006, 12:44 PM
lol one more question off the subject i recently updated to 2.6.16 kernel and my nvidia is installed b/c i see it but when i boot up it say x-org not configured correctly, chanded to vesa work fine, but want my 3d acceraltion. any ideas?

OffHand
June 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM
lol one more question off the subject i recently updated to 2.6.16 kernel and my nvidia is installed b/c i see it but when i boot up it say x-org not configured correctly, chanded to vesa work fine, but want my 3d acceraltion. any ideas?
You better post this question in the video support forum. I usually use a script to install the nvidia drivers. The script also configures xorg for me.