PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia GTX 550 ti not working

david476
November 23rd, 2011, 01:28 AM
I recently bought a GTX 550 ti graphics card. the user manual said to install drivers after putting the card in my computer. when I try to boot, it opens ubuntu as if it were in terminal. should I install the drivers before using the card?

I have tyed everything so far on this URL

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11486582#post11486582

oldsoundguy
November 23rd, 2011, 01:40 AM
I recently bought a GTX 550 ti graphics card. the user manual said to install drivers after putting the card in my computer. when I try to boot, it opens ubuntu as if it were in terminal. should I install the drivers before using the card?

The drivers that came on your install disk are for WINDOWS ONLY.

Have had a lot of luck just shutting down, put the card in, and turn it on in Linux. Sometimes you have to install the restricted driver, but your system will let you know that. It SHOULD work with the default driver system.

david476
November 23rd, 2011, 02:09 AM
I have already tried restarting, the drivers I was talking about were the ones provided for download on nvidia's website

papibe
November 23rd, 2011, 04:47 AM
Hi david476.

I would advice you to uninstall the driver that you got from the Nvidia site, remove your Xorg config file and restart.

Then install the Nvidia driver that has been tested for your version of Ubuntu in 'Additional Drivers'.

Tell us if you need more help with that.
Regards.

rectec794613
November 23rd, 2011, 04:50 AM
Hi david476.

I would advice you to uninstall the driver that you got from the Nvidia site, remove your Xorg config file and restart.

Then install the Nvidia driver that has been tested for your version of Ubuntu in 'Additional Drivers'.

Tell us if you need more help with that.
Regards.

To uninstall the Nvidia site-provided driver, rerun the installer and follow the prompts. To remove the config file, open a terminal and enter:
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Restart

Then, you could try installing nvidia-current, the standard driver for GeForce cards series 6 and up. (Although sometimes newer cards can have bad support.

GPUs such as GeForce series 6 or newer are supported.
Start a terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
Enter your password and let it install. I would restart afterwards, so you can use the driver.

Dblkickflip720
November 23rd, 2011, 05:03 AM
To uninstall the Nvidia site-provided driver, rerun the installer and follow the prompts. To remove the config file, open a terminal and enter:
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.confRestart

Then, you could try installing nvidia-current, the standard driver for GeForce cards series 6 and up. (Although sometimes newer cards can have bad support.

Start a terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-currentEnter your password and let it install. I would restart afterwards, so you can use the driver.

Im having the same problem, and I tried to install nvidia-current and got this

[sudo] password for david:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
nvidia-current
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 247 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/55.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 170 MB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 143108 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nvidia-current (from .../nvidia-current_280.13-0ubuntu6_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-current_280.13-0ubuntu6_amd64.deb (--unpack):
corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-current_280.13-0ubuntu6_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
david@david-A770E3:~$

Any idea what could be wrong? I am trying to install the driver for my nvidia gtx 560 ti

rectec794613
November 23rd, 2011, 05:47 AM
Im having the same problem, and I tried to install nvidia-current and got this

[sudo] password for david:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
nvidia-current
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 247 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/55.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 170 MB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 143108 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nvidia-current (from .../nvidia-current_280.13-0ubuntu6_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-current_280.13-0ubuntu6_amd64.deb (--unpack):
corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-current_280.13-0ubuntu6_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
david@david-A770E3:~$

Any idea what could be wrong? I am trying to install the driver for my nvidia gtx 560 ti

Looks like the package is corrupted. Try again and see if it works. If not, you can go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/, scroll down to search, select your Ubuntu version from the menu and download nvidia-current from the site. If that doesn't work, it could be a bad internet connection, resulting in lost packets. Or it could be on their side.

david476
November 24th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I tried this two times and got the same result. It cannot find xorg.conf or download nvidia-current. I cannot easily post the code because as I stated earlier Ubuntu opens like a giant terminal window in black and white

david476
November 26th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I'm making a new post for this issue.

searchfgold6789
November 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hrm. You should try:
sudo apt-get cleanthen try
sudo apt-get install nvidia-currentagain.

david476
December 1st, 2011, 01:05 AM
same thing, it says it cannot find some of the archives after it doesn't do anything for your first command (after I type my password).

MrSpike16
December 1st, 2011, 11:33 PM
What release of Ubuntu are you using (sorry if I missed it)?.
Ubuntu 10.04 (and also 10.10 I believe) doesn't have Nvidia drivers for our cards (I have the GTX 560 Ti).

To install the driver, I used the X-swat repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings

If you have Ubuntu 11.04 or 11.10, you can still use the above too.

MrSpike16
December 1st, 2011, 11:49 PM
Couldn't put another code box in my message above without losing the first one so created a 2nd message.

If you are using Ubuntu 11.04 or 11.10 you could try:

sudo apt-get update

The first command will re-sync your package lists to the repositories
if this is the problem.

bvt
January 5th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Finally got my GTX 550 TI working using Mr. Spike's repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x information. It was pretty easy on my Ubuntu 11.10 machine (using Gnome shell thank you) with AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor. But on my machine using AMD X2 Dual Core, I had to use the 10.04LTS package. Never could get it to work with 11.10.

ataybuntu
March 7th, 2012, 12:06 AM
It is working very well with my ubuntu. I found this solution after trying many methodes:
A. IF INSTALLING from a Live-CD:
1- After seeing the first screen press F2, choose language, press F6 than edit the command line you will see .. replace th words (quiet) and (splash) by nomodeset
2- Choose with the arrow-Tabs (TRY UBUNTU)
3- the system will boot and you will get a desktop with low graphic resuliotion
4- install ubuntu from the GUI
5- when the install process is finished you will be asked if you want to reboot or continue trying ubuntu, choose to continue trying
6. You must now edit the installed system ... open the file manager and click on the harddisk symbol you think it is the root partion
7. open a terminal and give the command ls /media
8. you will see some numbers (the now given name of the partions you had mounted by clicking on the harddisk symbols)
9. search for the partion with the boot folder (ls /media/xyz* ls /media/123*)
10. for exampel: ls /media/222??* givs (boot) than try: sudo gedit /media/222*/boot/grub/grub.cfg in order to be able to edit the boot config file
11. If you get errors than try it with: sudo nano /media/222*/boot/grub/grub.cfg
12 search the menuentery :
menuentry 'Ubuntu, Linux 3.0.0-12-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
insmod part_gpt
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,gpt1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 48f5ba9f-9acf-4fa5-be34-ba3e38c5ec49
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic root=UUID=48f5ba9f-9acf-4fa5-be34-ba3e38c5ec49 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7

13 replace quiet and splash with nomodeset
12 save the file (if using nano ctl-Tab and O)
14 reboot - (still having low reolution)
15 update your system (in terminal: sudo apt-get upgrade)
16 be sure that the kernel is updated (3.0.0.16)
17 sudo apt-get install build-essential kernel-headers
18 download the driver package from nvidia.com
19 reboot
20 open a terminal and cd to the folder where the *run-file has bin downloaded
21 chmod a+x *run
22 sudo service lightdm stop
23 login in the text consol
24 cd to the folder of the *run file
25 sudo ./*run answer always with "yes"
26 It is done, just type sudo reboot and you will have very smooth graphics with minimal CPU-load (under 3%)

there is no need to blacklist "nouveau", and it is not recommended. the drivers nvidia and nouveau seems to work fine together on this graphic card. Blacklisting "nouveau" caused another firmwaremodules not to load. I noticed higher CPU-Load (7%) and longer boot time if "nouveau" is blacklisted