PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What version of Ubuntu is easiest to get running?

pixiq
November 23rd, 2011, 12:29 AM
I have been browsing the Ubuntu Forums. It seems hard to get Ubuntu running. Many people get stuck during or after installation. Some of them can solve it with help from you. So I'm looking forward to some good tips :-)

What version of Ubuntu is easiest to get running?
What is easier, install from CD or USB?
Where can I get the best instructions?

collisionystm
November 23rd, 2011, 12:37 AM
I have been browsing the Ubuntu Forums. It seems hard to get Ubuntu running. Many people get stuck during or after installation. Some of them can solve it with help from you. So I'm looking forward to some good tips :-)

Well.... what model computer do you have?

11.10 has problems with some ATI and nvidia graphics cards when you try to install it

10.04 works with everything but still has the occasional sound card/ wireless issue.

So.. what model is your computer???

pixiq
November 23rd, 2011, 12:42 AM
desktop
amd athlon 64 x2 4400+
2 GB RAM
nvidia grapic chip
wired internet
320 GB hard drive

laptop
ibm thinkpad t41
1 GB RAM
64? MB graphic chip (from memory)
wired and wireless LAN
60 GB(?) hard drive

collisionystm
November 23rd, 2011, 12:44 AM
desktop
amd athlon 64 x2 4400+
2 GB RAM
nvidia grapic chip
wired internet
320 GB hard drive

laptop
ibm thinkpad t41
1 GB RAM
64? MB graphic chip (from memory)
wired and wireless LAN
60 GB(?) hard drive

Welll....................

Take a look at all the versions and choose what interface you want

Unity, Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE ..etc.

Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu

Download a version ( 64 bit ) and run a live cd. See if you like it. If 11.10 does not work, try out 10.04 LTS. The LTS version is Long Term Support and it just means Ubuntu will provide security updates until its EOL in 2013

collisionystm
November 23rd, 2011, 12:45 AM
Its really not hard to get Ubuntu running if you have hardware it already works with lol. I am sure you will be fine.

pixiq
November 23rd, 2011, 12:53 AM
Its really not hard to get Ubuntu running if you have hardware it already works with lol. I am sure you will be fine.
Thank you for the two replies :-)

I will read about the different versions and starting trying. But I guess the answer was for the desktop. I think the laptop has only 32-bit processing. What do you suggest for that one?

collisionystm
November 23rd, 2011, 01:14 AM
Thank you for the two replies :-)

I will read about the different versions and starting trying. But I guess the answer was for the desktop. I think the laptop has only 32-bit processing. What do you suggest for that one?

Same thing... just do 32 bit version :)

I wont suggest a specific version because you should try them all and see which one you like

Good luck!

pixiq
November 23rd, 2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks again,

Now to the big trial and error session...

sammiev
November 23rd, 2011, 01:43 AM
If you have a few cd's or a usb stick then you can try different versions and boot from cd or usb to see if all your equipment works before you install. :)

pixiq
November 23rd, 2011, 01:52 AM
If you have a few cd's or a usb stick then you can try different versions and boot from cd or usb to see if all your equipment works before you install. :)
yes, I will

pixiq
November 23rd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Hello everybody

I saw somewhere that the LTS version is good for computers that are not brand new and that it is very stable (recommended for companies). Both computers run well with Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx 32-bit (i686). Even the WLAN works. It looks the same when I run the desktop with Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx 64-bit (amd). What is the difference?

I might try also the new version, but unless it is much better I'll stick with Ubuntu 10.04. (Only testing live so far)

Thanks a lot :KS

mastablasta
November 23rd, 2011, 10:33 AM
64 bit version (AMD64) runs only on 64bit processor utilizing their full processing power. the difference becomes noticable if oyu add a bit more ram to the system.
32 bit verison runs on older 32bit porcessors as well as on new 64 bit ones.

New version of Ubuntu has Unity interface and is very much different than 10.04 LTS. next LTS comes out next year in April (12.04) and will be supported for 5 years.

Give them a all a spin. generaly the LTS should have more bugs fixed by now, but if you have newer hardware you might be better of using newer version. also newer version has more new porgrammes out of the box (you can install them to LTS too though).

as far as the support goes it's more ment for business (and if you buy their support service). as for the system support there really isn't much difference. for example due to a bug my sound card didn't work propperly in 10.04. bug was filed but not fixed for that verison. so i switched to 10.10 where this bug is not present.

you might also want to explore other options Xubuntu (much lighter on resources usage than default Ubuntu), Kubuntu (using KDE that looks and operates like Windows), Lubuntu (looks kind of like windows 98 with modern programmes and is very very light on system resources usage=very good for 8-10 years old computers).

sure if 10.04 works fine stick with it. i did, but my computer later became slow (very very old). it's just you should know that when you will upgrade to new LTS or a bit later the interface will be totally different.

mörgæs
November 23rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
You can use any of the supported releases:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Version_timeline

pixiq
November 24th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks again folks for all the nice tips!

I have tried Ubuntu 11.10. It's OK on the desktop computer: icons instead of menus (until you start programs). It feels like a mobile phone. I have seen something similar on a touch screen computer or was it a netbook? Probably good if you have no mouse and use your index finger on the screen.

But after all I want the same version (10.04) on both computers at least until I get more used to Ubuntu. And when I get curious or feel that the laptop is too slow I will try Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

collisionystm
November 24th, 2011, 04:45 PM

I have tried Ubuntu 11.10. It's OK on the desktop computer: icons instead of menus (until you start programs). It feels like a mobile phone. I have seen something similar on a touch screen computer or was it a netbook? Probably good if you have no mouse and use your index finger on the screen.

But after all I want the same version (10.04) on both computers at least until I get more used to Ubuntu. And when I get curious or feel that the laptop is too slow I will try Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Kubuntu!

skit85
November 24th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Kubuntu!

Kubuntu for president!!!!!!!!

WasMeHere
November 24th, 2011, 07:14 PM
And when I get curious or feel that the laptop is too slow I will try Xubuntu and Lubuntu orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Kubuntu
miauuuuuuuuubuntu ;-)

pixiq
November 24th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Ok, I'll try Kubuntu too, but not until I get curious :KS

T.exe
November 24th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Had a terrible time with Unity crashes and freezes!
Done with Unity and Gnome... Welcome KDE... and loving it!!!!!

pixiq
December 8th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Now I am running a live session of Kubuntu. The feeling is very different. It looks nice but strange: hovering instead of single click, single click instead of double click, and many different applications. The learning curve feels steeper than with the other [klx]ubuntu flavours.

1. What about the transparent plate on the desktop? See the attachment! It seems like the icons of the desktop are there instead of on the background itself. I had a toolbar appear at the right edge of it (the transparent plate). When I tried to close the toolbar, the whole thing disappeared. I browsed the help texts, but could not find anything about it. What is the name of the transparent plate? How can I restart it?

2. How can I find a list of the shortcut key bindings? And how can I add some more (for example to start the command line terminal?

*. Please suggest a good tutorial about Kubuntu!

collisionystm
December 8th, 2011, 03:38 PM
The window on the desktop is a desktop 'plasma widget'

if you right click on anywhere you can add / remove widgets. you get the 'toolbar thing' because the widgets are not locked into place

if you right click anywhere you can choose to lock the widgets and then you wont see the tool bar any more. The tool bar just allows you to move, resize, rotate...etc.

pixiq
December 8th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll try :-)

pixiq
December 9th, 2011, 10:51 AM
2. How can I find a list of the shortcut key bindings? And how can I add some more (for example to start the command line terminal?

*. Please suggest a good tutorial about Kubuntu!I have found information about key bindings :-)

But I have only found some rather limited tutorials (the best ones searching for KDE, not Kubuntu). Any suggestion?

bluexrider
December 9th, 2011, 11:14 AM

this is a *buntu version but I like Pinguy 11.04 or Mint 11 seem stable and wifi works out of the box plus install all the codecs needed and flash too.

s9032g@comcast.net
December 9th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I suspect that you have the impression of a lot of installation problems based on reading the forum section based on those problems i.e. everyone originating a thread there has a problem. I have been with Ubuntu since 8.04 and have done every available upgrade with no problems of any consequence. I suggest that the vast majority of installers have no problem, and so, do not post threads.

Just do it already!:)

oldos2er
December 9th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I have found information about key bindings :-)

But I have only found some rather limited tutorials (the best ones searching for KDE, not Kubuntu). Any suggestion?

Have you found http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials ? I'd start there. Also see http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?board=13.0

WasMeHere
December 9th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Read the manual, tutorial etc ... but try, try, try, and test, test, test it's not dangerous ;-)

pixiq
December 10th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Have you found http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials ? I'd start there. Also see http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?board=13.0

Thank you, Ann

And thanks to all of you :KS for making me go on with these new things. I start enjoying Kubuntu now, and I won't forget about Ubuntu with Unity.

oldos2er
December 10th, 2011, 04:53 PM
You're welcome! Hope you enjoy Kubuntu.