PDA

View Full Version : Ask Ubuntu?

blueridgedog
November 22nd, 2011, 11:46 PM
What is this?

http://askubuntu.com/

Brushstroke
November 22nd, 2011, 11:58 PM
This is a collaboratively edited question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Got a question about the site itself? meta is the place to talk about things like what questions are appropriate, what tags we should use, etc.

Says on the site on the right side.

blueridgedog
November 23rd, 2011, 12:05 AM
My question was more to the issue of how it fits in with the support structure we have created. I have looked at the site and can tell what it portends to be.

Paqman
November 23rd, 2011, 12:32 AM
Askubuntu is excellent for answering any specific technical questions you might have, but it's not so good for discussion. If you have a specific question and want a fast, accurate answer then go to Askubuntu, if you want to discuss something at more length, do it here.

ajgreeny
November 23rd, 2011, 12:40 AM
My question was more to the issue of how it fits in with the support structure we have created. I have looked at the site and can tell what it portends to be.
Who is, or are, the "we" you speak of? I don't think the site has any real connection to ubuntuforums, if that is what you are asking. It appears to be one of the many sites available for Ubuntu, mainly as a result of Ubuntu being the most used Linux distro, rather like http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/

Docaltmed
November 23rd, 2011, 01:13 AM
Who is, or are, the "we" you speak of?

I think his we is the collective we of this forum community, who share one another's knowledge to the benefit of all.

Why, I myself, just a few minutes ago, left confusing and incomplete instructions on fixing up printer driver file problems. Fortunately for any poor soul who stumbles across my post, I also included a link to the words of someone who actually knows what the heck he's talking about.

Nonetheless, we all do our best, don't we?

haqking
November 23rd, 2011, 01:30 AM
What is this?

http://askubuntu.com/

it is a link to a website which has a link to a FAQ and a link to ABOUT which explains what it is and for in the top right corner.

from its About:

This is a free, community driven Q&A for Ubuntu users and developers. It is a part of the Stack Exchange network of Q&A websites, and it was created through the open democratic process defined at Stack Exchange Area 51.

cariboo
November 23rd, 2011, 04:47 AM
Ask Ubuntu is a great place to get answers to specific questions, it is heavily moderated, though, so it really ins't a place that you would go to to do any socializing.

vasa1
November 23rd, 2011, 07:07 AM
Ask Ubuntu is a great place to get answers to specific questions, it is heavily moderated, though, so it really ins't a place that you would go to to do any socializing.

Not only moderated heavily but posts there can also get voted down :(

Getting used to the format also takes a bit of time.

grahammechanical
November 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM
From some of the answers I see on Askubuntu it seems to me that some of those involved with Ubuntu development are posting on that site.

I see questions like "will we get this" or "why don't we have that," and I think 'Oh no, not another stupid question that no one knows the answer to' and then I am surprised that someone does know the answer and they give it. They could only know the answer by having closer contact with the Ubuntu development community.

It is not a site where you can post "this is broke" and then get a conversation where you slowly respond to questions for more information and then get your hand held as you try out the advice. Which is what happens here.

On Askubuntu you are supposed to search for answers to your question before you ask it. If the question has already been asked before then your question will be closed. That does not happen here.

No matter how many times someone says "my wireless is broke," someone will try to help them, even though someone else had posted the same problem a few hours before. Oh, that reminds me, this is the second time this question has been asked and here we are answering it again. This is one of the things I like about Ubuntu Community forum. I think.

Askubuntu is not a support forum and both sites are not support help desks.

Regards.

castrojo
November 23rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
It is not a site where you can post "this is broke" and then get a conversation where you slowly respond to questions for more information and then get your hand held as you try out the advice. Which is what happens here.

Sure it is, you just need to update the question with new information.

On Askubuntu you are supposed to search for answers to your question before you ask it. If the question has already been asked before then your question will be closed. That does not happen here.

This is actually a good thing and it helps the duplicate detection system get better.

No matter how many times someone says "my wireless is broke," someone will try to help them, even though someone else had posted the same problem a few hours before.

Right, and it's a wasted effort, why do the same thing over and over again when you can just point people to the right solution based on their wireless card?

Oh, that reminds me, this is the second time this question has been asked and here we are answering it again. This is one of the things I like about Ubuntu Community forum.

I am having deja vu too.

blueridgedog
November 23rd, 2011, 05:08 PM
The main reason I asked, was that I saw it promoted during a 11.10 install. I was surprised that it was given the official nod rather than the forums here.

castrojo
November 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
The main reason I asked, was that I saw it promoted during a 11.10 install. I was surprised that it was given the official nod rather than the forums here.

The Forums are the official forums. AU isn't a forum, it's a Q+A site, more similar to launchpad answers than a forum.

philinux
November 23rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
The Forums are the official forums. AU isn't a forum, it's a Q+A site, more similar to launchpad answers than a forum.

Could I ask then why these forums are not promoted equally on the livecd?

Also the default firefox bookmarks could have links to both sites.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/602265
Bug from 6/July/2010. Hardly difficult to implement and it's still at wishlist although triaged.

blueridgedog
November 23rd, 2011, 07:13 PM

I guess that was what I was really getting at. I have not done an install in a long time and was surprised that the other avenue was given what appeared to be official recognition.

castrojo
November 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM

Did someone ask to put it in the slideshow?

You can file a bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu

Bug from 6/July/2010. Hardly difficult to implement and it's still at wishlist although triaged.

Submit a fix and I'll ask Chris to review it.

philinux
November 23rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
Did someone ask to put it in the slideshow?

You can file a bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu