PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Octave installation

Brasileiro
November 22nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
Hi

I'm trying to install Octave 3.4 in my Ubuntu, that already has Octave 3.2, and I simply can't get it. I would definitely appreciate a MUCH better user interface to do it. The installation is a pain. You can give the ' sudo apt-get install octave ' and the 3.2 version is there. Ok, I want the new version, how do I do it? (The free software guys complain why Bill Gates is a billionaire, well he made things easy to use and install...).

Thank you for anyone who can give me the appropriate directions to do it.

hansdown
November 23rd, 2011, 04:02 AM
Hi, Brasileiro.

3.4 can be found, here.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Compilers/GNU-Octave-25375.shtml

Brasileiro
November 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Hi hansdown

Thank you, but my problem is the installation itself in Ubuntu. I already downloaded it, but there is no directions on how to install it. I have tried and got several error messages that soon after I learned was because of the headers. Ok, I did install the headers and things still didn't work. Octave is around since the mid 90's so I think some investment in a better user friendly environment would be welcomed. My focus is design, not computer system bug fix. Right now I'm using Scilab that easily works. There is also Sage, that I didn't try, but also there some installations issues, as well as is based on Python that I'm not familiar at the moment.

Again thank you, and lets see if someone give us the appropriate directions.

rewyllys
November 23rd, 2011, 05:39 PM
Hi hansdown

Thank you, but my problem is the installation itself in Ubuntu. I already downloaded it, but there is no directions on how to install it. I have tried and got several error messages that soon after I learned was because of the headers. Ok, I did install the headers and things still didn't work. Octave is around since the mid 90's so I think some investment in a better user friendly environment would be welcomed. My focus is design, not computer system bug fix. Right now I'm using Scilab that easily works. There is also Sage, that I didn't try, but also there some installations issues, as well as is based on Python that I'm not familiar at the moment.

Again thank you, and lets see if someone give us the appropriate directions.
Download the Octave file, octave-3.4.3.tar.bz. Right-click on it and choose the Archive Manager to open it and extract the files--preferably to a new folder, which Archive Manager offers you the chance to set up.

After the files have been extracted, click on the files named INSTALL and INSTALL.OCTAVE, and read the detailed instructions therein.

Brasileiro
November 24th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Hi rewyllys

I did check your instructions, really thank you, but at this time, due to my busy schedule and Scilab as solution I didn't try the installation. My focus is system design, not Ubuntu intricacies. I did solve some other things in Ubuntu, that I shared in this forum, that is a nice thing to do when you have time, that is not my case now. Definitely Linux loose while trying to make users life easy. Octave may also loose unless provide over the average numeric packages to justify installation issues, in other words, might become a niche rather then popular.

Anyway, again thank you and I may eventually try the installation