PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How to remove bottom panel in Gnome 3.2

cortman
November 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
How can I remove the bottom panel in Gnome 3.2? It autohides, yes, but I really never use it and it interferes with my wonderful Docky when it's up. Is there some way to remove it?
Thanks!

pastalavista
November 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
Just right-click on the panel and delete (or remove... I forget). If you want it back, right-click the top panel and add new panel.

cortman
November 22nd, 2011, 08:07 PM
Just right-click on the panel and delete (or remove... I forget). If you want it back, right-click the top panel and add new panel.

This is Gnome 3.2, not Gnome 2.

jimmydean886-2
November 22nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
Because you're using GNOME3 Shell, you can't manipulate the panels. If you want to run docky, I'd suggest that you run GNOME classic because it has everything almost exactly the way GNOME 2 had it all, except for the fact that you need to hold the "alt" or "Super+alt" keys down while you are right clicking on an applet to use its movement and add/remove functions.

cortman
November 22nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Actually you can to a certain extent manipulate panels in 3.2, using javascript extensions or editing the gnome-shell.css file. I've used Gnome 2 for years and have made the switch to Gnome 3.2 and am liking it, so going back to 2 isn't what I'm after. I'd like to know if there is an extension available to suppress the bottom panel, or which block of code in the shell file to remove.