PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] First boot from mini.iso

Ritmo2k
November 22nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Why does the first boot after installing with the mini.iso leave you at a terminal with a blinking cursor, its not until you switch to tty1 you get a login prompt?

Thanks

jerrrys
November 23rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
If you expect to see gnome-terminal, you must install it:

sudo apt-get install lightdm gnome-session-fallback gnome-terminal

Ritmo2k
November 28th, 2011, 06:58 AM
If you had no intention of installing a desktop on the server, you are forced to always switch tty after it boots.

How do you change the final tty it finishes booting to?

Thanks

jerrrys
November 28th, 2011, 06:19 PM
ubuntu-standard

I ran this package once without any GUI installed and if I remember right, it gives a terminal experience with a UI mix. May want to try it.

gmargo
November 28th, 2011, 07:20 PM
How do you change the final tty it finishes booting to?

Good question, and I want the answer too.

Here's an information bit: If you install the "server" edition, then the tty starts up on 1 like it should. So we should be able to figure out the difference.

gmargo
November 28th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I love virtual machines.

I installed two new systems, side by side. One from mini.iso, one from the server .iso.

Here's the difference, from /proc/cmdline:

The mini.iso install has "splash quiet vt.handoff=7" appended to the boot parameters, where the server install does not. Sounds like that "vt.handoff" is the culprit.

Now see the file /etc/grub.d/10_linux. It adds "vt.handoff=7" if the "splash" parameter is present.

So go and edit /etc/default/grub.
Remove "splash quiet" from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT string so it is empty:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
And run "update-grub". Then reboot happily onto the default tty1.

Ritmo2k
November 29th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Nice dude!