PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop cube, gnome classic in 11.10

fleminwr
November 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Hi, I just upgraded from 11.10 from 10.10. The unity/launchpad thing isn't my thing so I'm trying to get "gnome classic" to work. However, I cannot get desktop cube to work in gnome classic (it does work in Unity though, albeit with the annoying flicker).

The thing I cannot figure out, is desktop cube even available for gnome classic? Is there some trick necessary to enable it that I'm missing? When I fire up CCSM it just seems like I'm banging buttons, nothing really happens.

Thanks.

stinkeye
November 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Just replace gnome classic's window manager, metacity with compiz
ie

compiz --replace
and disable the unity plugin in ccsm.

mikewhatever
November 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Gnome Classic runs Metacity as a window manager. You could try switching to Compiz by running 'compiz --replace'. I've no idea it it's going to work though.

jimmydean886-2
November 22nd, 2011, 09:37 PM
That fix does work.

Just add that to your startup applications, and make sure that the Unity plugin isn't active. Here's how to check:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Launch the compiz config settings manager after running this code (which installs it) and uncheck the "ubuntu unity plugin" item if it is checked.

fleminwr
November 23rd, 2011, 01:15 AM
That was easy! Worked like a charm.

Thank you very much for the replies.

fleminwr
November 23rd, 2011, 04:46 AM
maybe I spoke too soon.

How do I get compiz to load automatically each time I log in?

Also, when I use the compiz --replace command, the process in the terminal hangs, usually not in the same place. I get some warning messages, such as:

compiz (core) - Warn: no exact match for ConfigureNotify on 0x3200090!
. . . .
compiz (core) - Warn: this should never happen. you should probably file a bug about this.

every once in a while I can get compiz to start if I kill the terminal session.

I don't think it's supposed to work this way, any suggestions are appreciated.