PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [x64] upgrade failed 11.04 x64 => 11.10 on new Dell Inspiron 14z

dieash
November 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade Ubuntu 11.04 (x64) on my new Dell Inspiron 14z (11.04 was pre-installed on the laptop). In Update Manager window I can see: "new Ubuntu 11.10 release is available". But after pressing the button [Upgrade] the following dialog with error will be displayed:

Authentication failed
Authenticating the upgrade failed. There may be a problem with the network or with the server.

I believe, that's is NOT a problem with the server accessibility, because I can ping it and view content in the browser. In the tab "Other Software" there are 2 dell lines: "http://dell.archive.canonical.com/updates/ natty-dell public"

What's wrong and how I can fix it?
Thank you!

zvacet
November 22nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Try again to upgrade from update manager and see if it work.

dieash
November 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgradeTry again to upgrade from update manager and see if it work.

Sorry, pal. It's totally useless for my case, because I has already upgrade all possible packages before make update of OS.

Here is my brute-force solution for the problem:

prepare CD or USB with 11.10 x64 installation
reboot laptop, press F12 (boot menu) and choose appropriate menu item
go through standard installation process (but choose upgrade 11.04 to 11.10 in the beginning)

After all I got 11.10 x64 on Inspiron 14z. At the first look, everything is all right (all devices work properly).

But under 11.04 battery lifetime was approximately 6-7 hours (in light usage-mode - web-serfing via wifi). Under 11.10 -- life-time dramatically decreased to 3-4 hours. I don't know which kind of magic has been used during preparation of 11.04-build in Dell, but I want the same thing under 11.10 :) I am already wrote on Dell forum about this issue. May be I get answer from Dell.

BTW, I bought Inspiron 14z on the last week and it has preinstalled ubuntu 11.04 x64. Yesterday I upgrade it to 11.10 x64. But on http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/make/Dell only x32-versions have been certified. How it's possible? (may be you know answer)

Thanks!