PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 upgrade failure

jlh68
November 22nd, 2011, 02:34 AM
I tried to upgrade my Netbook from 10.04LTS to 11.10. I have separate partitions for /, /home, swap, /tmp. I installed, and when I restarted I got the following message: the symbol 'grub_xputs' not found, next line is "grub rescue>".

So how do I fix the problem? I am using an USB flash drive as the installation device (no optical drive).

What happened to the grub?

Quackers
November 22nd, 2011, 03:24 AM
You need to re-install grub. The link below shows you how.
It may be necessary to purge grub then re-install it, but try the quicker method first. Both are explained here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099

jlh68
November 22nd, 2011, 08:28 PM
I have tried to install 11.10 six times without any luck. I even repartitioned my whole hard drive and did a clean install and still it doesn't work. I sure wish I had stuck with 10.04LTS as it worked.

I keep getting messages about running out of space on the hard drive. I have a 18GB "/" partition, 3.75GB swap partition, a 500MB "/boot" partition and about 95GB in the "/home" partition.

Ubuntu should have stuck with what works instead of this unity stuff. I don't even have a shut down button any more. I have to hold down the on-off switch to shut down. That is unsatisfactory. Unity is junk in my opinion until someone can prove to me different.

jlh68
November 25th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I formatted my USB flash drive and used "Startup Disk Creator" again just to make sure I had a good USB boot stick. I also formatted my partitions so they would be "clean" also.

I was able to install 11.10 and I got it to work.

Still not sure about Unity. AI added Cairo-dock which gives me a more traditional desktop operation.

witeshark17
November 25th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Glad to see that you got it sorted. :popcorn:

jlh68
December 9th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I just thought that I should report this as Solved.
What I did is:

Downloaded fresh ISO
Cleared USB flash drive of all files
Used "Startup Disk Creator" to make a new USB flash drive containing the newly downloaded ISO
Using the USB drive installed 11.10 ISO onto Netbook
Restarted computer and install had correctly worked