PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Ubuntu 11.10 failed to boot

machdohvah
November 22nd, 2011, 01:26 AM
Hello all... So here is my story.

I finally decided to try 11.04 and it installed just fine and I was willing to live with the differences that I complained about earlier for 10.10 is going bye bye in April 2012.

Then I upgraded to 11.10... There were many things that I need to mention to the ptogrammers...

1. There were many warnings that were in the category of "This process cannot run for a dependency process has not been installed". This means that the installation steps were in the wrong order.

2. I also noticed that there were several processes that duplicated each other. Sloppy!

3. Then 11.10 failed to re-boot. I had to go on to a cold boot.

4. Immediately there was a message "Waiting for network configuration". That timed out.

5. Then it failed to continue. Therefore it failed to cold boot.

I would like to note that I finally was able to boot on the 1st partition where my DOS 6.20 resides. THANK YOU!

So, I re-installed 11.04 only to find that it also FAILED TO BOOT.

I had to install 10.10 and erase the partition in the process. This succeeded and is the only reason I am able to report all of this on-line.

PS. I wish there was a way to erase the grub information on a disk with no partitions with a history of having GRUB there. Currently, I cannot find a way to do that so that the HD may be used with Systems that need that to be cleaned off such as Windows 98, and DOS 6.20

PPS: I again installed 11.04 cleanly and found the classic login which solved all of my previous objections, but I still question 11.10 as above.