PDA

View Full Version : Homo sapiens + 1 = ?

t0p
November 21st, 2011, 10:50 PM
Homo sapiens ("thinking human") is a term for modern human beings. Other (now extinct) members of the homo genus include homo erectus and homo neanderthalensis.

When we have evolved enough to be considered a new species of the homo genus, what would be an apt term for the "posthumans"? Marvel Comics suggested "homo superior", but I don't think that fits the general pattern. Anyone got any ideas? Cheers.

cgroza
November 21st, 2011, 10:52 PM
Just add another sapiens at the end. Just the way there is Home Sapiens and Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
So if we get to evolve into another species we would be Home Sapiens Sapiens Sapiens.

Gremlinzzz
November 21st, 2011, 11:04 PM
To be human you have to be humane from what i been observing were not very human. I would suggest "Homo Evil Monkey":popcorn:

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 21st, 2011, 11:09 PM
homo megalomanialensis

or

homo megalomanius

:lolflag:

forrestcupp
November 21st, 2011, 11:19 PM
Devolution is more likely.

Fedz
November 21st, 2011, 11:24 PM
Homo-DestroyusTheWorldus :p

meh_phistopheles
November 21st, 2011, 11:25 PM
homo cyborg. then we can use the catch phrase from terminator 2: "this time... it's personal"

Telengard C64
November 21st, 2011, 11:34 PM
I would suggest "Homo Evil Monkey":popcorn:

^this

or maybe homo sapiens ++

3Miro
November 21st, 2011, 11:39 PM
Considering how none of us can ever evolve into anything other than what we are and how our children cannot be by definition anything different (X-Men isn't proper representation of Evolution), then I don't see why we should bother about this question. Not that it isn't interesting, just that it will never come up in practice.

thatguruguy
November 21st, 2011, 11:57 PM
Considering how none of us can ever evolve into anything other than what we are and how our children cannot be by definition anything different (X-Men isn't proper representation of Evolution), then I don't see why we should bother about this question. Not that it isn't interesting, just that it will never come up in practice.

Interesting. Are you asserting that all evolution has ceased?

haqking
November 22nd, 2011, 12:03 AM

I can think of a few areas online and people i know where it never started let alone ceased ;-)

3Miro
November 22nd, 2011, 12:14 AM

No! Not by a long shot.

Many people think that Evolution is something that can happen to them in their life-time, however, the random variation only applies once to the new born (or newly conceived) children. Your DNA doesn't change throughout your life.

Then the difference from a parent to a kid is only small, never as drastic as what you see in X-Men. It takes many generations before natural selection "selects" some trait and pushes the species in one direction or another. Ultimately there is virtually no difference from one generation to the next and you can get a difference only if you count several generations. In the case of Humans this can be several hundred generations, and human life just doesn't span that much.

I can look back in time to 100,000 years and only then can I say that my ancestor isn't homo sapiens. Similarly, only in 100,000 years can one of my descendants claim that he/she is different form me (100,000 year is approximate of course, I am not sure what the exact numbers would be, just that they are huge). If you look back 6000 years, then people were people and 6000 years from now, people will still be the same people (unless we use artificial genetic engineering, but that is sci-fi). Hence we will never have to worry about a different name for our species.

kaldor
November 22nd, 2011, 12:20 AM
Many people think that Evolution is something that can happen to them in their life-time, however, the random variation only applies once to the new born (or newly conceived) children. Your DNA doesn't change throughout your life.

And this is why so many people disagree with it without understanding.

3Miro
November 22nd, 2011, 12:27 AM
And this is why so many people disagree with it without understanding.

You are right. I really like the X-Men movies, but I don't like how they put wrong ideas in people's heads. Real Evolution would make for a really boring movie, but wrong Evolution just confuses people. I wish fewer people took their science from Hollywood.

undecim
November 22nd, 2011, 12:54 AM

If you look at completely short term, then yes, evolution is interesting, but worthless. For those looking at the world beyond their lifetimes, it's a very important concept. If we could do something (that is economically feasible) today that would make humanity 200 years from now considerably better, why wouldn't we?

undecim
November 22nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
Just add another sapiens at the end. Just the way there is Home Sapiens and Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
So if we get to evolve into another species we would be Home Sapiens Sapiens Sapiens.

That would work.

And then we could just generalize it to Homo Sapi n+1

cgroza
November 22nd, 2011, 02:24 AM
That would work.

And then we could just generalize it to Homo Sapi n+1

Assuming the theory of Evolution is true, and that we do not evolve at the same pace as Firefox releases, I think people have enough time to figure out a more inspiring and glorious name for a species. :D

lisati
November 22nd, 2011, 02:30 AM
Perhaps it has already happened in the form "homo pebkac." :D

kaldor
November 22nd, 2011, 02:42 AM
If you look at completely short term, then yes, evolution is interesting, but worthless. For those looking at the world beyond their lifetimes, it's a very important concept. If we could do something (that is economically feasible) today that would make humanity 200 years from now considerably better, why wouldn't we?

Even 200 years isn't enough for notable evolutionary changes in humans. 200 years is only a small number of generations.

KiwiNZ
November 22nd, 2011, 03:10 AM
Homo-Polluitur

3Miro
November 22nd, 2011, 03:36 AM
Homo-Polluitur

This focuses way too much on only one aspect of humanity.

Homo-parazitus or simply Homo-stupidus would be more appropriate.

ubupirate
November 22nd, 2011, 03:42 AM
When we have evolved enough to be considered a new species

The human race will be extinct before that ever happens.

KiwiNZ
November 22nd, 2011, 04:08 AM
I decided to change my suggestion to.....

Homo-ignore omnes mercatores caligo ac lacus

IWantFroyo
November 22nd, 2011, 04:16 AM
Homo urbanus? I remember reading a statistic about how the majority of people live in cities now.

Telengard C64
November 22nd, 2011, 04:16 AM
As long as we're just making stuff up ...

Evolution is a satanic conspiracy. It all started with that damn serpent's apple.

IWantFroyo
November 22nd, 2011, 04:28 AM
On a more lighthearted note-
Homo cake-is-lie-us

lisati
November 22nd, 2011, 04:49 AM

My latin is a bit very rusty, but I like the sound of that one!

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 22nd, 2011, 09:55 PM

Doesn't that only refer to a portion of the population rather than the species in total. :wink:

Skara Brae
November 22nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
When I read or hear the term "Homo Sapiens", then I always think: "Homo Sapiens Relativus". "Wise Man", relatively speaking.

There is not much "sapientia" in the human species, when I look at the state of the planet...

MG&TL
November 22nd, 2011, 10:19 PM
My latin is a bit very rusty, but I like the sound of that one!

+1. I think I'm the only kid in our education system still doing latin. :( I would be a shame if it dies out....

Serious suggestion: homo connectus-we are after all, in a connected society now. And therefore able to have this debate.

cgroza
November 22nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
The human race will be extinct before that ever happens.
And I should just believe it.

koenn
November 22nd, 2011, 10:28 PM
that damn serpent's apple.
Steve Jobs ?

StephanG
November 22nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
Someone explained earlier that Evolution is basically, a species changing over time as certain mutations that prove beneficial survive better than others.

Basically, evolution is driven by natural selection.

But, have we not effectively killed off natural selection? We as the dominant species wipes out large forests and the creatures in them, to raise cows who quite frankly wouldn't last one round against any forest. And, we see the same effect in humans where as a community we band together to protect the weaker members of our society.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, I'm simply saying that the world isn't a "Dog eat dog" world anymore, and as a result I think the driving forces of evolution have been crippled. Nature doesn't "select" the strongest to survive anymore, we as humans choose who lives and who dies.

Just something to think about: If we as a human race decided tomorrow that brown dogs were the ugliest of all creatures. And pet stores only sold dogs with other fur colours... What do you think the average dog would look like twenty years from now?

haqking
November 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
+1. I think I'm the only kid in our education system still doing latin. :( I would be a shame if it dies out....

Serious suggestion: homo connectus-we are after all, in a connected society now. And therefore able to have this debate.

Latin will never die out, it is used globally to identify things negating the local common names which often change. Such as plants animals, constellations etc.

ursa major is ursa major, but depending where you are in the world the plough is not always the plough, sometimes it is karlsvogna, big dipper, saucepan etc. (though the plough/big dipper is not ursa major itself but part of it) but you get my point.

water moccasin or cottonmouth will always be = Agkistrodon piscivorus

moorhead98
November 22nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
Duo Sapiens?

MG&TL
November 22nd, 2011, 11:16 PM
Latin will never die out, it is used globally to identify things negating the local common names which often change. Such as plants animals, constellations etc.

ursa major is ursa major, but depending where you are in the world the plough is not always the plough, sometimes it is karlsvogna, big dipper, saucepan etc. (though the plough/big dipper is not ursa major itself but part of it) but you get my point.

water moccasin or cottonmouth will always be = Agkistrodon piscivorus

Correction: people who know the origins of such words may become drastically fewer in number. Happy? :)

koenn
November 22nd, 2011, 11:28 PM
Someone explained earlier that Evolution is basically, a species changing over time as certain mutations that prove beneficial survive better than others.

Basically, evolution is driven by natural selection.

But, have we not effectively killed off natural selection?
[...]
The part you've missed is " ... mutations that prove beneficial in given circumstances".

as the circumstances change, what's beneficial today maybe wasn't ages ago, and what was beneficial then may well be irrelevant today.
But the simple mechanism of selection favoring those better adapted to the prevalent circumstances, doesn't change.

haqking
November 22nd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Correction: people who know the origins of such words may become drastically fewer in number. Happy? :)

very true, the more i actually use latin the more responses of "why dont you talk english or talk properly" i get, if and when i use latin rather than the person being interested or becoming informed they take it as condescension or superiority, oh well that is why i dont like people ;)

MG&TL
November 22nd, 2011, 11:40 PM
I'm just called a nerd, or even worse: "what's latin?". I hate people in real life too. :D

Paqman
November 23rd, 2011, 12:03 AM
But, have we not effectively killed off natural selection?

Not at all. It's still working hard. Sexual selection is very active, we're coded to find certain things attractive in our mates, and our genes make us choose who to breed with based on the same criteria that have existed for eons. What we do deal with less these days is selection due to predation, but there are still opportunities for environmental factors to kill us. Genes that make you too slow, too stupid or too ugly mean you're still less likely to have children than the genetically blessed.

satanselbow
November 23rd, 2011, 12:07 AM
Devolution is more likely.

That is such a good post and really did not get the recognition it deserved :KS:KS:KS:KS:KS