PDA

View Full Version : It is very hard to watch commercial DVD movies on Linux .Myth or reality ??

asifnaz
November 21st, 2011, 08:52 AM
I started using gnu/Linux from Ubuntu 10.04 . I have read so many people complaining it was very hard to watch a DVD on Linux .

I was very influenced by this and never tried to watch a DVD on Ubuntu (assuming it would require a lot of work )

I used windows for that purpose

Now I pop DVD in Ubuntu and, guess what..? I just opened VLC and
started watching the movie

from where this myth come..?

Elfy
November 21st, 2011, 09:03 AM
The past - where all myths start.

If it works now then that's good.

sanderd17
November 21st, 2011, 09:12 AM
It was a problem when the legal issues weren't clear. Now they allow you to download the necessary tools while installing Ubuntu (that makes the user responsible for any legal problems).

The last time I had a problem with playing commercial DVDs is probably back in 2008, maybe beginning 2009.

asifnaz
November 21st, 2011, 09:12 AM
The past - where all myths start.

If it works now then that's good.

I have read people lately complaining . Even I was suggested wired
steps when I post question how to watch commercial DVD on ubuntu

sffvba[e0rt
November 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
If you install the appropriate packages you won't face any issues. As a rule I always install "ubuntu-restricted-extras" right after install and never have any multimedia issues.

satanselbow
November 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM
Windows machines typically come with pre-installed DVD codecs as part of the OEM crapware... Linux / Ubuntu does not and does require a "manual" install of the required software as stated above - but not everybody knows that and therefore complains that Linux can't play DVDs...

If you clean installed Windows from genuine media it would not be able to play DVD either ;)

BrokenKingpin
November 21st, 2011, 03:45 PM
It works fine if you just to install the restricted drivers when installing Ubuntu. Before there wasn't this option in the installer, so you had to do it manually after the Ubuntu install.

So it was never really an issue, it was just one extra step you had to do manually.

craig10x
November 21st, 2011, 06:07 PM
aside from simply installing ubuntu restricted extras, all one need do is download the deb file for libdvdcss2 from the medibuntu website, and you can play ANY DVD including the commercial encrypted dvd discs....

and once you have added libdvdcss2, you can even rip (copy to copy) a dvd from a commercial disc and burn your own copy, using k3b the superb linux disc burner :)

sffvba[e0rt
November 21st, 2011, 06:20 PM
aside from simply installing ubuntu restricted extras, all one need do is download the deb file for libdvdcss2 from the medibuntu website, and you can play ANY DVD including the commercial encrypted dvd discs....

and once you have added libdvdcss2, you can even rip (copy to copy) a dvd from a commercial disc and burn your own copy, using k3b the superb linux disc burner :)

Odd... I just ripped two discs to my hard drive as a test (Nightwish and Leaves' Eyes that just arrived from Amazon) and without anything more than the standard restricted extras I watched and ripped them and I have to assume they have all the standard encryptions in place.

lifeboy
November 21st, 2011, 06:28 PM
from where this myth come..?

VLC changed a lot of things. Simply put, it provides almost all the codecs needed to run commercial DVDs all in a nice package and you can even steam it from VLC onto your network so other's can connect to the stream.

If you search for "install libdvdcss2" you'll see what the issue is and installed that will make the other media work with commercial DVD's too.

craig10x
November 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM
interesting, not found...

i just installed in libdvdcss2 from medibuntu's deb file because i assumed that it wouldn't work with commercial dvds otherwise since restricted extras doesn't include it in the package...

Sendo Eevpix
November 21st, 2011, 10:51 PM
It has never been hard.

Look at me I have a hard time working my Computer(With lack of common updates.. :( Like not automatically getting the Latest firefox[still on 3.6])

All that anyone has to do is use their movie player(Default or what you used), and just watch, even stuff you download is off the Interent all works fine.

Well Many Rumors like these(Based off friend) Just excuses not to even want to try all that Linux offers, and off of computer rivalry Microsoft(Like their paying Best Buy company to discourage you from using Linux). Though In general there are a lot of Ways for rumors like this to start. (Like my friends Rumor that Linux copies, and steals everything off of Windows)

t0p
November 21st, 2011, 11:07 PM
It's similar to the claim that you have to type mysterious lines of code into the console if you want to use Linux. A combination of historic issues and plain old FUD.

jockyburns
November 21st, 2011, 11:27 PM
When I first started using Ubuntu, 3 months ago, a mate at work said "Why would you use a Linux OS when you have to learn programming to use it?" :o:o:D:D:D:D:D

crjackson
November 21st, 2011, 11:38 PM
When I first started using Ubuntu, 3 months ago, a mate at work said "Why would you use a Linux OS when you have to learn programming to use it?" :o:o:D:D:D:D:D

I used to be annoyed by ignorance like that. Now I enjoy the chuckle it gives me.

sffvba[e0rt
November 22nd, 2011, 07:56 AM
I used to be annoyed by ignorance like that. Now I enjoy the chuckle it gives me.

At least they will think you have 1337 skills :p