PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] OEM Install

roajames
November 20th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Hi,
Back in october i posted looking for the oem install for 11.04 and was guided to downloading the alternate cd which i did.

Since then i am still unable to get this done since the alternate install for 11.04 does not have the option for oem install.

Any one have any ideas? :(

Thanks

WasMeHere
November 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hi roajames,

In order to help you, we need more details of what you need.

What do you want to do and how do you intend to use it? Are you sure that none of the existing iso-files will suit your needs? It takes some experience to make an own flavour of linux. We can help you at the Ubuntu Forums, but we cannot do the work for you.

Have fun finding out :-)
Olle

WasMeHere
November 21st, 2011, 09:00 AM
Would this work in 11.04 (or only older versions)?
http://askubuntu.com/questions/36671/how-to-make-an-oem-install (http://askubuntu.com/questions/36671/how-to-make-an-oem-install)

roajames
November 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM
I am an independent OEM system builder of PC's and intend to sell the pc's pre-installed with Ubuntu 11.04 or 11.10. Was guided to the alternate cd for 11.04 but i don't seem to find the option for OEM install. It was easily accessible for 9.04 desktop edition. :(

WasMeHere
November 21st, 2011, 04:51 PM
It is also there in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I'm not sure when it disappeared. Is there anyone here at the Ubuntu Forums who knows about OEM options in new releases of Ubuntu?

Would it be too complicated to build what you want from the alternate install iso? What about a direct question to Canonical?

roajames
November 23rd, 2011, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the replies Olle. Seems like you're the only one who replies. :D Yes maybe a direct question to canonical may give some insight and I will do that.

I would think that having the OEM install easily available would be an advantage to Ubuntu considering that the Ubuntu end user market is growing. :confused:

My end users who have had the opportunity to experience Ubuntu, most have stuck with it and actually find it soo much more better that windows. Plus of course the added advantage that Ubuntu like the other Linux distro's are free and everyting comes packaged "right out of the box". In my opinion Ubuntu Linux provides a true OOBE.

Will post back here once I get a reply from Canonical. Hopefully there is "a cure" which can be shared by all. :(

roajames
November 24th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Hello Olle,
Well I did manage to do an OEM install Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) using the alternate CD just 2hours ago and seems to be that all went well.
I actually went to the link that you indicated about How to make an OEM install instead of sending a direct question to Canonical.
Booted into the CD first, then the select language comes up, picked english and entered and from there hit F4 and it give the OEM install option.
Picked the OEM Install then hit install Ubuntu and from there it did its magic.
It did take some while to do though about an hour but I installed it on a older HP Mobo running an AMD Sempron processor with only 1GB memory.
After thats all done and after removing the install CD, restart and it then boots into the OEM system where you can then prepare the system for shipment.
Just hit the icon showing the "prepare for shipment to end user" a couple of questions later shut down and there its done all nicely ready for the end user.
However I have not restarted the machine yet but will do so soon and will post here the outcome.
If it was not for you and your link - i'd still be in limbo,
Thanks a million Olle. Its guys like you that help helpless guys like me and bring about pure esthetic pleasure with Ubuntu.
Cheers
James

WasMeHere
November 24th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience to everybody, roajames :-)

I'm glad my tips could help you. Finally, when you feel that everything works, please mark this thread SOLVED

Having fun finding out
Olle

roajames
November 25th, 2011, 04:57 AM
As expected the OEM install went well. Started the computer and it went in like a breeze into the select language and all the other basic requrements. Since it was an OEM install all the settings for language, time zone, keyboard etc were all there/done already but also with the option for the end user to re-edit and change if needed -
real cool :cool:.
Also did the updates and all went just dandy.
Ubuntu 11.10 Oniric Ocelot easy to use :KS
Cheers
James