PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sticking with Hardy (v8!)

jago25_98
November 20th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I've just pulled out an old computer I'd forgotten about. It has Ubuntu Hardy on it.

This is quite old but I think I'm going to keep it this way.

The reason being is that everytime I upgrade something breaks. Also I'm blown away with how much simpler everything is.
Probably what I should do is start afresh on a new drive (directory?) and then transfer over like you have to do with CentOS. But I can't be bothered.

So instead I'm only doing a apt-get upgrade. I think I still get security fixes with this...

Just wanted to share an opinion.

createdcreature
November 20th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Hardy does not get security updates anymore. Maybe Xubuntu?

jago25_98
November 20th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the tip off!

hmm... is a move to Xbuntu the best way to stay current without the upgrade problems? The last problem involved grub not booting and for a (now) headless server this could be a problem. I just want the easiest way to change and I'm not sure a switch to Xbuntu will be any different?

mikewhatever
November 20th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Hardy server edition is still supported - till 2013 - but you probably have the Desktop installed, don't you?

Sylslay
November 20th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 is ok.
I like gnome 2.3 won't be upgrade to anyting new for until get new laptop.

I indtaled 10.04 on all old machine and keep fiew freind happy.

10.04 is best OS for me.

Works great since last year since first tune up...

jago25_98
November 20th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Yes it's a desktop that I've tweaked with disabling X on boot to act as a server now.

I guess easiest thing is to switch it over to the server release then. Not sure how to do that; I get the impression I don't need to do anything but just not use anything graphical.