PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Terminal locked to foreground in Unity2d

Michael_K_Vegfruit
November 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I'm using Unity2d in Ubuntu 11.10, on an MSI Wind U100 with Intel graphics. When I launch terminal, it locks in the foreground. <strike>Additionally, I cannot access menu items from the global menu.</strike> {edit: I can access menu items, but they remain hidden behind the window; see my post, #3, below] I can switch to other apps using alt+tab, but Terminal remains on top. This means that I can't, for example, switch to Firefox to check commands to enter (my default behaviour when using terminal, I'm fairly newb-y and generally need to work from a step-by-step guide) or <strike>adjust the transparency of the terminal window so I can read through it.</strike> [edit: fixed this, see below]

Any advice?

This seems to affect other users in Unity2d: here's a help request on another site (http://superuser.com/questions/351496/why-does-the-terminal-in-unity-2d-ubuntu-11-10-always-stay-in-the-foreground). I can't see it on Launchpad or here.

Paddy Landau
November 20th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I suspect you have a rule in Compiz to make it on top.

When you open a terminal, right-click the title bar. Is there a tick next to "Always On Top"? If so, click it to clear it.

Let me know what happens; we can then look at Compiz if necessary.

Michael_K_Vegfruit
November 20th, 2011, 07:07 PM
My understanding was that Unity2d doesn't use Compiz. Your advice has helped me a little though: I realise now that the menu dropdowns aren't failing to show up, but the window is on top of them. I can drag (although still not reorder) the window, so was able to set transparency: now the drop down from the title bar right click shows up behind the window itself. "Always on top" isn't selected.

Paddy Landau
November 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM
My understanding was that Unity2d doesn't use Compiz.
Oops, sorry!

I think I'd best leave any further replies to people who know 2D better.

Michael_K_Vegfruit
November 20th, 2011, 07:44 PM
No problem, and thanks, you lead me to try a couple of things I hadn't before.

Antimethod
November 23rd, 2011, 01:03 AM
I have the same problem under Unity2D, though I have to add that the problem appears only when on dual-monitor for me.

lifeboy
June 14th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Well, I'm running 12.04 in Unity2D with dual monitor setup and nothing I can find fixes this bug.

Has this been resolved since the original report?