PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome 3 and Qt : issues

pierreb24
November 20th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Hello everyone !

I've a little problem with my new gnome 3 installation. In fact, near everything work fine and I love the concept, BUT there is this one small spot I can't solve : when some QT program is able to use the notification daemon, I've glich on my screen and graphical issues when I move workspace or change window.

This is very repetitive : everything is OK, but when I start skype (yeah, I know, skype is bad ...) the graphic glitch begin. Same problem when I use for example desktop drapes or vlc. Conclusion : it seems that every QT program in the notification zone make gnome unstable.

Do you have any solution ?

Thanks !

PS : Is it possible that the problem is linked with the fact that I use de proprietary radeon catalyst pilot ?
PPS : very sorry about my very weak English knowledge ...

pierreb24
November 20th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Edit : It make this kind of issues with transmition too. A general problem with the notification zone ? But why ryhtmbox works perfectly ?

typhoon_tip
November 20th, 2011, 02:19 PM
PS : Is it possible that the problem is linked with the fact that I use de proprietary radeon catalyst pilot ?

There you go, that's the problem. Still not 100% compatible with Gnome 3. Stick to Unity 3D for now...

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=99

(long long page...)

pierreb24
November 20th, 2011, 06:59 PM
There you go, that's the problem. Still not 100% compatible with Gnome 3. Stick to Unity 3D for now...

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=99

(long long page...)

No way I going back to unity, I'm not comfortable with it, I prefer Gnome 3. But thanks for the answer :) I'll check the open driver (but 1 year ago, it has no graphic acceleration implemented, not fine for gnome 3).

typhoon_tip
November 21st, 2011, 01:57 AM
No way I going back to unity, I'm not comfortable with it, I prefer Gnome 3. But thanks for the answer :) I'll check the open driver (but 1 year ago, it has no graphic acceleration implemented, not fine for gnome 3).

Now it is fine for 2D and 3D acceleration, only problem is that if you are using a laptop, you can use the cooling diffuser to cook your breakfast after using the laptop for a while :P Apart from this, it works smooth and fine.

pierreb24
November 21st, 2011, 05:28 PM
F**ck, that's what I have. But in the facts, using catalyst is not very better on this point, I think (I already have question about the fact that my laptop make some noise and heat, but I didn't think that's link with my radeon card !)

typhoon_tip
November 22nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
F**ck, that's what I have. But in the facts, using catalyst is not very better on this point, I think (I already have question about the fact that my laptop make some noise and heat, but I didn't think that's link with my radeon card !)

Lolll To me is intollerable the heat of the stock driver. I live in the tropics and often use my T400 in temps where even my body cannot work, let alone the video card... :-\"

Anyway, for now that is the only way to use Gnome 3. I prefer to stick with Unity and use the full power of Catalyst driver.