PDA

View Full Version : How would you like an Ubuntu phone?

Glenn nl
November 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I want to buy a phone with Ubuntu in 2014.
My dream Ubuntu phone would be:

A slide phone with Qwerty-keyboard and touchpad. A 4 inch screen (no touchscreen). With Wi-fi and a good camera.

Alwimo
November 20th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I would like to have a good program to download and listen to podcasts, to watch youtube on it, for it to have a good battery life. Being able to ring people occasionally would be nice.

Elfy
November 20th, 2011, 09:42 AM
If I could buy one for £10 that I can phone and txt on I'd buy one otherwise I'd ignore it just like I ignore the rest :)

If it had big buttons so I didn't need glasses I'd pay £15 ...

dgw
November 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Ubuntu's system requirements are too high to make a good phone OS unless it's modified quite a lot or unless phone specs get better.

newbie2
November 20th, 2011, 11:57 AM
If I could buy one for £10 that I can phone and txt on I'd buy one otherwise I'd ignore it just like I ignore the rest :)

If it had big buttons so I didn't need glasses I'd pay £15 ...
I would like that Logitech or an other firm would develop a round-mini-finger-wireless-trackball...here is something, but not wireless and not round :
http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/hand_trackball_2.jpg?w=302&h=269
http://androidforums.com/android-accessories/437690-good-mini-finger-trackball-would-usefull.html
:popcorn:

Tibuda
November 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
trashed. linux already have a successful phone os.

jjex22
November 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I must admit that since I first read about Mark Shuttleworth's announcement that Ubuntu plan's to go mobile, I've been a bit worried about the possibility of closed licences.

I have no basis to think like this - let's face it mr shuttleworth does't need the money and isn't ceo anymore anyway, plus he's been devoted to the open source model since the 90's. It's just experience - I don't want Ubuntu to become the new osx/chrome os/possibly android (honeycomb code)

Doubt it would do, I'm just always a skeptic! In terms of the theory, I can't see the need/demand myself, but choice is always a good thing, and if canonical as a whole can do for mobile os's what they've done for linux it can only be a good thing!

tartalo
November 20th, 2011, 02:02 PM
does't need the money

Mark Shuttleworth might not need it but Canonical is trying desperately to be Apple make money, Ubuntu App Store Software Center, Ubuntu iTunes One: Music Store...

If the role model for Canonical is a company that even mandates what the users can install or not in their devices, you have good reasons to fear for your four essential freedoms.

anna2112
November 24th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Having ubuntu phone..is a great idea !!! maybe ill have one in year 2016...but i dont know if ubuntu phone is still in !!!

Omegus
October 7th, 2012, 03:38 AM
I hate to necrobump. But I want a Ubuntu Phone BADLY, Is there any updates on the project?

mr john
October 7th, 2012, 03:59 AM
i'll be happy if i'm still alive in 2014

desperately to be Apple make money, Ubuntu App Store Software Center

IMO the Software Centre looks more like Google Play. Either way, that's the way all the big tech companies are going. Microsoft used to have an app store a long time before Apple... But people complained that it was an abuse of their monopoly and it became very diluted.

whatthefunk
October 7th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Why are people so obsessed with Ubuntu phones? Ubuntu is a desktop OS and would suck on a phone. What would an Ubuntu phone do better than an Android one? Why should Canonical split its resources to enter the mobile market when it has next to no chance of competing against the likes of Apple, Samsung, Google, and other OS/hardware makers? Where is the line of people waiting for Ubuntu washing machines? I want to stand in that line.

mamamia88
October 7th, 2012, 05:04 AM
I really have no desire for one. Android and ios are good enough with enough apps already out there i really don't see the reason to consider anything else.

cariboo
October 7th, 2012, 06:49 AM
I hate to necrobump. But I want a Ubuntu Phone BADLY, Is there any updates on the project?

I'd suggest you check out Mark's keynote speech at UDS-R on October 29th, for any news.

As far as I know, there aren't any plans for an Ubuntu phone, but Ubuntu on Android, is a definite possibility, see here (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android)

Paqman
October 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Why should Canonical split its resources to enter the mobile market when it has next to no chance of competing against the likes of Apple, Samsung, Google, and other OS/hardware makers?

Exactly. Canonical would be far better off working on tight integration with Android. There are going to be a lot of devices running Android in the home in the near future (it's the OS of choice for Smart TVs, for example), and Ubuntu would do well to get on board.

Omegus
October 7th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Hey, I cannot wait for Marks Keynote. The main reason I want a Ubuntu phone is a solid integration between phone , computer and TV. And of course as soon as Ubuntu for android and Ubuntu TV comes out I'll be all over those in a heartbeat.

Blackmag+c
October 8th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I think integration is key here. Ubuntu is linux. Android is linux. If they were truly seamless and shiny then I think that in turn would score a lot of brownie points in terms of converting people to linux. A hell of a lot of people have an android phone or indeed as another have said a smart tv, so why wouldn't they want to extend that experience?

A digital home, if you will.

alexfish
October 8th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Ubuntu's system requirements are too high to make a good phone OS unless it's modified quite a lot or unless phone specs get better.

Goobuntu: Google's in-house desktop Ubuntu Linux ... (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=google%20with%20ubuntu&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CDQQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zdnet.com%2Fthe-truth-about-goobuntu-googles-in-house-desktop-ubuntu-linux-7000003462%2F&ei=Sx1yUIqGH8iW0QXOvYGIAw&usg=AFQjCNH7sVXjTD4XFwrnyKPoIYHGqYpoyA)

The truth and nothing but the truth.

By a pair of real phone "spec"'s and start reading , get well soon

Regards

alexfish

litiform
October 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I don't like any of the non-Apple hardware.

But my OS of choice would def be Ubuntu or FirefoxOS.