PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot boot 10.04lts from USB

davidshelton
November 20th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I have tried with disc creator twice to make a bootable usb with the image file for ubuntu 10.04LTS but all I get is some credits to Alvin someone or other and then this message directly below :
unknown keyword in configuration file : gfxboot

Then I get the following repeated constantly:

vesamenu.c32 : not a CDM32R image
boot :
vesamenu.c32 : not a CDM32R image
boot:

...and so on. I did md5checksum on the iso file. All good there. Tried with disc creator and the other usb disc creator from the software centre with the exactly same result. It's corrupted or something needs to be corrected. How? What can I do to fix it? I couldn't find any matches to that message neither with google nor on the forums....

PLEASE NOTE : my system is a Toshiba laptop(c655-6001L) running celeron and intel onboard graphics and ubuntu 11.10(way too slow!)

raja.genupula
November 20th, 2011, 07:02 AM
look at post number 10
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-mint-84/trying-to-boot-linux-mint-9-from-usb-flash-drive-vesamenu-c32-not-a-com32r-image-829397/

davidshelton
November 21st, 2011, 12:47 AM
Ok. Thanks for the response. So I tried that line of code in the terminal and to no avail. Just says /dev/sdb1 is invalid directory. Other combinations including my USB stick name don't work either. So I tried the work arounds mentioned. Tab got me past that annoying bug to the next annoying bug whereby it says it is unable to find live file system on the media or words to that effect. Why does creating a bootable usb have to be such a hassle? I'm trying to roll back to 10.04lts because performance is terribly slow at times with 11.10. Sometimes DVD's are unviewable because of choppy slowness. I hate to say it but Windows 7 worked very well and was way faster on my puny little toshiba. (Celeron with Intel onboard graphics = very puny).
Any ideas before I sell my laptop and get a Mac? I'm at the end of my tether here but don't really want to give up on Ubuntu just yet...

davidshelton
November 21st, 2011, 04:07 AM
(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system

This is the error I am getting now.... any ideas?

davidshelton
November 21st, 2011, 04:36 AM
....so I've tried messing around with the syslinux.cfg file inputing copying and pasting code from other threads. Could this be the way to solve it? What is the correct code for this file?

davidshelton
November 21st, 2011, 05:12 AM
......sooooooooo tried to make a new bootable usb with unetbootin. No go! Get's stuck at a blue screen where only option is default and the 10 second countdown keeps resetting. I can get to a dos prompt by pressing escape but then I have no clue what to do... giving up for today!