PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot start Ubuntu. Menu is skipped on startup.

blitzenflitzen
November 20th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I have recently downloaded and installed Ubuntu on my Gateway laptop. The installation went smooth and now I'm trying to start Ubuntu. When I restart my computer, however, the boot selection screen where I would pick to start in Windows or Ubuntu is skipped. If it helps, my computer has the PhoenixBIOS.

collisionystm
November 20th, 2011, 02:06 AM
I have recently downloaded and installed Ubuntu on my Gateway laptop. The installation went smooth and now I'm trying to start Ubuntu. When I restart my computer, however, the boot selection screen where I would pick to start in Windows or Ubuntu is skipped. If it helps, my computer has the PhoenixBIOS.

Does it just continue to boot windows?

blitzenflitzen
November 20th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Yes, that's correct. It continues to boot Windows like nothing ever was installed.

collisionystm
November 20th, 2011, 02:11 AM
How did you install Ubuntu? From inside of Windows?

drs305
November 20th, 2011, 02:15 AM
blitzenflitzen,

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums.

If possible, boot the Ubuntu CD from which you installed Ubuntu. Download and run the boot info script and post the contents of RESULTS.txt

This file will provide us with information regarding your boot status. You could also try to solve things with the Boot Repair tool, which is also capable of running the boot info script.

The script is available via the "BIS" link in my signature, where there is also a link the the "Boot Repair" page.

blitzenflitzen
November 20th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I installed from inside of Windows using wubi so I don't have a CD. Is there some boot record from that I can show?

drs305
November 20th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Take a look at the Wubi Megathread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198), specifically Problem #2. See if it or the other solutions might help.

You can run the boot info script from any Linux platform, so if you got to any type of Linux platform with an Internet browser you can download and run the script. But see if the Megathread helps first. You can also create a bootable Boot Repair CD if that is an option.