PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem trying to go back to 11.04 Nattty

esg10
November 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Hi I'm currently using 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot. Ever since I upgraded I been having problems with the cd-rom. For some reason every time I inserted a cd it would not do anything. So I went on the internet brought up terminal and all I can remember is changing the cd-rom 'Natty Narwhal' to 'Oneiric Ocelot'. So for example if we were to go to [System Settings] then [Software Sources] [Ubuntu Software] it would say "CDrom with Ubuntu 10.04 'Natty Narwhal'" and on [Other Software] it would be checked and it would say "Cdrom with Ubuntu 10.04 'Natty Narwhal'". ....

Ever since I changed Natty Narwhal 10.04 to Oneiric Ocelot 11.10 I have been getting BOOT Problems. Every time I re-start my computer i get "error mounting mount/dev/sda1" press s to continue or m to edit.

I don't know what I did, I'm a complete noob. All I know is how to upgrade and update from terminal $sudo.

I believe that I upgraded to 11.10 with errors. So yesterday I downloaded 10.04 on a USB stick and re-started my computer to re install 10.04 but it just gives me the "error mounting mount/dev/sda1". I have tried so many things like the boot menu switching it to USB hardrive and all the other ones and enabling... but I still get the same error. Please help. Ty.

dniMretsaM
November 19th, 2011, 05:33 PM
How did you put 10.04 on the USB stick? Did you use a tool like UNetbootin or did you just copy it over like a regular file?

esg10
November 19th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I used Start up DISK CREATOR.
you know, I followed the steps from the UBUNTU site.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

dniMretsaM
November 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Ok, good. So your sure that you have your BIOS set to boot from USB before everything else? And when do you get the error? Before it boots or sometime during the installation process.

esg10
November 19th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I get the error when I boot.

I can't Install at all because it doesn't recognize Cd-rom or USB.
I don't get it, I was able to open USB stick when I was downloading 10.04... I can also see 10.04 inside my USB stick every time I put in the computer it shows up. But when I re boot it doesn't show me any installation menu... just "error mounting mount/dev/sda1"

dniMretsaM
November 19th, 2011, 06:26 PM
So your BIOS doesn't support booting from USB/CD?