PDA

View Full Version : idea for smart dragging of windows ?

NoTiG
June 4th, 2006, 05:10 AM
im not sure where else to put this. i sent it to the GTK list group once but it was ignored so i guess it wasnt the right place.....

but basically I like the Blended theme http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=26050

but in order to be able to use it, it would be nice to have it so that if you clicked anywhere on the window... that did not serve some other function... that you could drag the window... instead of having that very small "handlebar" at the top that you have to click to dragon something. does anyone else see what im saying ? even windows doest have this. and i am sure its not hard to program. I can draw pics if anyone needs me to show exactly what i mean.

teet
June 4th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Makes sense to me...for this theme at least. But aren't the actual window border and menubar/buttons two seperate things (metacity vs. GTK2)? That's probably the problem.

You could always just hold down Alt + left click and drag.

-teet

Kindred
June 4th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Hold down Alt and try and drag anywhere on the window? Sounds like what you mean.. perhaps.

teet
June 4th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Hold down Alt and try and drag anywhere on the window? Sounds like what you mean.. perhaps.

I don't think that's what he meant exactly.

Look at the theme and read his post again and it should be clear.

-teet

Edit: I just fired up iTunes on my windows machine...if anybody has this installed open it up. Click anywhere on the brushed metal part (not the window/title bar necessarily) and note that you can drag the window around this way. I think this is what NoTiG is talking about.

NoTiG
June 4th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Well not exactly.. if you down alt you can click anywhere on the screen... even over a place that has a function... and then move it. but if you programmed it so it did that without holding the alt down... and as default instead... then you would lose whatever funciton there was. for exampe when you hold the mouse down on a web page it can either click something like a URL or be used to drag to highlight text. What i mean is to use spaces on the browser that dont have a purpose... if you look at the File Edit View etc... commands... to the right of those is a bunch of blank space... if you click it nothing happens. so in essence its inefficient... and for this theme to work right you should be able to click there (and even if your not using the theme it would be nice to have )

I want dapper to use a new edgy theme like this ... and somehow adapt it... the blended theme. but it will only work if this small change can be made.