PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] So how do I configure my UI?

ololtest
November 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM
In Oneiric there is almost no configuration for the interface. How can I move the dock, how can I add jumpstarters to the Icons AND most importantly: How can I remove the global menu and instead put the normal launcher menu like it existed in natty back to the left side of the top bar? And the one button "guess that apps name" launcher is totally useless, how con I tweak it in a consistent way? I tried compiz config, but everything in there is incompatible with other modules, messes up the hotkeys or does not have an effect at all.

Frogs Hair
November 19th, 2011, 04:46 PM
The questions you have can be answered with your favorite search engine . Webupd8 and OMG Ubuntu usually have information on the latest tweaks and PPAS .

fjgaude
November 19th, 2011, 07:22 PM
It is seen as the moving of time into new eras... you might wish to change OSs to Mint or try Ubuntu with the Classic gnome 3 option available when you use the log on screen.

The future comes now. We stay where we have been or more toward it:

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2011/11/17/12-04-ubuntu-developer-summit-proceedings/

Have a good life!

Copper Bezel
November 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Mint has nothing to do with it. It's the same options you have under Ubuntu.

ololtest, as fjgaude notes, you might try gnome-session-fallback, which can be installed from the repositories and run with Compiz. The Unity interface isn't a collection of parts you can re-arrange like Lego blocks, so it's not going to give you most of those configuration options.

ololtest
November 20th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the fallback hint. But regarding Unitys like it is,... WHY? Is it like that, its totally not useful for huge wide screens.

Copper Bezel
November 20th, 2011, 03:10 AM
The focus seems to be smaller screens, yeah. It grew up from the Ubuntu Netbook Remix interface. The click targets are larger or butted against screen edges for the most part, though, so you can afford to be sloppier with mouse clicks. I've never used it with anything but a (very nice) touchpad, though, so it might be more inconvenient with a physical mouse than I'd predict.