PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ALIX install: Package linux-image-386 not found

ygoe
November 19th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Hi,

I am currently preparing my CF card for use in an ALIX 3d3 box following those instructions: http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Alix/CF-Bootmedium_erstellen

When it comes to installing the kernel, with "apt-get -y install linux-image-386", the response is: "unable to locate package linux-image-386". I've also tried with "i386" instead "386" but the kernel cannot be found.

What should I do next?

Oh, I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 for everything.

ygoe
November 20th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Nevermind, the kernel linux-image-generic is just as fine, although not recommended by that tutorial.

By the way, don't try extlinux and just go with GRUB. extlinux doesn't do anything. It had cost me a few hours to figure that out. GRUB works just fine on the ALIX board and on my notebook (via USB CF card reader).

MAFoElffen
November 20th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Nevermind, the kernel linux-image-generic is just as fine, although not recommended by that tutorial.

By the way, don't try extlinux and just go with GRUB. extlinux doesn't do anything. It had cost me a few hours to figure that out. GRUB works just fine on the ALIX board and on my notebook (via USB CF card reader).
Most of your problems seem to stem from that Tutorial being over 3 years old. :pts of changes since then.

ygoe
November 21st, 2011, 08:27 AM
Well, it claims to be tested with Ubuntu 11.04 which is not so old now... But it seems it has not been updated after 10.04 and that's where the changes come from.

Now I've got my own script for 11.10 which I may eventually publish.

rufik
November 22nd, 2011, 10:32 PM
Now I've got my own script for 11.10 which I may eventually publish.

Could you share?

ygoe
November 25th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Here's the current draft. It's incomplete for the LED and WLAN part, but the base system works fine so far. German only. PDF and automated bash script included.

http://unclassified.de/tmp/ubuntu-11.10-alix-3d3.7z

(A more stable URL will follow.)

ygoe
May 6th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I have upgraded my ALIX and the installation tutorial for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS just in case somebody would be interested in it. It wasn't a big deal, mostly replacing "oneiric" with "precise". I'm still looking for a decent place to publish it, preferably near my website or maybe some Ubuntu wiki.

binary_dreamer
October 1st, 2012, 07:20 AM
Hi. i am afraid i am getting into a problem with this file. it says that it is corrupted. is is possible to get the instructions?

also will it work for all alix variants?