PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How can I move the window buttons to the right side in Ubuntu 11.10?

jaime256
November 19th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Well I tried a few other distros and some of them just won't even load correctly so I'm back trying 11.10. I got the gnome shell installed but still can't find what I need. How can I change the window buttons to the right side now? Before I could just right click on the desktop and change things there, now there's nothing other than the colors. Any help is appreciated. I'm using the classic mode I guess, but since it's 11.10 some things aren't where they used to be. By the buttoms I mean the close, minimize and expand on each window.

jaime256
November 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Okay, I found the answer to my question in case anyone else is looking for this.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13535/move-window-buttons-back-to-the-right-in-ubuntu-10.04/

So for those trying to get back to the basics with Ubuntu 11.10 here's what I did.
1. After installing the new ubuntu, before you actually log in for the first time, change to the 2d on the logging screen where the gear is. This will allow unity to at least work the first time.

2. Go into the software center, search for gnome shell. Install it.

3. Log out and change to classic before logging back in.

4. Go back into the software center, search for gnome tweak and change the above for your window buttons. This should at least get you back to basics. You can choose the order of the buttons too which is pretty neat. Why the hell did they have to hide all this basic stuff is beyond me, but there you go.

Now if I can just find a way to move the login to the middle of the screen like a normal person would use it, that would be great.