PDA

View Full Version : Potatoes Tasting Strange?

Garland Fox
November 19th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Say, has anyone noticed anything strange about russet potatoes?

I buy our potatoes for home in 10# bags or smaller. In the summer time it is a little warmer in our kitchen where we store them and they seem to spoil too quickly.

They spoil a lot of the time from the inside out without showing damage on the outside. The will show what looks like black stain inside the pulp. The red ones seem less likely to spoil and taste and smell more like potatoes.

Often the regular russets do not even smell or taste like a potato (raw or cooked).

Does anyone know if the potato growers are playing with the genetics of potatoes or could this be a potato disease... or my imagination?

Anywho, good morning from the half-baked.

ballantony
November 19th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Frankly, I blame the poor quality of your potatoes on the Unity desktop. I bet we wouldn't be having this problem if Ubuntu had stuck to GNOME 2.

Garland Fox
November 19th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I guess you COULD do your Unity like I do my potatoes - drown them in grease and ketchup - then carry on...

Thats the way I trying -- mebbe we shud call them Unity taters.

BlinkinCat
November 19th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Maybe you could do with these storage tips - :)

http://www.ehow.com/how_4549561_can-store-potatoes-onions-together.html

Garland Fox
November 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Gonna be tuff to store taters around my house in those conditions - cool and dark and moist - hmmm.
Just have to eat em faster but thanks for the info - garage storage might work in the winter - I dont use it for a vehicle.

Now what about if they don't even taste right when they are fresh?
Thank you much for reply and good morning.

poodoopealeoap
November 19th, 2011, 12:32 PM
GMO'S!!!!!! By genetically modifying the potato, there may be strange tastes... and strange outcomes! Most vegetables out there today are genetically modified. That basically means that they aren't safe. Why would I say that? Well, because GMO's are offered to cattle along with regular vegetables. When given the choice, cattle will 100% of the time, eat the natural vegetables and completely avoid the GMO's. Beware! GMO's are dangerous!

Garland Fox
November 19th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Good plan as long as we can tell the difference?

Linuxratty
November 19th, 2011, 01:47 PM
]

Actually,all our domesticated plants have been genetically altered,but it used to be dome the old fashioned way,not the mixing of genes way with gm's. None of the food plants we buy now looked that way originally.

thatguruguy
November 19th, 2011, 02:45 PM
GMO'S!!!!!! By genetically modifying the potato, there may be strange tastes... and strange outcomes! Most vegetables out there today are genetically modified. That basically means that they aren't safe. Why would I say that? Well, because GMO's are offered to cattle along with regular vegetables. When given the choice, cattle will 100% of the time, eat the natural vegetables and completely avoid the GMO's. Beware! GMO's are dangerous!

You're right about vegetables being genetically altered.

For instance, both corn and wheat started out as wild grasses. Carrots used to come in a variety of colors, but orange really wasn't one of them. The list goes on and on.

For as long as there's been horticulture (which is a long, long time), people have been genetically altering plants. ALL VEGETABLES SHOULD BE AVOIDED.

Gremlinzzz
November 19th, 2011, 03:04 PM

I buy our potatoes for home in 10# bags or smaller. In the summer time it is a little warmer in our kitchen where we store them and they seem to spoil too quickly.

They spoil a lot of the time from the inside out without showing damage on the outside. The will show what looks like black stain inside the pulp. The red ones seem less likely to spoil and taste and smell more like potatoes.

Often the regular russets do not even smell or taste like a potato (raw or cooked).

Does anyone know if the potato growers are playing with the genetics of potatoes or could this be a potato disease... or my imagination?

Have noticed that red potato's do last longer and the veggies do spoil quicker:popcorn:

oxf
November 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Frankly, I blame the poor quality of your potatoes on the Unity desktop. I bet we wouldn't be having this problem if Ubuntu had stuck to GNOME 2.

Run: "sudo spud"

and post output please

Katja

oldos2er
November 20th, 2011, 02:16 AM

They spoil a lot of the time from the inside out without showing damage on the outside. The will show what looks like black stain inside the pulp.

Sounds like it's your own personal Irish potato famine.

Gremlinzzz
November 20th, 2011, 03:26 AM

Talking to a relative they said the same thing about black stain inside the pulp.I usually microwave mine you know like a bake potato,so i probably didn't notice the inside,just put butter on it and didn't get sick.:popcorn:

Dry Lips
November 20th, 2011, 03:48 AM
You're right about vegetables being genetically altered.

For instance, both corn and wheat started out as wild grasses. Carrots used to come in a variety of colors, but orange really wasn't one of them. The list goes on and on.

For as long as there's been horticulture (which is a long, long time), people have been genetically altering plants. ALL VEGETABLES SHOULD BE AVOIDED.

Oh, I guess you're one of those who keep a glowing bunny as a pet. ;)

Seriously, what you're saying are true, but transgenesis makes it possible
to combine genes of completely unrelated species, like jellyfish and rabbit.
That's impossible to achieve through "normal" breeding.

I'm not opposed to genetic engineering, but I think that there are several good
reasons to be cautious of GMO foods.

/off topic

F.G.
November 20th, 2011, 05:42 AM
so, i generally go for maris piper, they are more flourly. and make good chips, and roasted 'tatoes.

also apparently the reason why carrots are orange is that they were bred for the Dutch royal family (and orange is their colour).

oh yes, and what precicely s wrong with GM foods???

lisati
November 20th, 2011, 05:51 AM
For now, all I'll say is this: beware of GREEN potatoes.

HermanAB
November 20th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Buy potatoes marked "Not for agricultural use". Those have been irradiated with alpha particles and will not sprout or spoil easily.

Garland Fox
November 20th, 2011, 01:29 PM
not for agricultural use - got that one

F.G.
November 20th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Buy potatoes marked "Not for agricultural use". Those have been irradiated with alpha particles and will not sprout or spoil easily.
isn't alpha radiation the kind that is only really harmful if you eat it (in which case it is extremely damaging).

also, are these the kind of potatoes that are designed to last forever (and be stockpiled in nuclear bomb shelters etc)?

CharlesA
November 20th, 2011, 03:23 PM
isn't alpha radiation the kind that is only really harmful if you eat it (in which case it is extremely damaging).

Yeah. So, don't eat irradiated food unless you have some RadAway handy. :P