PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Are KDE, LXDE or Xfce well integrate and compatible as Gnome was?

nodnolse1
November 19th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I am asking this because after trying the latest Gnome (Unity and Shell version), I have realised that all that stuff is not for me. I also understood that if I keep the Gnome 2.x I'll loose security updates an compatibility, for instance, I use often a machine with Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) and in few weeks, even having all the updated ppa, I can't install the latest version of programs that usually I use. I always have used Gnome since more than 10 years, I can't realize if others Desktop Environments like that on post title are full compatible as Gnome did until version 2.x. The interested pc, is used half as worlstation and half as server. Then it's very important to me move into a stable and well compatible Desktop Environment. Thanks to this change of path made by Ubuntu and Gnome, I'll have to migrate years of settings, scripts and many many others personalizations. Thanks for reading and hopefully, helping, Paolo

Ps: keeping this trend, in few years, Gnome and his partners will invent a pc with a mouse with just one key, ms outlook on board and maybe a 'Boot Camp' like ;)

BobMarleyy
November 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM
The other desktop environments can be very good, even better than gnome in my opinion. I also stuck to gnome 2.x and tried unity/gnome shell for 2 weeks, but I switched to Xubuntu (xfce desktop). This desktop reminds me of the gnome 2.x desktop and it is highly configurable.
If you do not mind testing try the different desktops, or even try different official ubuntus (kubu, xubu, lubu).
Xubuntu is my favourite

Cheers,
Bob

3Miro
November 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM
All GTK2 apps work perfectly well under XFCE. The newer GTK3 versions need a tweak in the theme. In many ways I think XFCE is more then Gnome 2.

There is no measure for which to say that KDE is less advanced then Gnome. You have a large set of good native apps and KDE can run anything GTK just fine.

LXDE is the newest DE and as such in may experience it tends to be a bit less stable. However, LXDE certainly can run any GTK app.

In short, I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "compatible" or "integrate".

tartalo
November 19th, 2011, 02:29 PM
After trying Unity, Gnome Shell, KDE, XFCE and LXDE I decided to go for KDE in my desktop and LXDE in my netbook.

What I like most about KDE are all the full-featured programs that I have been missing all these years of default-ubuntu-user. But it's QT and GTK programs even if they work perfectly they look ugly by default, anyway they can be themed, GTK2 is already solved and GTK3 is almost there.